Kamehameha Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Livingston “Jack” Wong

1. "Fantastic place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cultured, connected, perpetuating service and kuleana everyday - with many smiles and aloha hugs. Best job - ever.

Cons

That I moved, and that KS, with all of its staff, didn't come with me!

"Very unorganized, not what you expect of "Kamehameha""

Former Employee - Extended Day Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Extended Day Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Gives you money to purchase supplies for students, nice working environment, HR fixes problems that arise, 10 month work schedule--summers off

Cons

No orientation for new staff, everyone has their own curriculum, very unorganized, staff members are very childish and try to get others fired for no reason, old staff members are stuck in their old ways and do not like change.

Advice to Management

Put together orientation for staff, feels like staff are just thrown into their positions without much training.

3. "Great experience working at KS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved being able to work in Hawai'i and learn so much about the Hawaiian culture

Cons

Takes a long time to get things done

"Don't work in HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is trying to re strategize itself as having a native and cultural foundation in Hawaiian values and history. The pay, especially for Hawaii is decent and they pay top dollar, but they have to because no one will work here.

Cons

Management at the top is so disconnected with what is really happening at the bottom. This environment is so politically driven that those who have worked here for decades have more power even without having more than a high school (usually KS) education. This company moves slower than a snail so if you are a hard worker and are used to getting things done, that type of mentality won't work here.

6. "Let's be fair!"

I have been working at Kamehameha Schools full-time

Pros

Great benefits, more holidays than hubby's Federal job and generous vacation/sick/family sick leave. Lots of aloha (warm and friendly coworkers) and opportunities to engage in Hawaiian cultural learning events free of cost. They put their money where their mouth is by investing in Hawaiian Language classes that all employees need to attend - perpetuating and normalizing the Hawaiian Language. Diverse range of positions - organization employs people in security, trades, teacher, accountant, marketing, IT, and legal roles among many others. Amazing opportunity to support a wonderful mission and help children and families in our community. Very untrue to say only cronies and alumni are hired here! It's a common misconception you have to be Hawaiian to work here as well. I am not an alumni, nor do I have any Hawaiian blood but I have been employed at KS for 4 years. The vast majority of us who work here are NOT KS alumni!

Cons

It's true there is a lot of organizational change as KS is constantly striving towards lofty goals. With change, turnover is inevitable but I believe in the mission and I believe our leaders are sincere in trying to become a high performing, worldclass Hawaiian organization. I agree it can be confusing and discouraging at times but I try to focus on the big picture. It's also true that it takes a long time for things to happen around here (lots of red tape) but I think that's pretty true for all organizations of our size. It would be nice if we could be more nimble and implement ideas/changes in process faster.

Advice to Management

Don't lose our Native Hawaiian organizational identity by pushing out the aloha in our drive towards high performing organizational excellence! Our culture centers around 'ohana. As we become more and more corporate in environment, beware losing that feeling of 'ohana in the workplace. It's that feeling of 'ohana that many of us treasure and which makes KS unique.

7. "Admissions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Family style atmosphere, rewarding, safe, clean friendly.

Cons

Need your degree to advance

Advice to Management

Do what you say

"Project Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

Pros

-Professional development
    -Exposure and ability to work across large organization
    -For some, it's a dream come true to work for KS

Cons

-Heavy office politics
    -Self-conscious organization
    -Appropriation of Hawaiian culture to further economic and political interests of organization
    -Despite being a Native Hawaiian organization, largely Western and antiquated in structure (i.e. hierarchical)
    -Nepotism
    -Unclear on roles and responsibilities as organization restructures

Advice to Management

Good luck!

9. "hire better people"

Former Employee - Custodial in Mililani, HI
    Former Employee - Custodial in Mililani, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools (More than a year)

Pros

nice crew to work with.

Cons

poor staff management, poor training process when i worked there.

Advice to Management

hire supervisor to delegate work.

10. "Ohana Kamehameha Schools"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Community of people. Supportive environment. Fosters growth and learning, especially in nohona Hawaii. Opportunity for growth and development. Great benefits. Pa`ina to celebrate staff several times a year.

Cons

Staff located in different regionals (pro and con). Organizational changes every other year.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities to work from abroad.

"Great people and relationships but limited in technology, too much red tape"

Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, very friendly and welcoming, building relationships with people is important.
    Awesome benefits, including wellness programs (e.g. discounted or free gym memberships or workout activities).
    Cultural awareness and volunteering activities is encouraged and often takes place during work hours.
    401K.
    Professional Development (classes, courses or training is encouraged).
    Lax environment.
    After 5 years, your vacation increases by 5 days a year. After 10 years total, increases by 10.

Cons

Red tape, too many processes or hurdles to go through (e.g. approvals) just to get one thing done.
    Slow to get innovative technology implemented, not enough IT strategy with enterprise and capacity thinking.
    Too many changes; not enough analysis done before decisions are made.
    Political (management has to sing a certain tune and get along with everyone, otherwise they are looked upon negatively).
    Not enough strong leadership to sail this ship -- too many cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Keep things transparent to staff, they shouldn't be kept in the dark.