Kainos Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brendan Mooney

Pros
Cons
  • Growing pains of lots of exciting business, and needing to scale appropriately (in 7 reviews)

• Also a lot of onsite work is expected for consultants so expect to be away from home a lot (in 3 reviews)

1. "Overall a good place"

Pros

Benefits are good and training and development actually exists
    Very understanding employer
    Some interesting technical challanges

Cons

Management structure is too hierarchical
    As a technology consultancy the lack of engineers in senior positions is going to kill the company
    Can occasionally feel like an old boys club

Advice to Management

It feels like your senior management needs more of an engineer focus

"Great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gdańsk (Poland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gdańsk (Poland)

I worked at Kainos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- fantastic atmosphere
    - great people
    - place to growth

Cons

- nothing to add to this list

Advice to Management

- nothing to add

May 18, 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. And I find myself nodding to your comments about atmosphere, the people and the opportunities for growth. I wish you every success in the ... More

"So close..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities; whether you want to build a healthcare product, or work on a leading Digital Service, Kainos has loads of different opportunities for good quality people.
    People: some of the highest quality, passionate people I've ever met. People really care about their craft.

Cons

Travel: a lot. There are few and far between opportunities for consulting in Ireland, so I travel to UK weekly. This becomes pretty crap pretty quickly.
    Management: some are very good, some are awful. Delivery Managers are king.

Advice to Management

Emotional intelligence is more important, in your role, than anything else. And if you don't have it, you shouldn't be a manager

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback - both the things that you think are great (the people) and the things that we need to improve upon. I've commented on ... More

"Great people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good people. You won't work with a better bunch of techs, design and user disciplines. Very practical and customer focussed, as well as being engaged with building great user-centred digital services. Understands that customers do not always 'get' agile and might need some gentle guidance, help and understanding to get to a better place. People here are always willing to share their experiences with others - good and bad - to help them grow. We positively embrace celebrating success and learning from our failures without fear.

Cons

Not always as joined up with our 'behind the scenes' stuff - admin essentially, as we could be, which becomes a bit of a grind at times. But by no means the worst I've seen - it is a pretty common complaint for orgs not to invest properly in their in-house tools.

Advice to Management

The management team is pretty strong, and not a bad bunch. The real challenge will be maintaining the strong and positive company culture as it grows in scale.

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

I really enjoyed how you phrased some of your comments - "gentle guidance" gets a double thumbs-up from me! In terms of our admin systems, I'm hoping the appointment of our CIO at the end of ... More

"Excellent company"

Former Employee - IT Programmer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Programmer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

Top technology - friendly teams

Cons

none - very good company to work for

Advice to Management

none - things worked well and got sorted quickly

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide the feedback and the very best of luck as you continue to develop your career - I hope that we might see you back in the future! Brendan

"Opportunities to learn and progress with a great company culture"

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and culture - there is something special that has been nurtured from day one
    A safe environment to learn and try and adapt
    A company of people who are genuinely passionate about technology and its ability to solve problems
    Open access to senior leadership and directors who are personable and engaging
    Autonomy to progress your career and personal development

Cons

High expectations are sometimes daunting for new employees who aren't used to the culture
    Travel can sometimes be tiring but the ability to work alongside customers in their environment provides invaluable learning and understanding
    Some people miss out on experiencing the company culture when working in a satellite office or spending much of their time on customer site

Advice to Management

Keep being open - share the good and the bad so everyone can feel part of the company direction
    Keep the bar high so that we can all have an opportunity to learn from passionate, innovative colleagues

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

This is all great feedback and thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. And thank you for the suggestions. Your comment about being 'open' is great and being open really is ... More

"An Exciting company"

Current Employee - Undiclosed in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Undiclosed in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent intelligent and social teams. I've worked with hundreds of people and these are truly the best in the business.

- Great senior management. Some of the best professionals and managers i've worked with. All levels within the company are approachable and you can happily socialise with outside of work. There isn't the social hierarchy which you may see within other companies.

- An expanding company with some great, exciting opportunities.

- They listen. This is why i'm writing this. Kainos actively ask you for ideas and suggestions and will listen to what you have to say. Which I appreciate is extremely difficult in a company which is growing to 1000 employees.

- Great Culture and Values (However this can be a con, mentioned below).

- Generous holiday allowance.

- You never know what is around the corner. With opportunities coming in constantly at Kainos, you do not know what project or which location you may be working in next. This may prove difficult for some however.

- An encouraging recent drive on charity work and donations allowing employees to take leave to attend charity events every year.

- Flexible working depending on your project and management.

Cons

- Failure to utilise peoples skill-sets.

- New starts & recruitment - I applied for the same role as some of my colleagues when we joined Kainos at the same time and was surprised to find that i joined in at a junior level, despite having the same experience. If this was made clear when I got the job offer, I would probably not have taken the job given that I have 7 years industry experience and joined from a management position.

- Career management and promotions seem to be a box ticking exercise. Promotion applications go to a senior management who do not necessarily see your day to day work and therefore you have to word a promotion application to fit the role you are applying for. Alternatively, even if you are doing a job well and have been recommended for promotion by your colleagues and management, this will be rejected if you do not complete the form correctly.

- The career path, despite moving into a lattice that allows people to move into a variety of new roles, still appears to be a set ladder for you to go up and if you do not see yourself as a part of this ladder, you can feel you've hit a dead end with nowhere to go.

- Growing Pains. Kainos are still an expanding company and as they continue to grow globally, they need to look more into how best to arrange travel and compensate those wishing to work away from home for long period of time.

- The 'Kainos way' and culture can be difficult to understand and imbed yourself into if you have not come from Queens University and for those who have worked for much larger organisations. This is especially the case if you are not based out of Belfast.

- Benefits system is limited. We use an online co-operate service that provides benefits to a number of companies so these benefits are rarely specific to employees at Kainos.

- Expenses - For younger colleagues without access to credit, sometimes spending large sums of money each month can cause some difficulty for them. Kainos are actively pursuing new ways of managing this however and do have a Travel team which will pay in advance for your travel to customer locations and accommodation.

Advice to Management

Sorry about the Cons outweighing the pro's here! It's important to know that I value working for Kainos and would always strongly recommend anyone to come and join us at this amazing company. I am hoping that we can learn from some of the frustrations which myself and some fellow colleagues have encountered during our time here, which is my reasoning behind this review.

There are no easy answers to alot of the cons that i've given. But some advice that I could think of from the top of my head.

My advice to management:

- Promotional process needs to be looked at, I understand we've just gone through changing alot of this so that the onus is on the employee, however there must be a better way to do things than what we are presently.

- You have some great experienced people working for you, read their CV's and see what they could do that may make them happier and benefit the business. We have an internal Kainos CV system that seems to be ignored.

- With a huge presence in Belfast now, it seems surprising that we do not have our own dedicated benefits package with local business's. My previous employers have negotiated some great deals for their staff with local restaurants / hotels etc.

- Expanding the culture outside of Belfast is a really tough one to manage within budget. The only time that you may see some of your colleagues in the year could be the yearly kick-off, which is an enjoyable event. So now real advice here, i'll leave that to the experts. Maybe the Summer BBQ could be a joint event (Love how you still call it a BBQ as if the weather is ever suitable in Belfast!)?

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

That's a really impressive set of feedback - thank-you for taking to consider the feedback to provide such comprehensive comments. And I much prefer to hear about the things that we can do ... More

8. "Positive environment with great people"

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Strong visibility of career opportunities
    - Collaborative environment
    - Consistent effort to make staff happy in the jobs

Cons

- Nothing major stands out

Advice to Management

Keep on track as the company grows

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company benefits are fantastic. The CEO's management and involvement in day to day life is a breathe of fresh air. The people are generally lovely and good to work with.

Cons

Lack of training, or interrogation of new starts to the team. They have run out of office space, which leads to dis-organised seating arrangements and can lead to being situated alone or away from team members. NO car parking facilities

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. On the office space, we've just finished the fit-out of a further office in Belfast, which brings a further 80 desks, which should address our space requirements for ... More

"Great!"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

New Technologies
    Great People to work with....(Permanent Employees)
    Proper Agile mindset
    Work with most brilliant minds in the Industry
    Always new to learn

Cons

People outside Belfast mostly don't have visibility but it's changing
    Commute - as it is a part of the business

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice... they are doing great!

May 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Thanks very much for your feedback - delighted to see that you are enjoying it! Brendan