KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Kaplan International Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2021

Found 252 of over 283 reviews

3.9
Kaplan International CEO  David Jones (no image)
David Jones
Pros
  • "Nice working environment and great colleagues(in 12 reviews)

• "I had the pleasure of working at Kaplan International Toronto for two years and it was a very positive and fulfilling experience(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There are very few benefits available to part-time teachers(in 12 reviews)

• "Roasting hot office, very poor management, toxic gossip culture(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Kaplan International and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company!

Jul 15, 2021 - English Teacher in Berkeley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive and encouraging boss, fast responses, fun attitude

Cons

None! It's a wonderful company and team. I'd definitely recommend it.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of working at Kaplan International. I am glad to see that you are enjoying your role and working alongside your wonderful colleagues at our Berkeley School. Warm regards Alex Rutherford Vice President, Human Resource

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Large organization

Aug 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Other staff were great teachers and multi-lingual. Students from all over and a lot of freedom with the curriculum. The provided curriculum is pretty good and are open to feedback.

Cons

As it is a private school, students’ needs come before teachers’ needs at some times.

3. The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

8m

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,827

951 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0

Good Experience

Aug 6, 2021 - DSO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always had something to do. Full hours. I created an effective system where I was able to get a lot of work done.

Cons

The main con was the long drive to work. The person who always slacked received helped.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working at Kaplan International. I am really pleased to see that you had a good experience with us and I wish you the best for the future. Warm regards Alex Rutherford Vice President, Human Resources

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Low-Ceiling Job for Teachers with Serious Side Hobbies

May 19, 2021 - Instructor in Harvard Square, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible Work Schedule - Preset Curricula

Cons

- Difficult to move up - Low Salary

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of working at Kaplan International, I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed flexibility working at our Harvard School and thank you for your 3+ years of service. To hopefully address some of your concerns from your time with us, I completely appreciate that progression as an Instructor has been difficult over the last few years as the business, and the industry as a whole, has faced significant challenges, most recently during the Covid-19 pandemic. During this time we have worked hard to maintain our Instructor Career Path, provide internal opportunities wherever possible, and to ensure our pay rates remain at the top end of the industry average. I appreciate that Glassdoor is a private forum, but if you would like to discuss your advice to management in an open and confidential way, you are welcome to contact me at any time. I wish you all the best for the future, thanks again for your time with Kaplan International Alex Rutherford VP of HR

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work environment

Jan 1, 2021 - ESL Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love this job! Fun environment: Amazing staff and work environment. Weekly events for staff and students and frequent work parties. Flexible: Opportunity for more hours if you offer to help at events or lead student activities in NYC. Extremely flexible hours, perfect for artists! Positive work environment due to staff relationships, and the ease of the job itself. Paid planning, easy to take time off and sick days, and if you need to travel very easy to find a substitute. Good relationship between staff and teachers, and the students truly enjoy being there. You make friends easily working here! Perks: lots of perks, parties, free food, movie nights, holiday, paid time off, sick days, you can take time off and come back and still have a job if you build a good rapport with the DOS.

Cons

Low pay for NYC. $20/hour. Do not expect this to be your only job, it can be supplement to something else but even with leading activities or substituting other classes it comes up to about $300/week which for New York is abysmal. All the part-time teachers have a second job on the side which is exhausting but necessary. I didn't for my first year and suffered financially. High turnover: lots of teachers quit or don't stay long because of the pay. Hours: even part-time its a lot of work due to planning and trying to keep up with demands of students, come up with new activities. Students are from literally all over and can be very demanding, have different cultural expectations of learning. They can come off entitled due to the fact that they're paying an arm and a leg to go there. Students may complain about you behind your back, you must try to keep students happy and get weekly classroom feedback to avoid complaints or low ratings during your monthly feedback sessions. Can be a bit stressful at first but you get used to it. Reviews: based on whether or not students like your teaching style. Some teachers have had bad reviews simply because a student was 'bored' or another student thought the class was too 'fun'. Some teachers have gotten bad reviews from students who were prejudice and lied during their feedback. Burnout: due to fast-paced NYC life, the commute, the fact that you need to have a second job on top of this one can lead to burnout when you have to plan lessons, grade papers, keep students engaged and also juggle monthly progress reports, most teachers are exhausted and easily burnout leading to high turnover but this is typical for any ESL job. No health insurance for part time teachers.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide a comprehensive review of your time at our flagship NY Central Park School. I am delighted to see how much you enjoy the environment, the flexibility, and the relationships you can build with staff and students at the school. These things really do form the pillar of the amazing experience that we provide to our students, as well as helping to create the close working bonds we see in our schools. I’ve taken on board your comments regarding compensation, availability of hours and turnover, as well as the demanding nature of the role. I know how hard all of our instructors work to provide the best experience possible for our hugely diverse range of students, and in turn we work as hard as we can to provide pay, benefits and availability of classes that keep us at the head of the industry. It’s no secret that our industry is going through one of the most, if not the most, challenging periods it has ever faced. In order to remain competitive, our schools have to find a balance between running profitable locations for the viability of the business and ensuring our employees are rewarded fairly for the work they do. Paid prep time, vacation entitlement for PT employees, paid holidays, and investment in personal development are all provided so that we can recruit and retain the best people, like you! However, I appreciate that we can always be looking to do more and will pass your comments over to our VP of HR as part of his regular review of employee compensation and benefits. I’d like to thank you for your continuing work with Kaplan International Languages. While I do understand that Glassdoor is an anonymous forum, I would welcome the opportunity speak further regarding your feedback. Warm regards, Dave (C.O.O.)

7. 4.0

Fun Place to Work.

Jan 11, 2021 - Accommodation Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff in the school allows for a fun atmosphere. Get to meet people from all over the world.

Cons

There's only so much you can develop in this industry if you don't want to manage a school. Accommodation department can mean dealing with a lot of complaints. Overall though it was a good experience.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experiences at Kaplan International Languages. I could not agree more that our school teams create a fun atmosphere, in a hugely diverse setting, to help create the best learning experience for our students. Thank you for your reflections about development within the ELT industry. Over the years, the operations management team has tried to create career development opportunities for school staff including instructors. Indeed many of our company's leaders have risen through the ranks having started in the classroom. Additionally, our Human Resources teams organize learning and development opportunities for all staff. For example, in 2021 wee will be launching the Kaplan Language Group Learning Series which will help our employees develop skills or interests outside of their current role. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Warm regards, Dave (C.O.O.)

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Probably depends on the location

Jan 10, 2021 - ESL Instructor in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, great chance to meet amazing students from all over the world, various types of classes and activities.

Cons

Compensation. Educators deserve more. A gift certificate won't change the world.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences working with Kaplan International Languages. I couldn't agree more with your reflection on the great coworkers and amazing students that make up our organization. You are not alone in your feeling that this is a major positive of working with Kaplan. It’s no secret that our industry is going through one of the most, if not the most, challenging periods it has ever faced. In order to remain competitive, our schools have to find a balance between running profitable locations for the viability of the business and ensuring our employees are rewarded fairly for the work they do. Paid prep time, vacation entitlement for PT employees, paid holidays, and investment in personal development are all provided so that we can recruit and retain the best people. However, I appreciate that we can always be looking to do more and will pass your comments over to our VP of HR as part of his regular review of employee compensation and benefits. Finally, please know that the work of all members of the KI Languages teams is deeply appreciated by the senior management team. While we try to find ways to express this appreciation, it is clear from your feedback that wee need to make more of an effort in this regard. While I know that Glassdoor is an anonymous forum, I would be happy to speak with you to hear more about your experiences working with Kaplan. Warmest regards, Dave (COO)

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good colleagues and students; corporate not so great

Dec 29, 2020 - ESL Teacher in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fellow teachers were, overall an excellent group. The teachers' room was almost always a good place to be -- welcoming and informative if you had a question about teaching. The students also were a plus. There were a few spoiled rich kids and adults, but mostly they were eager to learn and very friendly.

Cons

Corporate attitude toward teachers; the teachers definitely ranked below students and staff. That was reflected in the pay and numerous other aspects.

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working at the Kaplan International Languages school in Washington, DC. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both your time at the school and the relationship with your colleagues and our students. I’m obviously disappointed to read your perception of how teachers are viewed in our organization. Respectfully, I can only respond by stressing that this is not how I, or any of my colleagues on the senior management team, view the essential work our teachers do on a day to day basis. Indeed, several members of the top leadership team started their Kaplan careers as teachers and maintain a deep respect for the ongoing contributions of these team members. You are quite correct in saying that we would not have schools without our teachers! Still, it is clear based on your feedback that more effort is needed in expressing this appreciation. You can rest assured that I will take this topic up with our senior leadership team. While I understand that Glassdoor is an anonymous forum, I would be happy to discuss your feedback further in a conversation if you are comfortable doing so. Warm regards, Dave (C.O.O.)

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to work!

Sep 17, 2020 - Student Services Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, upper management, STUDENTS, and company culture. I was working here part time--not because I needed to but because I LOVED it there and wanted a more balanced life. My full time job was (is) real estate and I needed something that would add more fun, fulfillment, and satisfaction to my life and thus, Kaplan! I will never forget the students and even visiting some in their home countries; the passionate teachers and staff; and the joy this whole experience has brought to my life.

Cons

Glassdoor says I must enter at least 5 words...there :)

Kaplan International Response

I’d like to say a huge thank you for your 8+ years’ service with Kaplan International, that is a great achievement and your commitment to our business is very much appreciated. I am absolutely delighted to read about your positive experiences at our Huntingdon Beach School, especially the passion you describe our employees bringing to their roles. It is this passion and dedication I have seen right across our network of schools and offices that will help us to continue to provide the best experience in the industry for our students, thank you for being a part of that. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Warm regards, Alex Rutherford, Vice President, Human Resources

11. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Keplan international help students to study outside their own country

Dec 31, 2020 - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible time frame, working from home

Cons

Less ending if you have less job record,

Kaplan International Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working at Kaplan International Languages and for your continued work with us. Warm regards, Dave (C.O.O.)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 252 Reviews