Kalahari Resorts and Conventions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Todd Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling depending on the department you work in (in 4 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, decent pay for the area, excellent co-workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • hectic schedules working holidays, long hours (in 4 reviews)

• Members in my department do not really know their jobs and upper management does not do anything to really address it (in 3 reviews)

1. "Utility"

Former Employee - Special Projects in Norwalk, OH
    Former Employee - Special Projects in Norwalk, OH

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of things to keep you busy. As a resort there's a lot of people from all over the world coming and going, you get to learn a lot and experience different cultures. Easy to make friends and contacts with people from different countries or local.

Cons

Management is rather unprofessional. They need to be reminded several times about an issue and usually wait till the last minute when it's too late to resolve an issue known about months in advance. Many times they play favorites with employees. At the time of my leave many were more concerned about losing their jobs and throwing others under a bus than just doing the work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are out there doing the actual labor. Numbers on a paper do not always accurately represent the work required for a problem. Hopefully the recent additions to upper management will help.

2. "Good co-workers, BAD management"

Current Employee - Room Attendant/Laundry in Pocono Manor, PA
    Current Employee - Room Attendant/Laundry in Pocono Manor, PA

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent pay for the area, excellent co-workers. My co-workers are amazing people and I’ve meet life long friends here.

Cons

BAD management, terrible work/life management. Expectation is extremely high and the appreciation for that expectation is null. If your going to have employee appreciation, it’s needs to be followed through, not whenever it’s convenient.

Advice to Management

Listen to the “little people” and not just your managers. We are in the day to day; on the front lines so to speak. We don’t have to worry about impressing you as much as the managers. I’m all for promoting from within, but it should be with the right people. Management only looks out for themselves and they have no problem throwing their employees under the bus; I’ve witnessed it many times, to save their own skin. Management should have to be accountable for their actions and should respect their employees as we are to respect our management. Also, the employees should have a little more wiggle room when it comes to work/life balance. We are people and not robots and shouldn’t have to be expected to work our fingers to the bone and not even receive a break for lunch. You ask that we give all to Kalahari, even at the expense of our own families. I get that it’s a career in hospitality, but you should give as much as you expect. We are people too. The amount of stress put on you to make sure everything gets done on time is ridiculous in the housekeeping area. I’ve never seen so many people quit on the day they started in my life. Management talks to you like crap and treats you no better. There should be someone we can talk to without having to go through the chain of command when it’s necessary. Having to do that when the place is full of clicks is very intimidating. I myself, have intimated and treated as a joke. And when you have employees with degrees, you should look into hem and see what they can offer you instead of blowing them off. I’m giving two stars for his reason. If management wasn’t a giant click that all banded together to intimate you, this place would be a great place to have a career.

3. "Kalahari Living The Dream"

Current Employee - Public Space Attendant in Pocono Manor, PA
    Current Employee - Public Space Attendant in Pocono Manor, PA

Pros

It's a nice job place to work at.

Cons

Certain mangers/supervisors need to know how to talk to employees. Respect goes a long way..

Advice to Management

All the general mangers and directors are awesome and a few mangers in the waterpark. But some mangers and supervisors in the waterpark need to know how to talk to employees with respect and less attitude and rudeness. In ny book respect goes a long way. When I'm at work I work my butt off. So when I'm talked to by a manger or supervisor I expect them to talk to me with respect.

4. "Not What You Expect"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount tickets for water park and sometimes rooms
    Fun environment
    Flexible schedule
    Room for advancement
    Good training
    Fast paced, complex, and constantly changing

Cons

In the KEC, you get paid below industry standard, and commission is always a question mark.
    Guests are more important than staff

Advice to Management

I never received a commission check from July or August, and the manager at the time, Terry, promised to look into it; never got an answer. The KEC needs to be autonomous from Wisconsin, and commission payout needs to be clearer/better explained. Additionally, nobody wants to eat the food in the employee break room. If we want to interact with the guests, we need to eat what they eat.

5. "The worst job I ever had."

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The old awful manager got fired and they raised our pay to basically make us stay. Coworkers were nice too.

Cons

Unprofessional. Very very disorganized. Very overworked. Did not understand the meaning of “part-time” (anyone that was part time worked 40+hours anyway.) Poor management. Went against people’s availability.

Advice to Management

Become more organized

6. "Front desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Mount Pocono, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Mount Pocono, PA

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions (More than a year)

Pros

Not much positivity except that it is a job and all the other agents up to supervisor level are awesome though

Cons

Management , no growth opportunity ( though they say there is endless but never does anything with it.) but then when people try to transfer to different dept they won’t allow you by giving you an empty promos on moving up and then never follows through. Pay is terrible on associate and supervisor level for what you have to go through and deal with. You are just a figure there they do not care about the employees (mgmnt)

Advice to Management

Get new management because the management there is a joke and does not belong in a management position. Very unprofessional. my last month at least 12 people ( and that’s being generous)left voluntarily because of the management there including myself.

7. "3rd Shift Common Area Attendant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocono Manor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocono Manor, PA

Pros

It's a job if you don't have one

Cons

Supervisors don't really know what they are doing.
    If you do not have a manager for your department you will get lost in the daily shuffle
    You are asked to work 20 days in a row at a time and may be written up if you call out during that period regardless of it you need a day off
    Company vision is good but it is not fully implemented in the Pocono location
    Company list jobs that are not really available to draw people in and then stick them in lower position with no real room for advancement

8. "Unpleasant"

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time

Pros

Employee discount given throughout resort

Cons

Employees are expected to be invisible and are made to feel that way as well

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as well as your customers

9. "Food and Beverage"

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions part-time

Pros

Nice space, fun atmosphere, nice co-workers

Cons

Understaffed and often work without much direction. Scheduled long hours (10-12 hour shifts)

Advice to Management

need to hire more people

10. "Good starting job but not the best job"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They employ a lot of people and there is a lot of opportunities to advance your career if you choose to. You can get a lot of hours and it is a beautiful place.

Cons

A lot of my coworkers were immature which made the job less enjoyable. I like the company and the management but did not like who I worked alongside.

Advice to Management

Communication could always be improved and the uniforms for the people at the front desk are hideous.