Karen Kane Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Karen Kane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company. Awesome director. Great perks like clothes and discounts. Great learning experience. All clothes are made on U.S. the company pays all their factory workers a really good wage.

Cons

I really have no cons. Other than maybe offering part time employees benefits. They may do that now. I really have no cons but this will not let me submit unless I 20 words so I am just trying to fill space. I absolutely love this company. If you get a chance to work for them go for it.

2. "A Pleasure to Work For"

I worked at Karen Kane full-time

Pros

Bi-coastal company, great hours, close family culture, company with strong ethics and morals in the fashion space, upper management always accessible.

Cons

No paid maternity leave, office gossip and politics were a little frustrating at times between the two coasts.

Advice to Management

More benefits for employees and maternity/family leave policies.

""receptionist""

Former Employee - Reception in Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - Reception in Vernon, CA

I worked at Karen Kane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is stable. Privately owned and with lots of great people to work with. They are extremely organized.

Cons

People have been working there for over 15 years. due to this the company is stagnant. Specifically in customer service the "women" are very aggressive they criticize incessantly new comers to the point of bullying. Work everywhere else except front office customer service.

Advice to Management

You need to be aware that customer service is a very negative and non-productive department.

"Retail Business Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Business Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Business Manager

I worked at Karen Kane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free clothes if you like a 'mature' look. American company. Mileage & meals paid for when traveling. Contests with gift cards awarded.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, no internet on tablets, pay for travel out of pocket & 30+ days to be reimbursed, no office time given & a gps tracking device on personal phone

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't tell employees 'this is not a work from home company' when that's exactly what you're doing. And by working, I mean watching employees on the gps monitor.

5. "Store Co Manager"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Karen Kane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Beautiful clothing.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about company.

6. "Very close-knit, warm company"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Karen Kane full-time

Pros

I have worked at Karen Kane for several years and have had a very positive experience at the company. It is small enough that you feel like you know everyone, but big enough that it doesn't feel too cliquey. There is a lot of opportunity for people that are positive and motivated to get ahead, but if you expect to get promoted automatically, this is probably not the right company for you. I love how independent I get to be in my position and how receptive the company is to new ideas (especially in the past couple of years, when newer people have come in to the company).

Cons

The company is not huge, so the opportunity to move up is limited. Certain departments are a bit more "old school" in their thought process, but overall the company has become much more progressive in recent years.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees' suggestions. It would be good to create more community-building programs to help departments meet each other more. Extend ice cream Fridays to all-year instead of summer only.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Karen Kane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

small, intimate company with great colleagues. very personal - you will get to know everyone

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement, smaller company may not be right for people who want a "corporate" atmosphere

"intern"

Pros

Amazing place to work! the staff is very friendly and really cares about its employees.

Cons

not much room for advancement.

9. "Inside Sales Representative/Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative/Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Karen Kane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a good relationship with my coworkers, the travel time is minimum, the hours, I like the relationships I have with my Account Executives, I like being helpful to the store owners and buyers.

Cons

The leadership isn't strong, It's hard to get a yes or no answer, Communication could be better, The training could have been better

Advice to Management

Set a better training schedule, Give direct answers to questions, Guide their employees and provide the proper tools.

"Long Time Employee"

Pros

This was a leading company and a leading brand at one time. They provided decent compensation and regular cost of living raises. (continued below...)

Cons

All this changed in the 2000's as the brand suffered at retail due to competition. It never changed back to what it was and many long time employees were let go after a number of layoffs due to lack of sales. The company is somewhat of a "cult" and if you don't fit in by being a yes person you won't make it. Small, private apparel companies like this are dinosaurs so in a way it's surprising they have remained in business at all.

Advice to Management

They only listen to themselves so leaving advice here is somewhat pointless, but I would say they need to have more appreciation for their internal salespeople.