Kaiser Permanente Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Mission driven; believe in work-life balance; you can change your career many times still within the same organization (in 301 reviews)

• Transparent about pay and benefits (in 163 reviews)

Cons

"Great benefits, job security, but the usual bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kaiser is a great place to work and build a career over time. In my experience salaries are above market for most positions, and the benefits are so good that many people become "lifers". The health coverage is extremely generous, and time off starts off adequate and gets better over time (18 days when you start, moving up to 33 after 15+ years - this does not include sick time). Employees truly believe in the mission of KP (at least, I do) and it's clear that this is a place where employees' contributions are valued. Although my role is not part of any of the unions, the fact that our workforce is predominantly unionized also places a positive role in KP's reputation as a good place for workers (although having unionized staff also presents many challenges). Overall, I enjoy working at KP and would recommend it to others, but understand that you are entering a big bureaucracy. A friendly, mission-driven bureaucracy, but still.

Cons

Cons: having lots of "lifers" means that innovative ideas and workflows are not always adopted without a fight. People have their roles deeply embedded here, and any threat to the status quo is seen as negative, even though we need to make some pretty radical changes given the new health care environment post-ACA. There's a lot of "not my job" attitudes here. It's hard to navigate the layers of bureaucracy, both in terms of personnel/HR/benefits, and in getting work done (there are often 4-5 departments at the regional and national KP levels working on similar areas, and no guidance on who does what.) Be aware that KP is not immune to reorganizations and layoffs -- they do make a good attempt to ensure workers are hired elsewhere in the organization, but there are no guarantees, and there can be a lot of turnover in certain departments.

Benefits are currently generous but are always subject to downgrades in the future, so just be aware of that. Some changes to the pension and retiree medical benefits are about to hit, and with them a wave of Baby Boomers will be taking retirement, which should hopefully open up many new management opportunities for Millennials.

Oh, and the biggest con of all: we still - STILL - use Lotus Notes for email. Shocking, I know, but true.

Advice to Management

Embrace technology, trust your employees, improve senior leadership communication with front-line staff.

"Pharmacy Technician"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Portland, OR

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kaiser paid very well and had opportunities for different fields to work within. As a leader within the Northwest healthcare community, they are very successful in the mission statement they strive for.

Cons

Lack of vertical advancement opportunities.

"To union position or not to union position, that is the question"

Current Employee - New Member Navigator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - New Member Navigator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for the correct department is amazing. Getting along with everyone, not being part of the union makes it stress free and work life balance. Career opportunities are great, networking and shadowing is a plus. Overall, KP is a great company to work with, I plan to retire here.

Cons

If you decide to go union, be prepare for micromanagement. This creates stressful situations especially when you know you are doing a great job and you get good feedback from your colleagues but all the boss wants is NUMBERS. Dont get me wrong, I'm not against unions, I'm against micromanagement which creates health problems to many people. Also work/life balance is obsolete when you are union.

Advice to Management

Always have an open door policy and be flexible

"Registered nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good medical benefits and dental benefits. Typically well staffed, at least in the outpatient and good patient care.

Cons

Management on top of management on top of management. Who even knows how to get anything done anymore? Also incompetent management in my department.

Advice to Management

Organize better and perhaps more careful recruitment. Work more on retention of employees and management to decrease turn over

"NW Permanente"

Current Employee - Information Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. No complaints.

Cons

I honesty have no complaints.

"Kaiser"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR

Pros

Always a good team, friendly and easy-going but a challenging atmosphere which allows skills to be optimally used, and learn new ones if necessary. Teamwork is highly rewarding.

Cons

Sometimes we'd be asked to stay longer days, relatively consistently which was kind of annoying especially if you didn't prepare in advance for it. Randomly we'd be told that we had to move up deadlines which wasn't fun.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your workers, get everything out in the open so we know what to except when we walk through the door daily.

8. "Stay away from HPSA leadership and the direct reports. Much favoritism at the top and unethical behavior."

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

nothing - the leadership starting at the top of HPSA is toxic and incompetent.

Cons

The leadership in HPSA is very poor including unethical behavior and favoritism. Excellent leaders have left as a result of the poor leadership starting at the top.

Advice to Management

Remove the leadership starting at the top. Entire direct reports have turned over due to lack of integrity, honesty and poor leadership. He is the worst leader most of us have ever worked for.

"Kaiser RN"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse III in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse III in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kaiser offers excellent benefits. I've been employed with them in Northern California and also, currently, in the Northwest Region. I prefer the dynamic of the Northern California region most of all so far.

Cons

I do not see any downside to working for Kaiser Permanente. It's a great company. The unions are strong and well represented. Any cons would have to be specific to subpar employee performance or to poor management.

"Not the best place to end, ok place to start"

Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great co workers, and health benefits cost.

Cons

management doesn't relate to staff, if you get sick they guilt you for using sick time. ( I got sick -vomiting- while at work, and they still gave me grief)

Advice to Management

talk with your employees outside of your desk, get to know them because they are the face of your organization...

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the benefits. The health insurance is great, they have a pension, and generous PTO. YOu can tell Clinicians are very passionate about patient care.

Cons

Think its a place where there are a lot of people who stay and are complacent because of the great benefits, and decent pay. I don't feel a lot of career drive from folks. My perception also could be skewed given I am in a different generation than most of my peers. I also think there are a lot of managers who delegate so much work down to the little people. Its hard because I feel like I spend my day putting out fires they create either by not being clear with their expectations, or waiting until the last minute. While Kaiser is touted as being very diverse, I don't find that to be the case in the Portland office.

Advice to Management

I know that I am here to make you look good, but its not fulfilling for me to do all of your work and you take all of the credit for it.

Showing 106 of 4,243 reviews