Kansas Department of Corrections Reviews | Glassdoor

Kansas Department of Corrections Warden Sam Cline
Sam Cline
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Correctional Officer II"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in El Dorado, KS
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in El Dorado, KS

I worked at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(My ending pay rate was $15.38.) There is camaraderie amongst Officers. You receive free training on the use of weapons and chemical agents. You work in a place that genuinely needs you to be there. The safety of you and your fellow Officers is the top priority of your immediate Supervisors. The benefits are much better than many places, though, they do have room for improvement.

Cons

You walk around knowing that you are in the midst of people who would kill you if they got the chance. If your shift lands on a Holiday, you will be at work.

Advice to Management

Good Job. But remember, there "nice" ways of phrasing orders.

2. "Unit Team Supervisor"

Current Employee - Unit Team Supervisor in Lansing, KS
    Current Employee - Unit Team Supervisor in Lansing, KS

I have been working at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at KDOC allows me to be a part of keeping the community safe and helping to rehabilitate offenders who need to address behaviors and successfully reintegrate into the community.

Cons

The process of the facility is unorganized. A lot of the staff is unprofessional. They don't utilize themselves as role models for the offenders. There should be one process consistent with policy, but each manager does the job and teaches the job how they would prefer it to be done.

Advice to Management

Allow for more training for incoming employees. This should include a professional and positivity training. The processes of the facility should be more consistent and strict for the offenders. There should be no gray areas, or at least not as many gray areas as are apparent. Also, re-hire for the positions that are needed so that your staff isn't being overworked and underpaid. You will keep good employees this way.

3. "Good place to get into the workforce and get skills"

Current Employee - Corrections Officer I/Maintenance in El Dorado, KS
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer I/Maintenance in El Dorado, KS

Pros

Nice starting pay for the requirements that it has. 3 shifts to choose from. Get paid while training for position

Cons

Seems to be a disconnect between officers and upper management. No raises. Constantly changing environment that leads to difficulty getting a good grip on the way certain areas are supposed to run

Advice to Management

Try to reconnect with your COI level employees to see what things are working and what things aren't. maybe they have a few ideas on how to make things work more safely and efficiently as well

4. "Decent place to work for a short time."

I have been working at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

You will always have a paycheck and a job

Cons

its very mentally draining at times.

5. "LCF"

I worked at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

There are no pros unless you need a job to get by until furthering yourself. Even then, save yourself the stress and work as a security guard or something. GO TO SCHOOL!

Cons

Small town with limited jobs, a little more than minimum wage, stress, co-workers are terrible, most employees don't understand prison is for rehabilitation not to be punished all the time.

6. "Corrections Officer II"

Current Employee - Corrections Officer II in Hutchinson, KS
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer II in Hutchinson, KS

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Low pay for the risk of your life.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee like you care about them

7. "Job conditions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

The facility is really nice and updated. They are always upgrading the facility. They have heating and air conditioning.

Cons

They have an extremely high turnover rate. They seem to care more about the image if the facility and the juveniles incarcerated there then they do the staff. They treat Corrections Officers like they are Corrections Counselors and expect us to handle the kids every needs. We get paid 14$ an hour and Corrections Counselors get paid 18$ an hour or more. Why are Officers doing their job.

Advice to Management

Higher ups such as Sergeants, Lt, and CPT should be on the floor more with the officers to show support. Corrections Counselors should be on the units at all times and help out with the Juvenile Offenders. A Corrections Counselor should be in the school at all times to handle the kids issues.

8. "CC1"

Former Employee - Corrections Specialist in Park City, KS
    Former Employee - Corrections Specialist in Park City, KS

I worked at Kansas Department of Corrections (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some co-workers are great other will stab you in the back.

Cons

The warden was horrendous at best.

"So your want to be a Corrections Officer in Kansas"

Current Employee - Correctional Supervisor I in Lansing, KS
    Current Employee - Correctional Supervisor I in Lansing, KS

I have been working at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

100% job security, tons of overtime available, good benefits, Good place to get your feet wet for the law enforcement field.

Cons

Work conditions, 34% turnover rate, No raises in 7yrs.

Advice to Management

Body cam would be a HUGE benefit to keep staff honest about events that take place.

"Great to start your career"

I have been working at Kansas Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. Many different people to learn from and get experience from.

Cons

Overtime. Poor morale. Young officers make safety issues a bit concerning at times.