Kaplan "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaplan Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Jul 26, 2019

3.4
Kaplan CEO Andrew S. Rosen (no image)
Andrew S. Rosen
Pros
Cons
  • "If you're considering working for this company, don't sign a non-compete for part-time work(in 21 reviews)

• "Poor upper management and lack of resources(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Summer Fun at Whittier College"

Former Contractor - Summer ESL Instructor in Whittier, CA

I worked at Kaplan for less than a year

Pros

You get manageable classes, great support, and terrific students. I liked the fact that they gave us a reasonable amount of freedom to choose what to teach while still laying out the scope of our lessons- they give enough materials for each week that you can pick what fits your students level and interests.

Cons

Although I loved it, I would have liked to be 'more involved' with the students while there- doing more than just sitting in the classroom with them. I'm sure not every teacher felt this way but I think it gives a better understanding both of the students and situation if teachers have not just class time with them. They were a great bunch of kids that were only here for a short time but half of them stayed in the... dorms and the other half were home-stay, so it takes up time to find out what they are doing in their free time everyday to help them practice conversational English. Also I would have liked a little more interaction between the different groups of students- there is only so much you can do during a class to get them to practice their English with people other than myself. Also since it's mainly just part time for summer- there are no benefits or long term positions- which really is sad. I taught ESL in China for 12 years and had wanted to continue when I returned to the US, but while summer classes were fairly regular- but when they asked me to continue during the normal courses they were unable to give me enough consistent hours to support myself. So other than a 'side' job there is no real future for it.

Advice to Management

Try to mix the students a little better outside of class so they don't group up and speak their native languages, get the teachers more involved in outside activities so that they get a chance to communicate in an unstructured way, and try to stay away from 'book' material during the summer lessons. Reading if a good way to learn- but during the summer program your goal isn't to teach- it's to inspire curiosity and... motivate students to love language. A program such as this should be student centered more than teacher centered.

Kaplan2016-11-21

"Re-Organizing"

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor

I have been working at Kaplan part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The students are awesome. I feel useful.

Cons

The company is shifting from in-person classes to online classes. It makes sense to offer both, but they think 100% of their customers will eventually move online. There is already a group of online teachers, so in-person teachers are seeing our work hours cut. In August, a major re-shuffling of the managers will take place. My manager will move to a different team, and I will get a new manager. Many of our beloved... managers will be fired. If you're considering working for this company, don't sign a non-compete for part-time work! I am not getting enough hours, and I have no recourse.

Kaplan2019-07-26

"Not the best experience for part time staff."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Westwood, CA

I worked at Kaplan part-time for less than a year

Pros

- classrooms are well-equipped - most students are pleasant - curriculum is pretty straight-forward, but some books have errors

Cons

- part time staff are treated like guests - no benefits for a year (this is a billion dollar company) - administrative staff aren't supportive - don't expect to be taken serious if you're a POC - HR is a joke - nepotism seems to be the norm ...basically you'd be better off getting a teaching job overseas.

Advice to Management

While mobility is possible, job security isn't. Nobody wants a promotion if they think they're going to get laid off in a year or so.

Kaplan2018-08-21

"Pretty Neat Job"

Current Employee - ACT/SAT Tutor and Teacher

I have been working at Kaplan part-time for more than a year

Pros

I work as a part time tutor/teacher and the position is flexible: you pick which job offers you want to take. Pay is decent for a part time job.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't any students or classes available.

Kaplan2017-10-25
  5. "Overall, a Good Part Time Job"

I worked at Kaplan part-time

Pros

I was a part time SAT instructor -High quality curriculum provided -Lots of support from faculty manager, mentor, and veteran teachers -Good pay (started at $20/hr) -Opportunities to move up within the company -Free test prep class! -Flexible times -They will pay you more if your travel is excessive

Cons

-Hard to get a raise -Evaluated on teacher excellence rate only. Students rate teachers either poor, fair, good, or excellent, but the only positive rating is excellent. A teacher with 10 good ratings will be rated the same as a teacher with 10 poor ratings. -You rarely see your co-workers in person (could be a pro or a con depending on preference), just on video chat.

Advice to Management

Organize more in person meet-ups for teachers to hang out, share tips, etc.

Kaplan2017-07-01
  6. "A place is a product of its people"

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

- Great flexibility - Possibility of working remotely - competitive wages

Cons

- some of the people in this organization are wasps - the company will try to keep people on part time or on contract to avoid paying full benefits

Kaplan2016-10-10
  7. "KIC Teacher"

I worked at Kaplan part-time

Pros

They offer great flexibility and the international students are for the most part great. The class sizes are small and management. The academic management team is great.

Cons

Comparatively they offer a low starting salary and takes forever to get pay increases. There are often only a small number of hours available and a full time gig is virtually impossible for teaching. Finally, the part time benefits are not good.

Advice to Management

Try to offer more full time teaching positions as no one can survive working just a few hours per day. Moreover, the benefits package for part timers is non-existent and needs revision.

Kaplan2016-10-08
  8. "Decent wages, too many antiquated online systems"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Great pay for a part time job. You have the option to choose which classes and tutoring students to take.

Cons

Sometimes classes are canceled last minute due to low enrollment. The online portals are super confusing and you will waste a lot of time trying to use them.

Advice to Management

Put together one good system for part time faculty to use.

Kaplan2016-07-21

"LSAT Instructor"

Current Employee - LSAT Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a very flexible work schedule. The managers usually give prompt responses. Not a lot of stress once you get familiar with the course you are teaching

Cons

not enough support for instructors-either training or as an instructor. Not consistent work if you only teach 1 subject and are part time.

Advice to Management

Need to have a more thorough training program and give instructors access to students' smart reports so we can give advice in accordance with smart reports.

Kaplan2016-03-01
  10. "Has potential"

Vocational Nursing Instructor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kaplan for more than a year

Pros

Diverse working environments . Co workers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Poor fitting management. Poor management communication. Client, instructor relations are difficult. Company prefers to keep staff part time to avoid paying benefits. Budget is balanced on the backs of instructors. Work often will overcome personal time frequwntly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your instructors. Take the instructor recommendations into consideration, Students are just that, students. Their opinions and comments should be considered but not taken at face value. The budget should not be balanced on the backs of instructors.

Kaplan2015-09-12