Kaplan Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Andrew S. Rosen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The biggest downside of Kaplan is that they do not have a good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Finally, the part time benefits are not good (in 19 reviews)

1. "Student Loan Counselor"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time

Pros

pay is alright, benefits good

Cons

horrible management always pitting employees against one another, way too much competition for a position with no pay incentive, unreasonable performance matrix when only your end of month goal is all that counts (many many variables can keep you from obtaining goal), although I constantly maintain my goal percentage each month it is stressful. People in my department who have been there years have recently been fired because of a couple bad goal months, people have had to take stress leave on FML due to the stressful and unrealistic work environment. I truly don't believe that HR or top Executive understand just how this department is run. It is very near employee harassment. Also, long work hours like 9 1/2 per day with 1/2 hour lunch. We have a pretty decent cafeteria with full breakfast and lunch menu. The cafeteria closes from 10:30-11:30 to prepare for lunch. Our department manager is such a control freak and ungrateful of our work that he refuses to alter our morning break a half hour, so when we take our break we can't even access the cafeteria. He sites it is because of peak times. No it isn't. He will take us off the phones at any time he feels like it to berate us. But if there is a reward involved, like eating, we get punished. It's cruel and unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop using negative re-enforcements as a motivation tool. You could get the same result with positive (all-team) motivation. I truly believe that good leadership can provide this.

2. "Kaplan International ESL Instructor"

Former Employee - ESL Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ESL Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible and the staff and students are pleasant.

Cons

low pay, few hours, unpredictable schedule

3. "Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Short Days, good work/life balance.

Cons

Quality of Students- low quality, some not concerned with learning.

4. "Admissions advisor"

Pros

Get to wear what you want

Cons

Management could work better with team

"Difficult times ahead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home and pension after 3 years of employment

Cons

No clear career path, really poor employee management, they claim its all about helping students but its all about profits.

"A dissapointing company"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time

Pros

The people in the trenches are great - really positive and want to do the right thing.

Cons

In my 25 yrs plus of working (both large and small companies) I have never seen such a poorly run company! It is astonishing. Everyone acts as a traffic cop but no one takes ownership of anything so you have to constantly chase people to get anything done. The company is driven by internal meetings that do not do anything to help the client or create revenue. I literally sat on a conference call where is was suggested we set up another conference call to deal with the timing of conference calls (I am serious). Priorities are constantly shifting, the "goals" are nebulous at best and written in "professor speak". The reality is that the "leaders" of the business units/areas have absolutely no power to make decisions as to what is best for their business. The CEO is the only one who makes every decision (dictator) and, from my experience, does not ask for any feedback from those people who actually know the answers. In fact, every decision that gets brought to him requires an overwhelming amount of paperwork and, at the end of the day, if it is not "in the budget" don't bother asking! And, last but not least, the "lean initiative" is an absolute joke! The chaos that is the business prevents the company from being so far from lean it isn't even funny!

Advice to Management

The people who work for you are all really smart and you should capitalize on that by asking people what they think is best for their business/area or, better yet, let them actually lead and make decisions. It is truly soul sucking to have no say in where things are going. And, it has been proven over and over again, if you run a business and make business decisions based on a "budget" you will never be a true success. You should read up on that!

"Pay is decent - Company is hollow"

Current Employee - Senior Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Paid Time Off, active engagement, room for growth but laughable raises.

Cons

Favortism, doesn't seem to care about students best interest, 25 cents is a joke for going from a standard agent to a Senior Agent.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together.

8. "Financial Aid"

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Paid Biweekly
    Educational Benefits
    Balance Work / Life

Cons

Alot of Micro Management
    Metrics Driven

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

Pros

Able to develop new skills.

Cons

The company does not have long-term plans. Corporate initiatives and leadership change frequently.

Advice to Management

Plan and be proactive. Employees are constantly being asked to change direction and devote time to non/revenue generating tasks. The lean initiative is not going to fix poor planning from corporate leadership.

10. "Difficult place to work"

Pros

Loved my team and the fact that I was able to work remote

Cons

Terrible salary, no employee morale