Kaplan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Fun place to work with work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Work from home and pension after 3 years of employment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest downside of Kaplan is that they do not have a good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Finally, the part time benefits are not good (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great Employer for College Students"

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Teacher
    Current Employee - SAT/ACT Teacher

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Competitive pay
    -flexible hours
    -friendly environment
    Overall a great place to work, especially if on a busy college schedule.

Cons

-Steep learning curve
    Jumping right in can be difficult even with the copious teacher training and support programs in place.

2. "Great flexibility and room for career growth!"

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training materials and training team
    Always encouraged to grow your career within the company
    Great job flexibility (pick your schedule and find classes that work within it)
    Supportive managers
    Frequent reviews and feedback (which often lead to raises)
    Get paid for all of your time spent working

Cons

frequently cancelled classes
    some disorganized programs

Advice to Management

Continue with the great training and employee development!

3. "KCC"

Pros

friendly
    down time
    interacting with college students

Cons

not many hours
    paying for parking on college campus

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Kaplan as an intern

Pros

Great hands on learning experience.

Cons

Some of the work was confusing.

6. "Sales manager"

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Young people, ultra friendly environment, frequent travel and learning

Cons

I honestly cant find any negative thing of this company, everything was great

Advice to Management

Keep all employees happy, keep doing the right thing and you will keep growing daily

7. "Great company, great culture, leads to incredible opportunities"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long term training and development programs available, extremely flexible scheduling, pay is fair and EVERYTHING (emailing students, prep time, training) is paid for unlike other tutoring and teaching companies, the staff is incredible and really cares about your well-being, a lot of the upper management full-time staff also started as teachers so there is a lot of room for growth.

Cons

There are very few cons of working here. The only true scheduled time is your teaching time so flexibility is incredible. You must score in the 90th percentile on the test you want to teach but you can take free internal tests to achieve this requirement if you haven't had the opportunity to reach this score previously.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Instructor in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Instructor in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great company structure I have enjoyed working for kaplan!

Cons

Sometimes classes are cancelled and you loose hours.

9. "Great job"

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay, awesome networking opportunities

Cons

I really don't have any

Advice to Management

none!

10. "Summer Fun at Whittier College"

Former Contractor - Summer ESL Instructor in Whittier, CA
    Former Contractor - Summer ESL Instructor in Whittier, CA

I worked at Kaplan as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get manageable classes, great support, and terrific students. I liked the fact that they gave us a reasonable amount of freedom to choose what to teach while still laying out the scope of our lessons- they give enough materials for each week that you can pick what fits your students level and interests.

Cons

Although I loved it, I would have liked to be 'more involved' with the students while there- doing more than just sitting in the classroom with them. I'm sure not every teacher felt this way but I think it gives a better understanding both of the students and situation if teachers have not just class time with them. They were a great bunch of kids that were only here for a short time but half of them stayed in the dorms and the other half were home-stay, so it takes up time to find out what they are doing in their free time everyday to help them practice conversational English. Also I would have liked a little more interaction between the different groups of students- there is only so much you can do during a class to get them to practice their English with people other than myself.

Also since it's mainly just part time for summer- there are no benefits or long term positions- which really is sad. I taught ESL in China for 12 years and had wanted to continue when I returned to the US, but while summer classes were fairly regular- but when they asked me to continue during the normal courses they were unable to give me enough consistent hours to support myself. So other than a 'side' job there is no real future for it.

Advice to Management

Try to mix the students a little better outside of class so they don't group up and speak their native languages, get the teachers more involved in outside activities so that they get a chance to communicate in an unstructured way, and try to stay away from 'book' material during the summer lessons. Reading if a good way to learn- but during the summer program your goal isn't to teach- it's to inspire curiosity and motivate students to love language. A program such as this should be student centered more than teacher centered.

11. "Many opportunities"

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've really appreciated the scheduling flexibility, the supportive management, and the development I've undergone as a teacher. I've also greatly benefited from the opportunities I've had to teach and tutor on-site and online, learn different tests, and participate in content development and project management, among other roles. You are by and large working with very smart people, and that's also fun. Pay raises have been frequent and generous. To my surprise, Kaplan really cares about learning and the success of its students -- I wasn't expecting that from a test prep company.

Cons

As a new employee, your training and prep is paid at your area's minimum wage, and you may not get many classes to teach your first year, especially if you're in a small market. I don't think teaching for Kaplan is something to do if you need a job to pay the bills. As a long-term investment, however, it's been amazing. Teachers are rated based on student ratings, and once in a while you'll get a rating that feels (or is) very unfair.

Advice to Management

Middle and upper management who are in full-time status and in New York City or in close contact with NYC headquarters can lose touch with the part-time teacher's experience. Keep working on improving and integrating student- and employee-facing systems.