Kansas Department of Labor Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "No respect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at Kansas Department of Labor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

state benefits, some flexible hours depending on your position.

Cons

Management style is from the 80s and based on fear, disrespect, and communication on a as needed basis only. This attitude by even the highest level of management have lead to an atmosphere of distrust, fear of being fired and employees just trying to keep their head down and out of sight of management. It is simply a place to put in 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Update management still and learn from mistakes to try to keep good employees.

2. "Complete Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at Kansas Department of Labor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very little pros with working for the state of Kansas. They do still offer liberal vacation and sick leave. It is sad the biggest pro is not being at working.

Cons

Low pay and very little respect for employees. The management is out of touch, in chaos/disorganized and uses a management style that was true of business practices in the 60s. Communication is basically nonexistent. Little if any employee opportunities to gain new skills, or progress a career. The IT technology is completely outdated.

3. "Administeative"

I worked at Kansas Department of Labor full-time

Pros

Some of the coworkers make it very enjoyable

Cons

Very political hard to move up unless you are the ceos close friends

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and be more understanding

4. "Career"

I have been working at Kansas Department of Labor full-time

Pros

Very active career choice, always doing new things.

Cons

Work flow can be very busy.

5. "Business analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

people are friendly and helpful, senior management team is making some drastic changes for good.

Cons

using way too old technology

6. "Disorganized"

Pros

The work can be interesting.

Cons

This agency is overrun by the "good ole boys" club. They promote their buddies into positions they have no business being in and squash the careers of those who disagree with them. Backstabbing is common in this negative environment. Management works very little. They leave early and/or sit in useless meetings all day; meanwhile dumping on the real workers. I'd stay far away if I were you.

"Destroying for future years"

Pros

There are slowly becoming no pros for working here. They talk all this teamwork stuff but there is no follow through.

Cons

They are promoting people because they like them, not because they have any practical experience. In a few years when all the experienced people have left or retired they will be left with a bunch of young kids that have no idea how to run things.

Advice to Management

Look further than the end of your nose.

"Embarrassing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Kansas Department of Labor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are absolutely no Pros to working here. It is a complete shame not more light has been shed on how poor this place is being run. I don't believe there is any hope for this place anymore. We're just biding our time till it fails now. Of course, we'll be left to blame when this awful administration and management team is gone.

Cons

1. The IT Dictator has 0 experience in management, or IT it would seem. He surrounds himself with morons and even less competent managers, who act superior to everyone else.
    2. The administration is either just as moronic or completely oblivious to how bad it is over here.
    3. Politics will make you sick to your stomach. Here these morons walk around talking about legislative meetings and wearing their legislative badges around like it means something or is supposed to be impressive.
    4. Seven CIOs in six years and it has actually gotten worse every time. I will say, whoever is next can't be any worse. No experience or skill required.
    5. There is no room for growth, no motivation, no positive things to say. Morale is at an all-time low contrary to what management staff says for the little guys. This place is awful. Ask the 14 employees who were already, luckily, able to leave under the latest management.

Advice to Management

Come over and sit with us. If you truly think this place is being ran well you are either a complete idiot, or just part of the political circus in Kansas.

"Top place to work - years ago..."

I worked at Kansas Department of Labor full-time

Pros

Amazing place to work - years ago... Amazing management who gave opportunities to employees and new hires to grow - years ago.... Cutting edge technology and architecture that attracted top talent - years ago...

Cons

Everything dealing with labor in Kansas is highly political. Unemployment, workers compensation, labor law, union law.... Even the mainframe is political.

Advice to Management

I am looking for this to become a top place to work again in about two years time once the current administration have left.

"A real shame"

Pros

I don't even think I can even come up with 20 words to describe what the pros are working for this company. I would have to say working with some of the people that actually understand what each other is having to deal with.

Cons

Favoritism and cronyism. They don't value superior employees. Mgmt makes decisions without even thinking things through. Overworked for the pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and ACTUALLY do something. They aren't complaining just to complain.