Kalahari Resorts and Conventions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Nelson

Pros
  • Nice people; promotions always come within the company (in 2 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the overall work environment it's great (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • hectic schedules working holidays, long hours (in 3 reviews)

• Busy times of the season are extremely stressful and may not be able to be handled by everyone (in 2 reviews)

1. "Guide"

Former Employee - Guide in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Former Employee - Guide in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Very flexiable. Good pay

Cons

None everything was good. No complaints

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocono Manor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocono Manor, PA

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks are very nice and there are a handful of decent employees that are pleasant to work with

Cons

There are honestly too many to name, however the biggest issue is management and the blatant favoritism in this organization. No matter what good you do, you are only recognized for mistakes. The disrespect, unfair treatment and most of all discrimination is ridiculous. The majority of the employees are miserable and unhappy as a result. I would never ever encourage anyone to become a part of this organization.

Advice to Management

BIGGEST problem...There are way too many people in management positions that they are not qualified for. Rather than promoting someone because they are a favorite or from the corporate location, there should be more important qualities to take into consideration such as their proven management skills, customer service/people skills and previous experience. The majority of the employees are sad and unhappy to be there and the turn over rate is extremely high due to poor management, including but not limited to the GM who mistreats everyone. While there are always people in need of employment, its better to treat valuable employees with kindness and respect in order to keep them rather than treating them poorly and with no concern because there are other in line for the job. The resort would not be so understaffed if management did not cause everyone to quit (including me)

3. "Former employee- Did not like hospitality"

Former Employee - Intern in Pocono Manor, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pocono Manor, PA

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people; promotions always come within the company

Cons

Expect to work all holidays and weekends

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on regular employees- Most of them slack off and have a perfect strategy on how not to get caught

5. "Kalahari Resorts as an Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisconsin Dells, WI

Pros

Kalahari is a wonderful, family-owned company that strives to provide the best work environment for its employees. Some words that I would use to describe Kalahari as an employer would be: positive, professional, friendly, team-oriented, flexible, understanding, compassionate, and fun, just to name a few. There is plenty of growth potential in the company and there are so many employees that have moved up from within. They really take the time to teach you about the company and give you the information you need to be successful. The leaders work alongside the employees and really care about your professional success.

Cons

Kalahari is a high-quality resort and the environment is fast-paced. This may not always be for everyone, although the day goes fast!

Advice to Management

Be sure to spread the word of all the growth stories within your teams to motivate others to do the same.

6. "GROWTH"

Current Employee - Waterpark Maintenance Manager in Sandusky, OH
    Current Employee - Waterpark Maintenance Manager in Sandusky, OH

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a previous intern for the Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells, WI I have worked my way to a salary management position in 1.5 years. You get back what you put into it which the Kalahari Resorts recognizes these accomplishments. They like to build from the inside allowing many associates to make their way through the ranks.

Outside of the potential growth for individuals in the company it brings a lot of joy to the community and guest that attend our resorts

Cons

I have no true "cons" for the Kalahari Resorts but something that can be difficult to understand is the Kalahari culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to build hourly associates to allow them to grow in the company and reach their career goals

7. "Room attendant"

Current Employee - Room Attendant in Mount Pocono, PA
    Current Employee - Room Attendant in Mount Pocono, PA

I have been working at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to work in other departments when there aren't enough hours in your own dept. Mgmt does try to keep things light and offer perks whenever possible.

Cons

Poor communication betweend staff and mgmt. Often one sided. I get the impression that mgmt really isn't interested in hearing what the staff has to say. High turnover rate due to this and other issues. Seniority means nothing.

Advice to Management

Care about the consequences of your decisions and how it will affect your staff. People want to be heard- "spoken to" not "talked at". Respect your employees more. Especially the ones that have been there a while.

Dec 22, 2016 – Director of Culture and Employment

Thank you for your input! We've glad that you're able to find the full-time hours that you're looking for. We are proud of the successes that we've had in promoting those that are performing, and ... More

8. "Summer internship"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Wisconsin Dells, WI

Pros

Flexible scheduling depending on the department you work in. As an intern, was in more of a supervisor status which allowed flexibility. Great culture and fun company to work for!

Cons

Some department managers would talk down to you. Property was incredible understaffed, virtually no employees could take time off during the summer because the property was so short staffed-unless you were a manager. No set schedule every week-days of varied on a week to week basis.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas and suggestions that employees bring.

Dec 22, 2016 – Director of Culture and Employment

Thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback. I'm really happy that you note our strong culture and that we're a fun brand! We have a long standing tradition of being an employer of ... More

9. "Great place to work for"

Former Employee - Management in Mount Pocono, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Mount Pocono, PA

Pros

Great company that has an awesome story of how they started with a vision.
    Very family oriented
    Direct line to owners when needed
    They listen to ideas

Cons

Benefits could improve
    Hours of work could improve as well

Dec 22, 2016 – Director of Culture and Employment

Thanks so much for the rating and comments. We're all proud of our story, and that many of us that have been here for a while have had a hand in molding and shaping the brand. I often times say ... More

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions (More than 3 years)

Pros

They can never keep any good employees...

Cons

You can work every weekend and every holiday.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat good people well.

Dec 22, 2016 – Director of Culture and Employment

Thank you very much for your comments. We're so proud to be a hospitality leader that hosts an annual luncheon for all of our associates that have been employed more than five years. Each year that ... More

"Micro Management and Time Tracking"

Former Employee - Manager in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been able to find any since day one when I was lied to. Family owned and they don't operate. They can't even trust their own employees to do their job, yet none of the family would know how to do any of the jobs.

Cons

Where to begin. The owners, who are all family, micro manage every aspect of the operation. The son, who has been FIRED from his dad's company four times, has to sign off on every item purchased. Takes 5-6 weeks to get expenses back, and they can't even track those properly.
    Let's talk about time tracking. If you expect a salaried position, plan on punching a clock. The family doesn't trust anyone who isn't family and seem to think everyone is going to take advantage of them. I've never since being a salaried employee, had to punch a clock. They don't even trust their General Managers!
    Grooming Policies. They don't allow anyone to have facial hair. Yet the owner and his favorite pets are allowed to.
    Hotel Rooms. Don't ever stay. I can't tell you how many rooms have had bed bugs. It's absolutely disgusting.
    Food. If you like flies all over your food, then this is the place to be. The health department needs to pay a visit.
    Employee relations. They have 9 year old outdated policies. Hourly employees only get 3 days of vacation per year.
    Turnover. Where should we start. I've see. Salaried people leave after a week. Half the hourlies don't even last that long. Wages are the lowest I've ever see in the hotel industry. They claim that over 60% of management has come up through the ranks. Well that's because anyone who knows how to operate a resort, and then sees how they operate one, gets out. So they promote up because no one else wants to do the job. How do you move a front desk clerk to a Director?
    Safety. I guess having one security guard on an overnight shift for the entire property is considered safe. Cops are here constantly. High rate of credit card theft. In fact they had a credit card breach just a year ago.

Advice to Management

It's amazing how the family can go to Africa for a month and then come back and tell everyone to watch your budgets. Stop micro managing. Stop badmouthing each other. Start being consistent. That's the one thing you are failing at. The hotel is in deplorable condition, the food is overpriced (no wonder 95% of your guests bring food in from the outside), and the lack of professionalism is prevalent. Start taking management classes and stop promoting incompetence.

Jan 5, 2017 – Director of Culture and Employment

I'm more than happy to have a discussion with you regarding any and all of these points. Please email me at jmanke@kalahariresorts.com.