Kahuna "redwood city" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kahuna Employee Reviews about "redwood city"

Updated Nov 22, 2016

4.4
Kahuna CEO Sameer Patel
Sameer Patel
Pros
  • "We just moved to the new office in the downtown Redwood City and next to the Caltrain station(in 7 reviews)

• "I recommend Kahuna for the experience of a lifetime to feel what it's like to work for a truly Silicon Valley startup(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing rapidly and there have been some growing pains with implementing new process, checks and balances, new management, etc(in 5 reviews)

• "Commuting to Palo Alto for anyone that lives in San Francisco can be less than amazing(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "redwood city"

Return to all Reviews

"An amazing & inspiring place to work"

in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna for more than a year

Pros

I am thrilled to be part of a business where not only is my voice heard, and appreciated, but I also enjoy working with the people I am surrounded by. I love helping Kahuna grow as a business both from a outsider perspective as well as a employee point of view. Kahuna is a true start up. It has a work hard, play hard mentality, but it also allows for a good work/life balance. If you are looking to work for a... company where you can have fun with your co-workers, and be involved with decisions that make an impact in the business, than Kahuna is a place for you. Upper management is supportive, motivating and transparent…oh and quite funny at times. They all have amazing experience/backgrounds and truly seem to care about their teams both in and outside of the office. We recently moved to a new facility in downtown Redwood City. The location is amazing!!! 100 yards from the CalTrain Station, making my commute from SF only 35 minutes. Its an open floor environment, which makes everyone approachable. Even our CEO Sameer Patel has a desk on the floor and is easily accessible throughout the day.

Cons

We need more brand awareness. Now that the product has pivoted and we are now considered a Smart Marketing Automation Platform, we need to get the word out about the products improvements/features

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work. The company has turned a corner and I am personally excited to see where we are in a year from now.

Kahuna2016-11-22

"A collaborative team that hustles every day to delight customers"

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

We are privileged to offer very differentiated software in a huge market that's looking for modern alternatives. The team is an incredibly passionate and self-less bunch that lives by our company values every day We leave our titles at home and jump in to help on anything. Our leaders know how to get out of the way and let smart people be everything that they can be. Our location - we're 50 seconds from Caltrain..., in downtown Redwood City.

Cons

We don't take ourselves too seriously - we keep listening to our customers and we adjust quickly. As is the case with any promising start-up looking to do big things, you have to have a stomach for constant improvement and refinement.

Kahuna2016-11-22

"One of the best company I have worked"

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong leadership, work with smart people, fast Pace, exciting industry, collaborative team environment and great culture. We just moved to the new office in the downtown Redwood City and next to the Caltrain station. Easy access to the transportation and convenient for folks to commute from San Francisco or San Jose.

Cons

Growing pain like any all startups. Depends on your functional team, you might need to manage multiple projects/tasks at the same time. However, if you are like me looking for new challenges and want to make meaningful impacts. You will love it and even addict it.

Kahuna2016-11-02

"With a new CEO in place, we're getting our groove back!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

With an incredibly passionate new CEO at the helm, we are poised to do great things once again at Kahuna. Sameer has stepped in and re-energized our company with a well articulated mission and set of values. We made significant investments in both the engineering and product teams over the past nine months. Now due to those efforts we have a product that we are even more proud of than before. With that we are now... ready to ramp our marketing and sales teams. We have incredibly intelligent, collaborative and down to earth teammates. There is no ego or arrogance here at Kahuna. Our teammates are authentic and have a sense of humor. I wouldn't want to work with any other group of people. We have input in the areas that affect our day to day work, and have autonomy to make the decisions we need to make. We don't have micro-managers. Our board is very supportive of our decisions and efforts, and they truly believe that we are poised to be a winner in the cross-channel marketing market. Competitive compensation and benefits. We are moving into a new office space in downtown Redwood City across the street from Caltrain. I am certain that the energy of being downtown will further invigorate our team.

Cons

Start-up life isn't easy, but if we wanted easy we would have chosen a different path. We did live through some ups and downs in morale during the first part of the year due to turnover at both the leadership and individual levels, but with our new CEO in place I feel confident that we have turned the corner on this front.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on our mission. With that the wins will continue to roll in. There is a big market out there to be won, and I still believe that Kahuna has the intelligence at the product core, and some of the best people on our team to be a winner in the space.

Kahuna2016-10-20

"Missed Opportunity"

I worked at Kahuna for more than a year

Pros

Hot, somewhat inevitable space with good startup backers. The non-executives are amazing people.

Cons

Life moves fast and mistakes at startups start to compound exponentially. Kahuna could have been a billion dollar B2B company with more discipline but at this point, I'd be surprised if it ever returns its money to investors. Kahuna was the best provider of mobile push notifications by far but then product stagnated as political infighting grew. Product is now far behind targeted competitors and there are... startups launching with even more interesting products. It's not my opinion, this is what I'm hearing from companies evaluating vendors - Kahuna doesn't even make the shortlist. The move to Redwood City was indicative of the company as a whole: big, splashy move without careful consideration. I understand Palo Alto isn't tenable rent-wise but people actually liked working there and it was convenient to get to from San Francisco and from South Bay. Redwood City was a giant, soulless office that was way too big for the company—which became even more apparent once the multiple rounds of layoffs started. Marketing seemed like it was more about spending money than actually creating and hitting its leads goals. A small, dedicated team of growth-focused marketing people itching to build their careers would have been the way to go. Expectedly, morale turned down with people actively seeking other jobs and going through no efforts to hide it. I don't blame em. Constant rounds of layoffs, the loss of multiple leaders while bad ones stayed on, new management came in and cleaned house. New leaders get the right to bring in their own people but again, it compounds the problem because it's harder to draw new talent to a company on the downswing than to expose the hidden gems you already had. Career opportunity seemed limited at this point but you could go in and be the catalyst for a turnaround. With the plethora of other options out there, I don't know why you would. Comp is fine, benefits are fine but nothing amazing. Work/life balance is okay unless you have to commute in.

Advice to Management

I can't help

Kahuna2016-07-02

"Company culture and team morale are really bad"

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office space in Redwood City is spacious and decent, though pretty typical of all Silicon Valley tech companies. Free lunch and snacks.

Cons

Kahuna has really gone down the drain over the past year. Team morale is very low and I'm seeing employees leave in droves. Several key players were let go because there was too much politics and strife at the exec level. I know some of my teammates are also actively interviewing elsewhere and trying to get out asap. The biggest problem is that the company doesn't have capable leaders anymore. Management,... especially on the product side, lacks a clear product focus and the team is incapable of executing cohesively. The low retention rate of employees is not helping either. The previous original CEO was unethical, inexperienced and did not know how to be an effective leader. He was hard to communicate with and ultimately resorted to fear tactics. He's since been let go and there's currently an interim CEO, which does not inspire confidence in the company.

Advice to Management

Hire some ethical leaders who are actually capable of executing. A successful company needs ethical leaders and founders.

Kahuna2016-06-29

"Marketing ops"

I have been working at Kahuna full-time

Pros

Mobile is the current big space in tech, and this company is trying to focus on mobile-first strategies.

Cons

Management and team leaders really have been focusing on the wrong priorities. There's too much office politics, and true opinions cannot be spoken for fear of consequences. No career growth opportunities unless you have a personal connection with management team member or one of the board members. The company is STILL not able to find and hire a new CEO and new Sales leader. There's currently an "interim CEO" after... both the CEO and CTO were let go. Lots of strong employees have been let go or left voluntarily in the past 8 months (including the VP of Sales and Marketing Ops team lead). Employee turnover rate is really high and morale is very low. Marketing team is crucial to the company's success, yet has no voice among managers and company leaders. Also, the commute down to Redwood City from the city really, really sucks. I need to get in around 7:30 AM and leave after 7 PM to avoid a 2.5-hour long commute. That cuts into personal life balance. Caltrain or BART are not really options for employees, since the office is closer to Redwood Shores and not walkable from train station. The company really needs to invest in a corporate shuttle or reimburse transportation commute costs!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management members who are toxic to the company. Get rid of the management members who are unethical. (You know exactly who you are.)

Kahuna2016-06-29

"Definitely not what it used to be"

I worked at Kahuna full-time

Pros

Nice offices in Redwood City. Expansive views, great amenities. Free lunches. Exciting industry to be in. Lots of interesting and challenging problems to solve.

Cons

Company has completely changed over the last 6 months. Lots of great people have left. Culture and vision seem lost. Senior management is uninspiring and overly political, and the company lacks a true leader ("interim CEO" doesn't exactly inspire confidence). Everyone keeps getting told things will be better, but we've all heard that for so long it all just appears to be empty promises. Morale is really, really low.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the toxic people who are promoting drama and politics. Roll up your sleeves and just gsd. Inspire your employees and give them reason to stay.

Kahuna2016-03-22

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had great group of very passionate people. Still have a few remaining doers. Nice Redwood City office and not too far from San Francisco or Silicon Valley.

Cons

Unless you are connected with current senior management, you can forget about your career. No internal growth opportunities. Most of the doers that cared about the company left, either voluntarily or got let go over the past few months.

Advice to Management

Management will keep their connections and not the people who are passionate about their jobs. At this point, the company changed so much it's hard to give any advice.

Kahuna2016-03-11

"Kahuna is an upbeat and competitive startup"

Solutions Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Kahuna

Pros

- I have had a positive experience with Kahuna since my first interview and have continued to grow professional over the past 5 months. During the initial interview, they made sure that I was a good fit, but at the same time they also gave me a very clear picture of what my role would be. This helped me know that Kahuna was the type of company that I was looking for. - Kahuna's leadership team cares about what is... the best for customer and for each of us as employees. The leadership team has decades of experience from which to draw upon. - I like coming to work here everyday. There are a lot of opportunities for me to improve my skills and grow my career at Kahuna. - Kahuna is diverse in gender and ethnicity so I feel very comfortable working at this tech startup as a woman. Our recruiting efforts continue to highlight the importance of a diverse workforce. - I got everything set up and running very quickly the first day. - Management often asks employees for advice on how to make the products better for customers. They value our opinions and encourage us to give input. - Our CEO is a great, inspirational speaker and I often find myself picking up public speaking skills from him.

Cons

- Location. Soon will be moving to Redwood city which is further away. It's okay because half of the employees live in the city.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Kahuna2015-10-23