Kaplan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2016

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Fun place to work with work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Work from home and pension after 3 years of employment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest downside of Kaplan is that they do not have a good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Finally, the part time benefits are not good (in 19 reviews)

1. "Absolutely horrible. Management lie and manipulate. It's not about education only butts in classes."

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't anything positive about this fake college. The people that work there are mostly of working-class backgrounds and know almost nothing about higher-education.

Cons

The executives and managers are all poorly educated and dim. No one trusts anyone and the director of enrollment is a ditzy floozy.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and allow your employees more autonomy.

2. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaplan (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, tuition reimbursement, convenient location, fun co-workers

Cons

management, over worked and under paid

3. "Program Chair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Kaplan (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great students; great mission; Director of Education and Assistant Director of Education were excellent!

Cons

Other employees created a hostile work environment that was swept under the rug. Several employees had formed a clique and made life hell for anyone they didn't like. In addition, the ring leader showed sexually explicit pictures and made lewd gestures, but when reported, again, nothing was done.

Advice to Management

Take employee complaints seriously and follow through on appropriate disciplinary actions.

5. "Flawed course content/materials - just where I once worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Mostly good, congenial support staff and people to work with

Cons

When found incorrect info in course materials and course out lines provided by the company to teach in the real estate license preparation and continuing education courses, it was difficult to get corrections made, and, just me, the time I was told to teach it as it was or not do the particular course, I could no longer stay with the company.

Advice to Management

It appeared one of the instructors in the office where I worked had an ownership interest, two of his family members worked in the office, he prepared materials, and the office manager had conflict regarding being able to correct the course materials.

6. "Company cares only about $, not staff or students"

Current Employee - Present ESL Teacher in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Present ESL Teacher in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Finish early in the day. Lots of flexibility taking unpaid time off. Freedom to do as you wish in the classroom. Rewarding work meeting interesting people.

Cons

Managers ALWAYS cut classes and teachers to save the bottom line. They routinely lay off people with no notice and shift students around in classes to maintain numbers. It's very, very obvious that the corporate management does not care *at all* about maintaining quality teachers committed to their students. They would rather have a revolving door of cheap, inexperienced workers.

Managers consistently question teachers about hours reported and pressure them to cut back on time, effectively resulting in people working and not submitting the hours for pay. Management is generally ill-informed, slow, and unhelpful. HR is a disaster.

Advice to Management

Care, even slightly, about employees.

7. "executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some real talent in the director and below level

Cons

Horrible executive management. Out of touch with long accepted management principles. Non-communicative - need I say more?

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves

"Medical Assistant Instructor"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant Instructor in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant Instructor in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

The Medical Assistant Program was awesome. The pay was okay. Most of the instructors were great to work with. Fast paced and not boring.

Cons

Administration and recruiters difficult to work with. Administration treats the instructors like children and shows no respect to them. Zero to little communication between departments. Charges entirely to much money for the program.

Advice to Management

Treat the instructors with more respect.

9. "Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ceres, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ceres, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good location good programs

Cons

There is no job security.

"It was tough, but I learned a lot"

Former Employee - Librarian in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Librarian in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For my position, it was a great place to start. I learned a lot about business, thanks to an amazing team in the business office and finance department.

Cons

While I can't speak for all of their campuses, sometimes, it feels a little shady working for these guys. The company is in the business of selling a product that is at a price point too high for their audience. Convincing people who are on the fence about that product feels dirty at times, especially when there is an entrance exam minimum requirement and the prospective students have to take it multiple times to pass.

Advice to Management

There should really be some training for the managers of these campuses. The campus where I worked was wrought with cronyism, and a mean-girl attitude. They weren't taught to be managers, or in some cases, vetted on their ability to be decent managers. Teach them how to lead a team and they will at least have the tools to try; some skills cannot be taught, but there never seemed to be any attempt (from what I could see) from corporate to teach the managers how to fish.

"Full-Time Employees Beware"

Current Employee - Full Time Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people (co-workers), a lot of independence, and you get to use your brain all day

Cons

Fear-based management, constant chaos (layoffs, restructuring, etc), institutional resentment of full-time teachers (be ready to have constant insinuations that you don't work hard enough....all the while dealing with heavy insinuation that if you so much as have an hour of overtime on your timesheet you're going to lose your job). Expect to work 50 hour weeks but not get paid for the last 10. Management once told us that we should be using our vacation days when classes are slower in order to keep our jobs. So don't get too attached to those. I won several awards there and was considered to be one of the best, and I was still in a constant state of fear over my job. Also beware the politics. Stay local, and you're fine. Start moving anywhere near national, and you're going to find yourself in the middle of a political minefield.

Advice to Management

Your product is your service (i.e. teachers). If your teachers are unhappy, your product is bad. At my new job, they often jokingly refer to my post-Kaplan PTSD. It was really that bad.