Kansas City Zoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Randy Wisthoff

1. "Kansas City Zoo"

Former Employee - Admissions Team Member in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Admissions Team Member in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun-loving , awesome, new adventure every day!

Cons

Can't name any cons at all.

2. "Good benefits, average pay, poor management/lots of drama"

Former Employee - Animal Keeper in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Animal Keeper in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse work load. Good benefits. Average pay for keeper staff.

Cons

Not a lot of recognition towards keepers. A lot of drama. Poor Management.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff.

3. "Eh!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the people and environment. And let's not forget all the beautiful animals! Constantly working and meeting new people was definitely a plus.

Cons

No training. I literally interviewed, did a drug test the same day, came back that following Saturday for orientation, then started working the next day.

They showed me where the money room was, where all cashier got their cash bags, then had a security officers escort me to my designated area.

I have no clue how to work the register, considering it being my first job. And plus, I had three different managers, that wasn't on one accord of where they wanted certain people stationed at.

Eventually I was moved to work in a different area, and I absolutely loved it. I had met our Lead once, but she seemed alright. Then a few days later, we had a different lead, and we didn't get along too well.

She tried to make me get on my hands and knees to scrub the floors! She gave me a list of things I needed to do, as to cleaning my station. And my manager just stood there, looking dumbfounded.

I had three mangers, and even the CEO of food and beverage department come to my station, and no one ever complained. And that was the last day I've ever stepped foot onto The Kansas City Zoo grounds.

4. "Not Appreciated"

Current Employee - Seasonal Keeper in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Seasonal Keeper in Independence, MO

I have been working at Kansas City Zoo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with various types of animals
    Nice coworkers that were willing to help out

Cons

Management wasn't very involved
    Not enough time for training
    bad compensation
    Rarely conversed with people outside of team
    Too large of teams

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is feeling appreciated, I was constantly putting forth more effort at work than many of the full time people who sat around for half the day and would jump up when the supervisor came around.

5. "Event Planner Internship"

Current Employee - Event Planner in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Event Planner in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice, you get to the behind the scenes at the zoo, and its a once in a lifetime job.

Cons

A lot of times you are left with very little to do and there is barely any room to move up.

Advice to Management

Make a structure handbook for the interns, also have an on going list of stuff that you need to get done so when they come to you for work you have something for them.

"Not concerned with their workers"

Former Employee - Membership Sales in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Membership Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work outdoors, meet new people

Cons

A lot of people who work here really haven't had decent jobs in the past. I was probably one of few workers who had previously received benefits and great treatment from their management. The way management will treat you here is wrong. On hot and long days they have no concern for your health and sales here are completely unfair. You would receive 50 cents per membership sale. Some peopel would sit inside in air conditioning and enter in mail-in membership applications and get paid over 20/hour while some people have to stay outside and try and cold-sell people. It's really not fair and management did little to help with this. I think the employees here need to have better standards. Horrible place to work. Not very many opportunities either for your career.

Advice to Management

Get off your power trip, it's the zoo and not the hilton hotel. A relaxed and fun atmosphere will go a long way for staff and customers alike.

"Starter Zoo, not a reputable career zoo."

Former Employee - Zoo Keeper in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Zoo Keeper in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kansas City Zoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Young, social staff. Great animal variety--easy to switch teams.

Cons

Inexperienced staff, lack of professional training and research opportunities. Management uses questionable judgement, with the priority being zoo visitors, not the animals.

Advice to Management

Invest more in staff, and be more focused on animal welfare.

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Animal Care in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Animal Care in Kansas City, MO

Pros

We have excellent and inexpensive benefits, probably the best overall benefits package I've had at any employer.
    We have a large/varied animal collection.
    We just received a tax initiative that will in theory make the zoo more financially secure

Cons

Many employees are afraid to voice concerns/complaints for fear of retribution from senior management.
    Many zoo departments are extremely understaffed and therefore the animals do not receive the care they deserve
    The money from the sales tax initiative that passed in November is mainly going to be used to build new exhibits/attractions rather than to staff the zoo to the appropriate level for our current collection.
    Staff are treated poorly by upper management (overworked, under-appreciated, some verbal abuse, etc)
    High staff turnover both from employees quitting and being fired (someone quits at least once a week, someone is fired at least once a month)

Advice to Management

Listen to employee suggestions/comments rather than dismissing them. Allow for open and professional communication between management and non-management without jumping to firing people who express concerns with the zoo. Recognize the amount of time and dedication that staff are already putting in rather than constantly asking for more from them. Bring the primary focus of the zoo back to giving the animals the best care; anything else should come second.

"Kansas City Zoo - Meh."

Former Employee - Rides Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Rides Cashier in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I think the biggest pro would be getting to work outdoors. Being stuck inside working all the time can get pretty draining in my opinion. Working in the Rides or Admissions department can be pretty fun. If you're in rides and a driver, you at least get to drive around all day (yes, at a slow pace, but the day goes by pretty quickly). I wasn't in admissions, but it seemed like most of them got to drive around in golf karts all day running errands, so pretty nice. Pretty much any department other than Food and Beverage seems to afford employees a decent amount of responsibility.

Cons

Work gets pretty repetitive, especially as a cashier. Probably the worst thing is when the zoo is crowded at the beginning of spring, patrons are constantly complaining about how long they have to wait for their rides to and from wherever. Such slothfulness.

Advice to Management

I don't know about the other departments, but the zoo directors are VERY terse with Rides. Even on insanely slow days when there's nothing to do, we aren't allowed to bring a book to read or anything. We just had to stand there looking around like idiots hoping SOMEONE will show up so we had something to do. The late fall and mid-summer are the absolute worst because of this ridiculous edict.

10. "Love my job mostly"

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Kansas City Zoo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to work at the zoo. Somewhat flexible schedule.

Cons

Don't feel like ever be able to move up.