Kahuna Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 68 reviews

4.4
Kahuna CEO Sameer Patel
Sameer Patel
Pros
  • "We just moved to the new office in the downtown Redwood City and next to the Caltrain station(in 7 reviews)

• "I recommend Kahuna for the experience of a lifetime to feel what it's like to work for a truly Silicon Valley startup(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing rapidly and there have been some growing pains with implementing new process, checks and balances, new management, etc(in 5 reviews)

• "Commuting to Palo Alto for anyone that lives in San Francisco can be less than amazing(in 5 reviews)

"Excellent Learning Environment"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Insanely passionate colleagues and leadership. 100% ownership of projects. Budget for professional growth and learning opportunities. A unique approach to a growing problem.

Cons

Due to the growth stage of the company and market, there can be an unlimited workload if you do not set boundaries!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on culture and people. Focus on the most aligned customers to continue to iterate on the product.

Kahuna2017-03-13

"Talent Wins Games, Teamwork Wins Championships"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming from an engineering role in a large corporation, I was both eager and nervous at the start of my first client-facing role on the Technical Services team at Kahuna. In a matter of weeks, I grew to love the work, the team, and the pace at which I was learning new things. Everyone is extremely knowledgable, and their motivation and willingness to help each other is contagious. Although I only spent a year there,... I was able to obtain extremely marketable skills that will follow me for the rest of my career.

Cons

Overall company growth could have been better in the past year but that’s primarily due to hiring a new CEO and some organizational changes. As with most personnel shifts, it takes time to get people onboard with the next play that’s being called. Kahuna also faces the same challenges many startups do in finding the right product/market fit, but they have the right amount of talent working there to overcome this... obstacle.

Advice to Management

Customer Success has the skills to identify what the market needs. Product and Engineering have the skills to build it. The Sales team has the skills to find the right people to buy it. Trust and respect each other’s domain specific knowledge and you will be able to connect the dots that your competitors have yet to even imagine.

Kahuna2017-06-24

"Lack of clear direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Extremely smart and talented people who are willing to go above and beyond 2. Great office location 3. Flexible work environment

Cons

1.The typical startup hustle is missing, so the office seems pretty empty before 10am and after 4pm on most days. 2. Tansparency is just a lip service. No one really lives the value. There's no context on the decision making, plan etc. 3. Sales driven culture. No one cares about product, customer success, engineering etc anymore. It's all about Sales. If you are not in sales or not a buddy of the head... of sales, you're treated as a second class citizen.

Advice to Management

1. Shift focus from personal agendas and personal brand building exercises to team/company culture and success. 2. It helps to be transparent on what decisions are being made and why 3. Act on poor performers quickly or lose your top performers.

Kahuna2017-06-02

"Is it a time for CEO or HR to take action?.."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Strong engineers with a lot of creativity - All team members are doing multiple roles - Advanced technologies - Good benefits

Cons

Management culture: One of the engineering managers will scream to employees and use "F" words during team meetings. What is the next: she will be punching employees into the face? This is become a pattern.

Advice to Management

Please solve problem of management acting counter productive and company will get better future

Kahuna2017-03-09

"Learnt a lot and solved real life business problems"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Kahuna for two years and I've seen so many things change from early startup stage to where it is now in 2017. During my time, I learnt a lot about mobile technology and worked with amazing co-workers who supported me both emotionally and professionally. The perks for working at a startup like Kahuna are that I got to work in very dynamic environment and I solved real life business problems for my clients... with technology tools. I had the sense that my solutions and hard work were respected and valued by my team and company as well as by my clients whom I served as an extension to their dev teams. I recommend Kahuna for the experience of a lifetime to feel what it's like to work for a truly Silicon Valley startup.

Cons

This job is not for the faint-hearted. There are many times when you have to go above-and-beyond the job duty. You can't simply apply basic book knowledge to implement unique use cases or solve complex business problems that affect big brands’ bottom lines. There are times you must think outside of the box and come up with creative ideas. You might be called upon to roll up your sleeves to find workarounds and hack... like a pro. If you're ready and up for this type of challenge, you will find it here at Kahuna.

Advice to Management

Some employees might be curious about bonus expenses listed in quarterly financial statements. Therefore for full transparency, it is probably a good idea to explain to everyone how the bonuses are structured and awarded.

Kahuna2017-02-01

February 12, 2017CEO

Thank you for your two years of service. I think you accurately summarized our “dynamic environment” and am glad that you felt challenged and empowered in your role. It is true that we are pretty scrappy and expect our team members to wear many hats here. We believe that the intensity that comes from this is half the fun of working at a fast growing start-up such as ours. I appreciate the feedback on bonuses. We strive to be clear with employees about their own individual compensation plan as well as expectations for attainment on any variable component but understand that this could be made clearer. Thanks again for making the time to write this.

"Everyone is on YOUR team"

I have been working at Kahuna full-time

Pros

Open work environment and really nice people. You'll rarely, if ever, hear the words, "that's not my job." The company is positioned to make some exciting moves in the near future and is appropriately growing out its teams.

Cons

Can't think of anything major to report here...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Kahuna2016-12-13

"Hateful Environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some benefits - Free food 3 times per week - Close to Caltrain

Cons

- You will be asked to write positive reviews for company - You will be asked to participate in social media ads - You will see a lot of disrespect from co-workers in engineering - Some engineers are rude, Trump style culture - Former Salesforce managers seems are not really experienced

Advice to Management

Do not hire managers if they been expelled somewhere else

Kahuna2017-01-11

February 12, 2017CEO

This review is difficult to process as I haven’t seen rudeness or disrespect being exhibited in the Engineering team during my tenure at Kahuna. As to writing reviews and participating on Social Media, yes absolutely - we do encourage our employees to contribute, but in an authentic way. On my watch, no one has *ever* been asked to write a positive review. Our culture amp survey shows employees have incredible belief in the company and our values, and if they are willing to share some of this openly, we absolutely want prospective colleagues and customers to know what it’s like to work with us. All that said, I’m always appreciative of feedback and I have no doubt that there is always room for improvement. Thank you for making the time to write this.

"An amazing & inspiring place to work"

in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna for more than a year

Pros

I am thrilled to be part of a business where not only is my voice heard, and appreciated, but I also enjoy working with the people I am surrounded by. I love helping Kahuna grow as a business both from a outsider perspective as well as a employee point of view. Kahuna is a true start up. It has a work hard, play hard mentality, but it also allows for a good work/life balance. If you are looking to work for a... company where you can have fun with your co-workers, and be involved with decisions that make an impact in the business, than Kahuna is a place for you. Upper management is supportive, motivating and transparent…oh and quite funny at times. They all have amazing experience/backgrounds and truly seem to care about their teams both in and outside of the office. We recently moved to a new facility in downtown Redwood City. The location is amazing!!! 100 yards from the CalTrain Station, making my commute from SF only 35 minutes. Its an open floor environment, which makes everyone approachable. Even our CEO Sameer Patel has a desk on the floor and is easily accessible throughout the day.

Cons

We need more brand awareness. Now that the product has pivoted and we are now considered a Smart Marketing Automation Platform, we need to get the word out about the products improvements/features

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work. The company has turned a corner and I am personally excited to see where we are in a year from now.

Kahuna2016-11-22

February 12, 2017CEO

I couldn’t agree more - I’m privileged to work with a fantastic team who is dedicated to changing the face of marketing automation for brands and questions the status quo every day as we build new capabilities for the modern marketer. You are correct on the topic of brand awareness: I’m extremely sensitive to building a substantive brand that can show real proof points. The new product is showing results and happy customers and we can now authentically build a brand presence to introduce Kahuna to the rest of the world. As you’re aware, we just added some new great folks to our marketing team and have already seen fantastic results from their efforts in just a few months.

"A collaborative team that hustles every day to delight customers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

We are privileged to offer very differentiated software in a huge market that's looking for modern alternatives. The team is an incredibly passionate and self-less bunch that lives by our company values every day We leave our titles at home and jump in to help on anything. Our leaders know how to get out of the way and let smart people be everything that they can be. Our location - we're 50 seconds from Caltrain..., in downtown Redwood City.

Cons

We don't take ourselves too seriously - we keep listening to our customers and we adjust quickly. As is the case with any promising start-up looking to do big things, you have to have a stomach for constant improvement and refinement.

Kahuna2016-11-22

February 12, 2017CEO

Thanks for the review. I am glad that you continue to be inspired by our colleagues, who as you wrote, do their work with passion and autonomy. And I love that you understand that change and constant improvement is paramount if we are to meet and exceed our customer's expectations in such a dynamic market.

"Great product & company culture"

Principal Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna

Pros

Collaborative culture, focused on making a big impact for customers. Very strong talent pool across business and engineering functions. Great new office space next to CalTrain.

Cons

Typical risks of a series B funded startup

Kahuna2016-11-17