Kaplan University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Betty Vandenbosch

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has no idea of what is going on beneath their noses (in 17 reviews)

• Too much uncertainty in job security (in 13 reviews)

"Great Company to Work for Depending on Where You Get In..."

Current Employee - Temporary Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Temporary Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The Fort Lauderdale location has a cafateria with reasonable pricing!
    The Facility is very nice with 2 very large parking garages and plenty of security
    Fellow Employees generally have a good attitude and are 'youthful' and light hearted, but respectful.
    Lots of room for advancement. Kaplan promotes from within and they actually mean it! Once you've been with the company as a permanent employee for 6months, you're free to apply to other divisions with the approval of your manager.

If you get in through a temp agency, you have the ability to work directly under Directors and upper management. I was assigned to work at Kaplan for a 2 week assignment and it's turned into several months. If you dress appropriately, work very hard and carry yourself well, they'll take interest in you and keep you on for much longer. They've already mentioned about bringing me on permanently and it's only been a few months! But not everyone is hired on this way.So be warned!

Cons

It's a business. No matter if you're running a Business, a Church, or a non-profit company, MONEY is going to eventually come up. Kaplan is focused around it, as they should since they're growing exponentially. If you get into this company as a Admissions Advisor, be ready to WORK! It's typically an out-bound call type job, but they're usually warm leads--meaning these people have requested more information and it's your job to screen them and try to sell the school to the prospective student should they be made of 'the right stuff'. It can be very frustrating because there are a lot of lazy students that just want a degree. There's a lot of scum bags who'll never call you back, or give you the run around. You're held responsible for meeting numbers of calls, interviews, emails, and enrollments.

Advice to Management

To the Admissions Management: Turn over is the way it is because of the amount of stress you put on the Admissions Advisors. Please consider turning down the heat and fostering an environment that people will want to stay in!

2. "Kaplan"

Current Employee - Program Director in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Fresno, CA

Pros

The corporation takes care of their employees. If you have a concern, you can approach management at anytime and if your request is reasonable, most of the time you will be accommodated.

Cons

Policy. I came from a law enforcement background where policy was the standard. Not to say that their is no policy, it is just not readily accessible like law enforcement.

Advice to Management

Have policies and procedures available for employees so that management is not overwhelmed with questions or guidance from employees. If policy was readily accessible, employees could answer their own questions by referring to it.

3. "Working for Kaplan in a wonderful experience"

Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

Pros

Kaplan is a wonderful company to work for. Kaplan uses the latest innovative technology, has a diverse population and professional development opportunities.

Cons

Kaplan should focus more on promoting from within and be more open to at least speaking with employees who are interested in advancing in other departments.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of great talent at Kaplan, focus more on promoting from within.

5. "Excellent place for smart, hard working people to work, especially in South FL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Feels great to work for a University who serves adults who need the education we provide.

Cons

Long hours are necessary at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee suggestions!

"Very employee friendly a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Can work remotely
    Competitive pay
    Gift of knowledge benefit (free education for employees)
    great work life balance
    solid company
    medical benefits available immediately
    very professional

Cons

Gift matching program for charitable donations does not take effect as soon as you are hired as an employee (like benefits)

Advice to Management

All impressed with leadership at Kaplan, would like to see more volunteer opportunities to give back to the community (ie. Kaplan endurance teams raising money for Cancer etc...)

7. "They are very helpful in making you secede in the field of you studies."

Current Employee - Library/Tutor in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Library/Tutor in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We can work around our schedule for school and be able to help ones that are in need of help .

Cons

I really have not found anything bad about it here as when a person has a problem they are right there to help get it resolved.

Advice to Management

We are having some problems in printing out our digital ebook as they cut off the right side on to book as it is being printed

8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and they work hard to promote employee engamgement and recognition.

Cons

No different than any other company in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to be better and never get complacent.

9. "I had great co workers who really wanted to help students. Our benefits package was great and free tuition"

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

The benefits, the locations, and the employees

Cons

None, that I can think of today.

Advice to Management

NA

10. "Best Company I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Admissions Associate in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Associate in Plantation, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kaplan University is very professional and corporate environment, yet very comfortable to work as an employee and fun. They care about their employees. Although not a lot of incentives, there is enough to make you want to stay. Their health benefits are great as well, good working hours and wonderful staff including management. Best place I have ever worked in the USA.

Cons

Like any other job, the sales aspect of it, if you are not meeting your goals, then you will eventually lose your job.

11. "Kaplan is a great place to work."

I have been working at Kaplan University (More than a year)

Pros

Kaplan offers great flexibility in your schedule as it has remote positions available. The pay there is very competitive. They really seem to care about their employees as well as their students.

Cons

The only challenge I would say that I have had with my experience with Kaplan is their orientation needs to be a little more focused. It seemed extremely lengthy and didn't really give a new instructor a good idea as to what they were looking for the instructor to do within the classroom.