Kahuna "silicon valley" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kahuna Employee Reviews about "silicon valley"

Updated Jan 31, 2017

4.4
Kahuna CEO Sameer Patel
Sameer Patel
Pros
  • "We just moved to the new office in the downtown Redwood City and next to the Caltrain station(in 7 reviews)

• "I recommend Kahuna for the experience of a lifetime to feel what it's like to work for a truly Silicon Valley startup(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing rapidly and there have been some growing pains with implementing new process, checks and balances, new management, etc(in 5 reviews)

• "Commuting to Palo Alto for anyone that lives in San Francisco can be less than amazing(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "silicon valley"

Return to all Reviews

"Learnt a lot and solved real life business problems"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Kahuna for two years and I've seen so many things change from early startup stage to where it is now in 2017. During my time, I learnt a lot about mobile technology and worked with amazing co-workers who supported me both emotionally and professionally. The perks for working at a startup like Kahuna are that I got to work in very dynamic environment and I solved real life business problems for my clients... with technology tools. I had the sense that my solutions and hard work were respected and valued by my team and company as well as by my clients whom I served as an extension to their dev teams. I recommend Kahuna for the experience of a lifetime to feel what it's like to work for a truly Silicon Valley startup.

Cons

This job is not for the faint-hearted. There are many times when you have to go above-and-beyond the job duty. You can't simply apply basic book knowledge to implement unique use cases or solve complex business problems that affect big brands’ bottom lines. There are times you must think outside of the box and come up with creative ideas. You might be called upon to roll up your sleeves to find workarounds and hack... like a pro. If you're ready and up for this type of challenge, you will find it here at Kahuna.

Advice to Management

Some employees might be curious about bonus expenses listed in quarterly financial statements. Therefore for full transparency, it is probably a good idea to explain to everyone how the bonuses are structured and awarded.

Kahuna2017-02-01

"Company culture and team morale are really bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office space in Redwood City is spacious and decent, though pretty typical of all Silicon Valley tech companies. Free lunch and snacks.

Cons

Kahuna has really gone down the drain over the past year. Team morale is very low and I'm seeing employees leave in droves. Several key players were let go because there was too much politics and strife at the exec level. I know some of my teammates are also actively interviewing elsewhere and trying to get out asap. The biggest problem is that the company doesn't have capable leaders anymore. Management,... especially on the product side, lacks a clear product focus and the team is incapable of executing cohesively. The low retention rate of employees is not helping either. The previous original CEO was unethical, inexperienced and did not know how to be an effective leader. He was hard to communicate with and ultimately resorted to fear tactics. He's since been let go and there's currently an interim CEO, which does not inspire confidence in the company.

Advice to Management

Hire some ethical leaders who are actually capable of executing. A successful company needs ethical leaders and founders.

Kahuna2016-06-29

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at Kahuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had great group of very passionate people. Still have a few remaining doers. Nice Redwood City office and not too far from San Francisco or Silicon Valley.

Cons

Unless you are connected with current senior management, you can forget about your career. No internal growth opportunities. Most of the doers that cared about the company left, either voluntarily or got let go over the past few months.

Advice to Management

Management will keep their connections and not the people who are passionate about their jobs. At this point, the company changed so much it's hard to give any advice.

Kahuna2016-03-11

"Solid foundation and growing fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Senior management has done a good job appealing to successful, driven leaders and contributors. Industry experts are already looking at Kahuna to dominate its market space. Private funding is pouring in. The new HQ at Pacific Shores is going to attract a lot of attention from established players and provide a work and recreation environment on par with the most successful organizations in Silicon Valley. This is... just a nice, smart, fun bunch of people.

Cons

Success and growth always present challenges to customer-focused organizations, and Kahuna is very successful and fast-growing. Overcoming our challenges only hardens our resolve and makes us better for our customers.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on listening to our customers and communicating their needs to our people. Keep the bar set high. Most importantly, don't stop having fun.

Kahuna2015-09-27

"Do the best work of your life. Love doing it."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the dream team of Silicon Valley — people here are Brilliant. Versatile. Creative. Social. We are inspired by and inspire each other. I almost want to describe the quality of the team as Artisanal, because bringing people like this together can only be done by hand and in small batches. Waking up every day thinking, "Today I'm going to do something amazing!" is a powerful thing. The product is incredible,... but even if our team was no longer working on Kahuna, I know I would run to work the day after the acquisition* thrilled and excited to create another extraordinary piece of technology among friends. Everyone here makes each other better. Career development is a huge focus in every department here at Kahuna. I look forward to continuing to be challenged, and to growing as both a designer / creative thinker and as a person as we scale this thing to galactic proportions. *This is purely hypothetical and NOT a comment on actual strategy.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do — nobody sits around twiddling their thumbs and watching the numbers go up. So if you're looking to hang back, relax, and let someone else take the initiative, Kahuna probably isn't a great fit. We're strongly motivated by self-actualization and a deep drive to improve ourselves. You might call this passion for excellence ambition, but it is a collective phenomenon. We all know we want... to be great, and we all want to do it together. If you're not onboard with that idea... well you probably wouldn't be reading this. Nevermind. Back to the team being of *artisanal* quality, and hiring in small batches — I'm sure it'd be easy to hire people quickly and scale this company to 10x in no time if the bar weren't set so high. P.S. I do love watching our numbers go up, but I do that on my own time ;-) It feels great to help our partners be so successful!

Advice to Management

Involve a designer at the highest level of product leadership. Solving problems is what we do best; design thinking should be integrated at the every level of the organization. Collaboration could be tighter between marketing / brand and product design teams. That's all I got. Oh, and keep bringing in the smartest people I've ever met. *mic drop*

Kahuna2015-08-02

"Strategic Account Executive"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Kahuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing company that is leading the market in saas mobile messaging. Strong management team and backed by the top VC's in Silicon Valley.

Cons

I have not had any bad experiences to date with the company or the product.

Kahuna2015-07-13