Kaplan "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaplan Reviews

Updated Dec 21, 2017

3.5
Kaplan Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Andrew S. Rosen (no image)
Andrew S. Rosen
  1. "Fine, but local management and upper management need to get on the same page"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than a year

Pros

laid back, good coworkers, good pay for the industry

Cons

upper management and local management are disconnected and expectations are different

Advice to Management

more training

Kaplan2012-10-08

"The worst place to work"

Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

They use the latest technologies, and follow the latest agile methodology. Part of Washington Post which is a well recognized company.

Cons

Very very incompetent upper management. Absolutely no team building, absolutely no information sharing, upper management will spend on personal perks while developers and non management employees were treated as second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Treat your non management employees as equals and provide clear communications as to what is going on with the company.

Kaplan2011-12-08

"A great place to get an education so you can find a decent job that actually pays you for your time"

Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

At my location, there is a strong sense of family and camraderie. Most departments reach out and help the other departments, especially in student services and education. Most of the staff seem to truly care about the students.

Cons

The pay is miserable. The only plus is the Gift of Knowledge program that allows an employee to obtain an education while working and most, if not all, tuition is paid for. The only problem with that is that an employee is expected to maintain at least a 32 hour work week while attending school 20 hours per week plus studying. Then it is near impossible to attend sufficient hours of work and clinical rotations (which can range from 30-40 hours per week) and still remain sane. My manager was willing to work with me, but upper management does not make any attempt to help the employee as a student. Overtime is strictly forbidden unless prior approval is obtained from upper management. Instructors are expected to teach split shifts, complete attendance (and babysit their students by calling them if they weren't there) and grade papers in 40 hours per week, which is impossible. My instructors work over 60 hours per week, but are told to "modify" their timesheets to reflect appropriate hours that were approved. I have, in the past, been advised to modify my timesheet because overtime is not allowed, even if you have the workload the requires it. Yet, they give all employees duties that aren't required of their position because they are so concerned about money that they are short staffed and not willing to hire extra help. Kaplan's motto is "Students first" but really it should be "Number first." The only thing that matters in this business is numbers. Everyone has a budget to meet. I understand that money is important in a for-profit business, but if the quality was provided and students were put first, the money would follow. Don't enroll sub-par students, allowing just about anyone who walks in to start school. Admissions pushes so many people in "right under the wire", usually the day of or the day after the start, then that student ends up dropping the second week of class. They boast about small class sizes, yet we are bursting at the seams with almost 25-40 students per class, and not enough room to keep that many students per class or enough instructors to teach that many students. Our student population has almost doubled in the past year, yet our faculty numbers have stayed the same. It's not because they don't advertise; they just don't pay. They are expecting people from the field to come in and teach young minds, and take a paycut, and lose their life and sanity. I am looking forward to the day I can quit, have a life, and maybe even get paid overtime when I work it and get paid appropriately for the work I do.

Advice to Management

Listen to your faculty, live up to your motto. Stop enrolling anything that breathes, and the money will come.

Kaplan2008-11-20
  4. "Employee Morale an Issue"

Senior Level Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Working with students, flexibility in schedule. Developing business and student relationships are a fun and exciting part of the job. Most of the co-workers are also great people to work for.

Cons

Compensation very low - management very stingy with it! There is way too much turnover in our lower and upper management positions. Starting over with a brand new marketer in such a large region is a pain and a waste of training. Raises are hard to come by and require a lot of work and stress to get! The bonus structure is also very poor. You have to wait an entire year AND be employed through March of the next year to get your bonus IF you qualify.

Advice to Management

Look at salaries and pay fairly. Eliminate turnover by providing a more realistic full-time and part-time staff budget for the centers to operate more efficiently.

Kaplan2008-09-18
  5. "Controlling"

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

The pay was good. Most of the management team was good at their positions

Cons

Upper management was aggressive and controlling.

Advice to Management

Lighten Up!

Kaplan2013-05-23
  6. "Over worked and unappreciated"

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Great coworkers. That's about it

Cons

Upper management doesn't know what they are doing. Changes were made on a weekly basis. No room to get use to a certain method that works.

Advice to Management

Listen to your advisor who are on the front line. They have a lot of ideas to make things easier for the students as well as themselves.

Kaplan2012-11-02

"Unaware and don't care about internal talent"

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Name brand in the education industry, brand opens doors. The company relies on it overly so and ignores innovation at their peril.

Cons

Upper management often makes knee-jerk decisions based on emotion and a swift need to "repair losses" in the short term. This leads to a backwards, cost restrictive way of thinking about growth in a marketplace that is growing through investment and technology, not the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Wall Street doesn't care about your short term earnings if they're being generated by events that reduce your future ability to earn returns for your shareholders.

Kaplan2011-12-19
  8. "Bad management ruins an otherwise excellent job"

Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

1. Excellent training 2. Flexibility 3. Rewarding job

Cons

1. Mid to upper management are incompetent 2. Ever increasing responsibilites make this a minimum wage job timewise 3. By always adding more and more requirements, managementforces employees to lie 4. What you read about Kaplan in the press is largely true

Advice to Management

By always adding job responsibilities and not raising pay you force most of your faculty to lie and cut corners. Your management apparently never learned the basicis of business practices. Kaplan is a great example of a good idea gone bad.

Kaplan2011-03-06