Kaiser Permanente Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Kaiser Permanente US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Mission driven; believe in work-life balance; you can change your career many times still within the same organization (in 325 reviews)

• Transparent about pay and benefits (in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't know how to say no then you will lose you ability for good work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Hard to move up once you are within (in 40 reviews)

1. "positive"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Bellflower, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Bellflower, CA

Pros

Decent pay wages and a friendly atmosphere to work with. Pleasant people

Cons

On calls dont get called much. Very little hours given.

Advice to Management

dont hire on calls if u dont reallly have a need for them. On cslls should be given more time notice when they are going to be needed to work.

"Kaiser: A nice place to take a nap while you do other things with your life"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Burbank, CA

Pros

The work/life balance at Kaiser is much better than I've seen at other companies. The working hours are earlier than other SoCal companies -- most people are in the office by 7:30 and leave by 4:30 or 5:00. But the good part is that people are not expected to work more than 40 hours a week most weeks. Also, weekend work seems to be rare.

Cons

The organization is a matrix structure so it means that generally, most people have two or more bosses. This leads to a culture of non-accountability and one in which decisions are very, very difficult to make. The culture is extremely consensus-driven and people tend to be passive-aggressive to a fault. This is not the environment where you want to be if you like to get things done. But, if you are happy to coast for a couple of years, it can be a great place to be. People talk about getting 'Kaiserized' if you stay at KP too long: you no longer know how to function in an organization that believes in accountability.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to look at changing the organizational structure to be less matrix-dependent. The convoluted org structure leads to complicated budgeting and planning processes that effect the organization's ability to meet goals and produce results. I certainly understand that organizational change is difficult - but it is completely necessary in this day and age. The longer they wait the more difficult it will be in the end.

"Kaiser is an excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Desktop Support in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in Oakland, CA

Pros

My co-workers at Kaiser are dedicated and hard working. I work in Program offices and the level of intelligence and experience is wonderful. I am also a member and have always been pleased with the level of care that my family and I receive. Kaiser has excellent benefits and pay, plus there are so many ways to move up in the organization. Leadership is very encouraging to employees who want to improve their skills and experience

Cons

The bureacracy and red tape are insurmontable at times. No one wants to take responsiblity for making a decison, everything gets shelved for more and more and more discussion. The amount of meetings and the lack of progress at the meetings is really frustrating. In IT especially they are constantly reorging and not making things better!

Advice to Management

Stop asking for consensus and make some decisons.

"Favoritism and politics prevail as Kaiser Permanente cuts jobs and pay."

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits, bonuses, numerous locations to work.

Cons

With the economic downturn, hiring for the post part is frozen. Temporary workers are all dismissed. Employees who resign from jobs -- even those that that require a high degree of certification --are not being replaced. When an administrative person leaves their job, they are not replaced. Instead, their full time duties are given to another admin person who already has a full plate. This poor unfortunate person now does 80 hours of work but is paid for the same 40 hours as before. This is extremely unfair and probably illegal. In the meantime, the company continues to pay recruiters during a hiring freeze who have little to do.

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics. Just because you want to look good to YOUR supervisor, it's not fair to mistreat those under you by offering that they do double work. While the hiring freeze was going on, the national team partied in a very expensive resort. Price was no object. The double standard prevails.

5. "Awesome benefits & job security, modest salary + bonus. You'll be working for good - with plenty of red tape."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA

Pros

Benefits. Job security. Business based on a mission that is good and you can believe in. The people's hearts are in the right place here. It's big so if you have initiative you can learn a lot, meet a lot of people, and make career advancement by working for different parts of the organization. It's a not-for-profit organization, and we're trying to deliver affordable healthcare, not make a profit for shareholders.

Cons

It's so big. IT is a hindrance, by inefficiency, to every department's success. Many layers of middle management, some of whom are totally incompetent, and it's frustrating they were even hired, let alone promoted. They don't fire incompetent people here except for the most egregious offenses.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to reward innovative thinking, and make communications channels outside a 'standard chain of command'. Don't be afraid to demote, reassign, or let go ineffective people. Don't be afraid of bad news - seek the truth to help you improve the business. Don't be afraid to promote, reassign or give bonuses to highly effective people.

6. "keep up the good work people want to work at my kaiser"

Current Employee - Interventional Technologist in Panorama City, CA
    Current Employee - Interventional Technologist in Panorama City, CA

Pros

the doctors are great to work with, union

Cons

the union plays games and choses who to support

Advice to Management

follow the rules and everyone stays happy

7. "Having more Clinical Pharmacists would improve quality of patient care at Kaiser"

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Great work environment--coworkers, morale level, friendliness of staff. I love coming to work, and having worked at other places, I feel lucky to work here now. Love the online clinical library. Opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

I would appreciate more feedback on my performance. When I asked my manager how I'm doing, she said "you're doing ok", and didn't elaborate. I think she has a lot on her mind lately, with budget issues. Still, it'd be appreciated to get more feedback than that.

Advice to Management

Kaiser would be more efficient if it had more clinical pharmacists as outpatient clinic care managers (ie. primary care, diabetes clinic, PHASE, heart failure, pain, etc). We're excellent physician extenders. This is what we went to university and 4 years of pharmacy school and residency training to do. I read so many visit notes from other care providers who don't seem to have a clue what to do about patients' medications, it's pretty scary and I worry for patient safety as a result.

8. "Best Place to Work in California"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Knowing that you are working for a company that has the health and well being of it's members paramount. The values of Kaiser Permanente could be well utilized in the other parts of the working communities in America. Placing an emphasis on quality care of our members and patients will ensure that the burden on health care care spending is reduced because the health of our workers will be improved by ensuring that preemptive care to reduce the burden on the system by managing the health of it's members. Dispense quality care when our patients requires care. Being a total Health Managed Organization.

Cons

Being healthcare, there are times when you may be required to work that's not conducive to good family time. Being available to ensuring that our members and patients receives the quality care they deserve can impinge sometimes on quality family time.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the priorities of KP in being there for our members and patients.

"good place to retire"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

benefit and work hours are good. It comes with plenty of holidays and PTO. The work culture is very layback. If you are going for a long haul, this is the place. Most people have been with the company for over 10 years. And many are waiting to receive their retirement package.

Cons

Too much politics and autonomous organizations. Each group just cares about its territory. There is a lack of cross-functional team work. There are so much red tapes that discourage you to do any real work. For sure there are plenty of policies just like any big company, but their policies keep changing to the point that even your manager does not work what is the "latest" policy.

Advice to Management

Reduce some layers of middle managements. They just complicate the whole approval and work process without adding any values.

"Kaiser may survive the next reorganization of health care with some integrity."

Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Software in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Software in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Compensation levels, opportunities to transfer when one moves, fairly advanced thinking about best practices and accountability for outcomes.

Cons

Some clinical SOPs are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, and there is a subtle pressure not to get too interested in challenging cases. You could end up doing assembly line care.

Advice to Management

The original model of prepaid, preventative, integrated care is worth saving; it is a mistake to dilute it just to remain competitive in a market where customers just don't want to pay for that. It would be wiser to try to steer national health policy to make it affordable.

Showing 101 of 4,798 reviews