Kalahari Resorts and Conventions Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions Manager Reviews

Updated Nov 25, 2019

2.8
Kalahari Resorts and Conventions Owner and President Todd Nelson  (no image)
Todd Nelson
  1. "It’s a great job with a lot to offers"

Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pocono, PA

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment Great training Work hard play harder There’s always someone to go to

Cons

Employee lunch should be bette

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the employees they are what matters the most.

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2019-01-09

"Management Review"

Former Employee - Manager in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Always busy so the time passes quickly.

Cons

Upper Management has favorites. Does not look at whats best for the Company only whats best for their personal gain.

Advice to Management

Owners should open their eyes to loyal hard working hourly and salaried associates. Lot of good help left because of this. Great Company, bad Management !!!

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2019-11-25
  3. "Great Team of Coworkers"

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Line level staff are very hardworking and team oriented

Cons

Management unconcerned with product or staff

Advice to Management

Hire better corporate leaders

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2019-09-28

"Family business for a family resort"

Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pocono, PA

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful place, great opportunities for associates to move up

Cons

Manager turnover, low employee morale

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2019-08-14

"Horrible"

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady job in seasonal community.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, under staffed, not given the proper tools to complete the task (i.e. Linen for hskp, functioning computers for front office, English speaking / adult life guards). Entire resort is unsafe and unsanitary.

Advice to Management

Pointless as they are all about making money. Guests and associates are treated the same, just a number.

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2017-11-27
  6. "GROWTH"

Current Employee - Waterpark Maintenance Manager in Sandusky, OH

Pros

As a previous intern for the Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells, WI I have worked my way to a salary management position in 1.5 years. You get back what you put into it which the Kalahari Resorts recognizes these accomplishments. They like to build from the inside allowing many associates to make their way through the ranks. Outside of the potential growth for individuals in the company it brings a lot of joy to the community and guest that attend our resorts

Cons

I have no true "cons" for the Kalahari Resorts but something that can be difficult to understand is the Kalahari culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to build hourly associates to allow them to grow in the company and reach their career goals

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2017-01-06

"Micro Management and Time Tracking"

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time for less than a year

Pros

I haven't been able to find any since day one when I was lied to. Family owned and they don't operate. They can't even trust their own employees to do their job, yet none of the family would know how to do any of the jobs.

Cons

Where to begin. The owners, who are all family, micro manage every aspect of the operation. The son, who has been FIRED from his dad's company four times, has to sign off on every item purchased. Takes 5-6 weeks to get expenses back, and they can't even track those properly. Let's talk about time tracking. If you expect a salaried position, plan on punching a clock. The family doesn't trust anyone who isn't family and seem to think everyone is going to take advantage of them. I've never since being a salaried employee, had to punch a clock. They don't even trust their General Managers! Grooming Policies. They don't allow anyone to have facial hair. Yet the owner and his favorite pets are allowed to. Hotel Rooms. Don't ever stay. I can't tell you how many rooms have had bed bugs. It's absolutely disgusting. Food. If you like flies all over your food, then this is the place to be. The health department needs to pay a visit. Employee relations. They have 9 year old outdated policies. Hourly employees only get 3 days of vacation per year. Turnover. Where should we start. I've see. Salaried people leave after a week. Half the hourlies don't even last that long. Wages are the lowest I've ever see in the hotel industry. They claim that over 60% of management has come up through the ranks. Well that's because anyone who knows how to operate a resort, and then sees how they operate one, gets out. So they promote up because no one else wants to do the job. How do you move a front desk clerk to a Director? Safety. I guess having one security guard on an overnight shift for the entire property is considered safe. Cops are here constantly. High rate of credit card theft. In fact they had a credit card breach just a year ago.

Advice to Management

It's amazing how the family can go to Africa for a month and then come back and tell everyone to watch your budgets. Stop micro managing. Stop badmouthing each other. Start being consistent. That's the one thing you are failing at. The hotel is in deplorable condition, the food is overpriced (no wonder 95% of your guests bring food in from the outside), and the lack of professionalism is prevalent. Start taking management classes and stop promoting incompetence.

Kalahari Resorts and Conventions2016-11-01