Kaiser Permanente Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaiser Permanente Reviews

Updated August 9, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Mission driven; believe in work-life balance; you can change your career many times still within the same organization (in 325 reviews)

• Transparent about pay and benefits (in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't know how to say no then you will lose you ability for good work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Hard to move up once you are within (in 40 reviews)

1. "I enjoy working and taking care of patients"

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

I like to work with patients. I provide care while understanding the patient in efficient and compassion manner

Cons

some nurses and coworker did have compassion, and empathy while caring for elderly.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what to say.

2. "Terrible Boss - Racist, Sexist, Abusive"

Former Employee - Epic Systems in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Epic Systems in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most Kaiser employees care about the mission

Great benefits

Good pay

Work life balance

Cons

Like any job out there, your experience heavily relies on your boss. Unfortunately, I had a newer boss that came from outside the organization. I'm sure I didn't get the onboarding experience Kaiser would intend me to have, but it was also toxic coming in every single day to interact with the human being that manages me.

I'm very happy I moved onto another organization.

Advice to Management

Be careful of bringing in leaders outside the organization. They may not share the same values as Kaiser

"Stressful"

Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Downey, CA
    Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Downey, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

No pros that I can think of.

Cons

Stressful working environment and overworked.

4. "Quality Coordinator"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Education is supported and encouraged.

Cons

The Human Resource department does not support the employee.

5. "RN"

Current Contractor - RN Staff Nurse in Downey, CA
    Current Contractor - RN Staff Nurse in Downey, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor

Pros

Didn't experience many in the 2 months that I was there.

Cons

I was made a DNR from all Kaiser facilities, and the reason they gave is that I failed to do vital signs on a patient that no one informed me was there and that I, contracted staff nurse, failed to inform the charge nurse that a patient was coming to the room. I received report around 6 pm and no one informed me that the pt had arrived. I gave paper report to charge nurse, not realizing that the transporter had just dropped the patient off and failed to notify the nurse. It is the charge nurse's resposibility to let me know that I am getting a patient, not the other way around. The charge nurse is the 1 who assigns the room, so how was I made responsible?

Advice to Management

Know roles and stop putting nurses on the blacklist who did nothing wrong, but perform their job to the best of their abilities. I should not even be on the blacklist.

6. "data processor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor

Pros

Gaining experience was a definite pro

Cons

Pay was $12/hr
    strict attendance rules, though job could be done from home.

7. "Management plays to their "favorites"."

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive but they do not make up for the lack of work life balance. Healthcare costs are affordable to employees.

Cons

Horrible work environment. Management plays to their "favorites". Depending on the work unit you are in, management will either support you, or quickly throw you under the bus to prop themselves up. Gossip runs rampant, and managers are encouraged by leadership to retaliate against good employees. Managers are encouraged to preach core values, then they turn arounds create a hostile work environment. Human Resources is also a joke at the company, nothing more then an extension of dishonest management.

Advice to Management

Resign

"RN-staff"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Riverside, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay and good location

Cons

Unethical managers! UNAC union will not protect or help you even though you pay them $60+ a month--they are "in bed" with management team, managers and workflows do not follow standard safety protocols, require staff to manage LVN's and MA and go out of your BRN scope, MA's do nurse work and call themselves nurses, bad for patients-as you are not allowed to be a patient advocate and have to get them out fast to move to the next patient. Will discriminate against you if you voted for Trump or are not the right color for your department. Will tell you to call compliance if you see a problem and reporting it to your supervisor does not work, but then will retaliate.

Advice to Management

Listen to your RN's, administration should monitor the front lines not just with numbers but listen to your patients and make sure managers let nurses follow safety and protocols. Stop making cute slogans and spending money pretending to care about your nurses when your managers are abusing them!

"Business Project Manager"

Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and adequate pay. The doctors and nurses are highly motivated to provide great care for our members.

Cons

The area I work in does not understand project and program management, and this is a team of project managers. In addition the leadership team (again, just in my area) is pretty much a nightmare. Dictating, threatening, getting into detailed work instead of leading/supporting. So, just not a good place. They do not understand how to lead, basic management skills, and certainly not project/program management skills.

Advice to Management

This is a "we've been doing it this way forever" team and there needs to be some change on this team. I began looking for a new job 6 weeks after I started and I wanted this job to last the last 8-10 years of my full time working life.

"Greedy people, Selfish Place"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, The Healthcare, You get a bunch of meaningless prizes

Cons

People, The environment, the fact that people value their crap over the workplace. People are stuck in their jobs, no ability to move up in the company. If you move to another department you move laterally. Just a really depressing place. There is not enough space for employees to have workstations. I never am able to take lunch breaks. Seniority rules. Unions rule. I am so truly close to quitting. Coming straight from university was a plus, but you have to intern or volunteer first to get anywhere. I have 500+ hours before they gave me part-time. They still made me work FT but did not give me the benefits.

This place is a HR nightmare, but if you get HR involved they will not help. You will be punished for it by your peers.

Showing 315 of 4,793 reviews