Kaplan "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaplan Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 21, 2017

3.4
Kaplan Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Andrew S. Rosen (no image)
Andrew S. Rosen
Pros
Cons
  • "If you're considering working for this company, don't sign a non-compete for part-time work(in 21 reviews)

• "Poor upper management and lack of resources(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to start career"

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Your team is like your family. Very flexible with time and vacation. A Great place to work.

Cons

Little upward mobility. Upper management often unresponsive.

Kaplan2015-09-03

"Toxic behavior from upper management led me to quit"

Former Employee - Digital Content Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Talented coworkers who deserve a healthier environment.

Cons

I worked on the Habitat team for half a year and had experienced enough toxic and manipulative behavior from upper management to force me to quit. When I applied for the job, I was lied to about the position to begin with; what was posed to me as a programming position was actually glorified tech support. What turned my experience at Kaplan into an absolute nightmare was when upper management started getting more... involved with the Habitat team despite the fact that they did not understand the nature of the work we did. It led to micro-managing the team and forcing us to do preferential work for their upper management “friends” rather than our responsibilities to the production side of the business. Additionally, upper management would pull us aside to attack our character — not even our performance. I was called “helpless”, “not respectable”, “unprofessional”, "immature", "weak", and had my personality and work ethic attacked without constructive criticism or even an example of I was behaving so. Oddly enough, the people that I worked with regularly (not upper management) had nothing but positive feedback for our team and the work we did for different aspects of the business. The fact that upper management, including the president of Kaplan Publishing, would take the time to personally attack our character, and then act like we were buddies in public, was enough to make me quit. It felt manipulative to have the boss openly degrade me without proof or even an example of how I was supposedly “unprofessional” or “not respectable”. I wouldn’t recommend working at this toxic workplace.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, don't attack their character if it isn't affecting their work

Kaplan2017-12-21

"Lead"

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Great people and work environment

Cons

Poor upper management and lack of resources

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Kaplan2017-10-17
  4. "Decent to work for but major operational pitfalls"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most people really care about you and what they do. Everyone believes in changing lives of our students. support work-life balance

Cons

Upper management is slow to help fix things.They expect you to use a workaround until you're screaming in frustration. They push Lean principles yet all the workaround expectations are contrary to this.

Advice to Management

Don't allow things to fall apart so much before you decide to fix it.

Kaplan2016-11-04
  5. "Admissions"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Great people in my department, most very well educated and tenured. Good benefits and educational opportunities. Flexible hours and opportunity to work remotely.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with the students. We spend money on wasted ad campaigns and "automation" and this has left less time for student support. In the last year, executive decisions have turned Kaplan from a "great place" to a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Quality is more important than quantity. Stop punishing valued employees, and rewarding lazy ones. One great employee, better compensated, would be far better than 3 bad ones.

Kaplan2015-08-02
  6. "Nice environment, little to no room to advance"

Career Services Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Loved my coworkers, enjoyed working with students. Also enjoyed a lot of autonomy - as long as you are hitting goals, you are empowered to work in whatever way makes most sense for you.

Cons

Kaplan doesn't promote from within - in fact during my tenure they had a formalized "director development program" seeking candidates externally to prep and situation into director level roles. Very discouraging - additionally, regional and upper management seems to have a genuine disdain for employees working at the ground campus level.

Advice to Management

Lip service about employee engagement won't engage anybody - you need to actually value your employees rather than making them "feel valued" through half thought out programs.

Kaplan2015-01-27

"Profit-Driven Company, Contrary to Mission Statement"

Former Employee - Academic Manager

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The teachers and staff at every center are incredibly hard-working. They are passionate about their students' success and give tirelessly of themselves. The environment is fun for students and staff alike, and there's a lot of emphasis on the "whole experience" - education, housing, and social life. Some truly amazing educational growth is fostered at Kaplan.

Cons

The company pushes the local centers to achieve almost unattainable goals with regard to profit and efficiency. The teachers are slapped on the wrist if they spend too much time preparing for classes, when the company doesn't provide complete curricula in many cases. The administrative staff are responsible for much more than 40 hours worth of work each week, but any deviation from target goals brings down a... hailstorm of corporate anger. For example: if we run a class larger than 15, we get in trouble because that's greater than our class size maximum, but if we divide a class of 16 into 2 classes of 8, we get punished because we're paying too many teachers. The messaging from upper management to center management is that we should execute constant change in order to watch the bottom line, but this proves disruptive and confusing and can result in student dissatisfaction...which we're later punished for.

Advice to Management

Please come to the centers and watch what we do - don't make us have meetings with you during our regular (incredibly busy workday), just WATCH us. See how hard we work. See how happy our students are. And then let us hire some support so that we can all go home at a reasonable hour.

Kaplan2013-09-10

"The worst longest year of my life!"

Former Employee - Instructor in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a few great students that went on to graduate and have great jobs. I met one or two wonderful instructors. I enjoyed teaching some of the subjects. The Medical Office Assistant Program itself was Awesome!!!

Cons

The admissions reps would let a lot of students who shouldn't have been enrolled get in. The hours were horrible. Never could get my benefits going. A big turnover among instructors. The instructors were treated like crap and took the brunt of why a student failed. Often we had to pass a student that didn't deserve to pass. We had to take crap from the students. Rules changed constantly and not always for... the good. Some of directors would humiliate the instructors in front of the students. Upper management was just downright mean. The class hours did not allow time for a lunch or supper break. The instructors weren't allowed to go to the bathroom when needed to. We had to share the restrooms with the students.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your Instructors like crap and treat them with dignity.

Kaplan2013-08-16

"I worked for SCORE! Educational Centers which was a subsidiary of Kaplan at the time, then was bought by Kaplan."

Former Employee - Center Director in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career growth opportunity, solid public company, backed by Washington Post.

Cons

Long hours with low pay compared with similar jobs in the market. On the sales side, sometimes emphasized numbers without acknowledging the vision and mission of the organization. Priorities were constantly changing by upper management, and as a result many of the employees began to distrust HQ management.

Advice to Management

Invest more in people, engagement, and community/volunteer issues. Focus on improving employee satisfaction and retention.

Kaplan2013-05-06
  10. "Unethical leadership has taken this company in the ground."

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Good pay. Nice cafe. Lots of nice people in the company.

Cons

Upper management is a joke. There is no solution for the mess the "C" levels have created. Even when they had a chance to set the industry standard after the govt investigation, they ignored the opportunity and atarted the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Step down and retire. Don't ruin another company.

Kaplan2013-02-02