Kaplan Test Prep Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kaplan Test Prep President & CEO John Polstein
John Polstein

Pros
Cons
  • Finally there's just no room for growth (in 11 reviews)

• It's difficult to get enough classes to earn a full time living wage (in 21 reviews)

"Work with really smart young people"

Former Employee - SAT Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SAT Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep part-time

Pros

They do a good job training you in their teaching method. You get paid for training and for prep work you do for lessons. I followed their teaching guidelines and all of my students increased their scores. Through their training, I overcame my fear of public speaking.

Most of the other teachers are recent college graduates. A lot of the management were pretty young too but everyone was good at their jobs.

Cons

Some of the off-site locations are not that accessible by public transportation so it helps having a car.

"Good growth potential"

Current Employee - MCAT Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MCAT Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good growth potential and Flexible hours. Can work both in person and expand to online. Team based work environment is helpful.

Cons

Hours come in with the testing cycles especially if not working online. Pay could be better but there is room for raises based on feedback.

Advice to Management

Maybe give bonuses for good benchmarks after a class

"Behind the times and top-heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of the people are smart and interesting. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Technology is very old and outdated, and the pay is woeful. We're always chasing money and forgetting about the people. The benefits are mediocre. Either people have been here for 20 years or they last a year. Finally there's just no room for growth.

Advice to Management

The company is profitable right now but we're going to be left behind soon if you can't get it together. Yes companies are built on profits but they're also built on long term vision. If you have any of that you aren't getting us that excited about it.

"Great people, low pay, management has little interest in developer careers"

Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, many talented people there, and a lot of opportunity to learn new and exciting technologies

Cons

The pay for developers was as much as 10k below average, and management took very little interest in developer career growth. Some teams had senior developers and tech leads who took interest in the junior and mid-level developers they worked with, but while it was "official" policy that they spend time helping the developers, this was not always followed or given much focus at all.

Advice to Management

Increase developer pay and 401k matching, and either drop the line about mentorship or start living it.

5. "Changing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hiring a lot of new, young people.

Cons

Test prep industry is now very disaggregated and crowded.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on content and teacher quality.

"Instructor/tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor/Classroom Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor/Classroom Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep part-time

Pros

Teaching Experience.
    Feedback & reviews after every class, given to me privately instead of on rateyourprofessor.com. A great experience for someone going into the field of higher education.
    Kids are nice.

Cons

They pay me $40 to meet with a student for two hours. With driving to their home, that's actually three hours total. They charge my student $400 for a single meeting.
    Kaplan maintains no office, and provides no office equipment, like laptops, GPS devices, calculators, or smart phones, all of which are helpful to maintain.
    Training and supervision are minimal.
    They ask you to sign a one-year non-compete so that you can not work in test-prep for one year after leaving the company. It is not a full-time job, and you cannot pick up hours from another company if you are not satisfied with the hours given.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, or they will leave. The only thing from stopping us is the non-compete, which means we're getting bitter. Improve the customer-service experience; the kids have certainly paid for a first-class experience, and they're not getting it.

"QA Lead"

Current Employee - QA Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - QA Lead in New York, NY

Pros

Provides a very flexible work schedule.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive with industry

8. "Instructor"

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep part-time

Pros

There isn't much supervision. I didn't have to work in an office. Some of the students wer nice and appreciative of my effort.

Cons

Terrible pay. Locations for teaching are poorly stocked with supplies: once there was no white board and no black board. Insufficient hours. I was lied to directly about my salary during the hiring process. While I was employed, they reduced the compensation and increased the work load for everyone in my title. This would have been difficult, but understandable. However, they tried to tell us that this was ultimately a benefit to us. It was some of the most deceptive, unethical behavior I've ever witnessed, professionally or otherwise.

Advice to Management

I'm at a loss. It's a poorly run company that delivers dubious value to it's students and treated me poorly. My self-image took a huge hit from working there. I have no constructive advice, given the culture and profit model I saw.

"DAT/OAT Instructor"

Current Employee - DAT/OAT Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - DAT/OAT Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work and many ancillary opportunities for work within the company. Often offer to cross train into other subject matter, which helps to broaden portfolio and jobs you're eligible for.

Cons

Constant changing of Faculty Managers. Hard for instructors to use faculty managers as reliable references for performance over time, because managers are changed so often.

Advice to Management

Create a better system to track individual contributions to Kaplan Test Prep as a whole, and reward long-standing employees.

10. "Smart people"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Good people throughout, strong desire to do good, help others, and many product team members are able to identify with customer/client needs having been there recently themselves

Cons

Lack of vision, upper level management does not have or seem to want the same connection to the student experience.

Advice to Management

Customer need is first, before grand visions.