Kaplan Academic Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaplan Academic Manager Reviews

Updated Sep 10, 2013

2.0
Kaplan Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Andrew S. Rosen (no image)
Andrew S. Rosen
0 Rating

"Great company - for marketers, not for educators"

Academic Manager

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

When I first started working for Kaplan I was exposed to several things about standardized tests that I was never aware of. I was able to offer the best advice to families based on the expertise that I have had. Working under a manager who had several years of experience in the business really helped. New employees are strongly supported and given all the skills necessary to succeed. Kaplan also offers amazing benefits. The medical and dental packages are perfect for anyone that sees one doctor yearly or several. The company also offers tons of corporate discounts, matching gifts donations, and the opportunity to take any course the company offers for free.

Cons

Although Kaplan is known for it's leading educational business, it is not a company for educators (unless you are willing to work part time). Kaplan puts its products first and finds products sales to be of utmost importance. As in many corporate organizations there are some rules to be followed, and the company prefers someone that "goes with the flow". There are usually yearly changes and restructures that all employees are expected to follow and not question. The company tends to promote based on revenue earned and not on hard work, or skill set. You may also be expected to work outside of a 40 hour work week with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Working in a team is essential. A title of senior management should not prevent you from understanding the entire team, and doing your best to create a cohesive work environment.

Kaplan2009-02-10

"Profit-Driven Company, Contrary to Mission Statement"

Former Employee - Academic Manager

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The teachers and staff at every center are incredibly hard-working. They are passionate about their students' success and give tirelessly of themselves. The environment is fun for students and staff alike, and there's a lot of emphasis on the "whole experience" - education, housing, and social life. Some truly amazing educational growth is fostered at Kaplan.

Cons

The company pushes the local centers to achieve almost unattainable goals with regard to profit and efficiency. The teachers are slapped on the wrist if they spend too much time preparing for classes, when the company doesn't provide complete curricula in many cases. The administrative staff are responsible for much more than 40 hours worth of work each week, but any deviation from target goals brings down a hailstorm of corporate anger. For example: if we run a class larger than 15, we get in trouble because that's greater than our class size maximum, but if we divide a class of 16 into 2 classes of 8, we get punished because we're paying too many teachers. The messaging from upper management to center management is that we should execute constant change in order to watch the bottom line, but this proves disruptive and confusing and can result in student dissatisfaction...which we're later punished for.

Advice to Management

Please come to the centers and watch what we do - don't make us have meetings with you during our regular (incredibly busy workday), just WATCH us. See how hard we work. See how happy our students are. And then let us hire some support so that we can all go home at a reasonable hour.

Kaplan2013-09-10

"The definition of Corporate. More bad than good."

Former Employee - Academic Manager

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work experience and location.

Cons

Kaplan mangement really couldn't care less about their staff, teachers AND students

Advice to Management

Kaplan makes INCREDIBLE profits compared to what you pay the people who actually do the work. Stop saying you listen to Staff, Teachers and Students and start doing it.

Kaplan2013-08-01

"Part-time is Great. Never Work Full Time for Them...."

Academic Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

The people are really nice and tend to be smart. The teachers are the best part, everyone is so friendly!

Cons

The management tends to have their heads up their asses. Never work full time for Kaplan because they will take utmost advantage of you without giving any thanks. And superior positions are given to those with the least experience sometimes.

Advice to Management

Recognize the assets you have. Promote the people you have who are working hard. When you say you're interested in developping your employees, actually follow through with it. You are losing a lot of people because you are too tight fisted. There is a saying that goes around the company- "Kaplan is a penny wise and a pound foolish."

Kaplan2008-08-11

"Kaplan is a fun place to work, but with the usual corporate downsides."

Academic Manager

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

At its best, Kaplan appreciates the unique talents of individual employees. Management will find your strengths and help you develop them. It's also stimulating to work at a company where most people are young, creative and very bright (many employees in the field and the home office started as teachers for Kaplan). Kaplan also offers opportunities for advancement and loves to promote from within. Many of the highest executives in the country started as part time teachers. The benefits package is comprehensive and very good including medical, dental, 401K and pension plans. Kaplan also provides a fun work environment. We all work hard, but most people try to keep a sense of humor.

Cons

The level of compensation is not commensurate with the amount of talent and experience employees have. We also work incredibly hard and work long hours during busy seasons. The amount you will get paid from entry level-middle management does not compensate for the amount of blood, sweat and tears that go into these jobs. You really need to love your job and be passionate about the success of our students and our organization to survive here. If you aren't, it won't be worth it. Working for Kaplan also comes with many of the downsides typical of working for a large corporation. There are many layers of management, a lot of bureaucracy, and you may often be subjected to decisions that don't seem to make sense from the ground.

Advice to Management

Senior management should spend more time in the field, actually working in the centers and dealing with students and parents on a daily basis. If they did this, I believe they could make more informed decisions about running their center, region, or business division. I also believe that communicating these decisions better with employees with improve morale.

Kaplan2008-09-29