Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that are always willing to help each other out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"Product Marketing"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, product portfolio, work-life balance, professional growth opportunities, ability to work outside your swim lanes and be creative and have a voice

Cons

Growing pains, 1 bathroom to 300 employee ratio (this is the building's fault), no 401K match

Advice to Management

Continue fostering internal employee growth within the organization, less focus on launching new platforms and getting what we have right...lets get "best of breed" mentality mind-set. Continue cross communications internally and externally (roadmap, feature releases, bug fixes). As a company, we are doing all the right things to head in this direction and I am confident we will succeed quarter over quarter with impressive new milestones we hit.

"Really great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people here are among the friendliest you will ever meet. The hiring team must've screened heavily for this quality because everyone is so darn nice and endearing. Secondly, everyone is incredibly skilled and knowledgeable in their area. I never have any doubts my co-workers will follow through on their jobs and do it well. The managers (at least in the Marketing department) have done a great job of balancing a relaxed, low-pressure environment while also encouraging everyone to do their best. There's always plenty of opportunities to try different projects and expand your skills. Each month feels a little different from the last.

Cons

I think the promotion and salary negotiation process is rather vague (maybe purposefully kept so), but I can understand that. It's really up to you to take that initiative. I really can't think of any other cons. I think upper management has taken a lot of steps in the past few months to address concerns listed in the previous reviews. A lot of these reviews may seem to imply that the executive team doesn't listen to employee feedback, but I really do get a sense that they're trying, especially in the past few months. But I can only speak for the Marketing department.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of tough feedback on this page, and perhaps it is fair. I just want to represent those in the company that still feel Kareo is a great place to work and to show appreciation for your efforts in trying to address your employee's concerns and incorporate our feedback. Keep doing more of that!

"Billing specialist"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competing pay for years of experience, great laid pay place to work, family oriented. Great welcome to new employees, great benefits and no need to wait months to be eligible. Your benefits begin the following month.

Cons

The only downside, management is friends with employees which leads to favoritism, management has unrealistic expectations from employees, they rather have quantity over quality. Too many accounts for amount of staff

Advice to Management

It would be great to focus on quality work over quantity. I rather work on 30 claims and know they are getting paid over stressed out having to work 60 claims and half done work. Supervisors should be equal and set rules across the board not different because employee is their friend. We work hard. We should be allowed to use our PTO anytime and many as well we please. Wether it's 30 min or one week. We earned it. Manager needs to be more compassionate and work on communication.

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks great events. Great schedule. Location was nice and convenient. Lots of work events that made it fun to work. Great benefits.

Cons

Management. Lack of management watch people leave for other job opportunities l, watched my favorite lead take another position elsewhere. Lack of training. Taking on new partnerships and expecting 1 day trainings or 2 hour trainings and expecting employees to be on top of it with little support. Lack of management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be your own company make your own impressions. Lead by example. Be a supporter not a finger pointer.

Hire and train people from within rather then going out and getting someone that has no experience in the industry.

6. "3 years and still going strong!"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am about to celebrate my 3 year anniversary with Kareo and I still think it is the best place I have ever worked. The people are amazing! I know it sounds trite, but it is true. I work with a group of people who have a passion for their work and want to do a great job every day. I am challenged on a regular basis and have enough time in between my day to day work to tackle some really cool projects.

Cons

The company is transitioning from being a hyper-growth start-up to a profitable stable company and that causes some angst. But, for the first time I feel like we are all pulling together toward the same goal.

"Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and also things to do.

Cons

Offshore vendor is always messing something up so we always have things to do. Management really doesn't listen to their frontline and make up policies without thinking about the people who actually have to do the job. A lot of politics.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old Kareo when your employees were happy to come into work.

"Everyone is pulling in the same direction"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is industry leading. The people take what they do very seriously, but don't take themselves as such. As my title says, it is refreshing to work for a company where everyone supports one another and is pulling in the same direction.

Cons

I have been in the workforce for 30 + years. As with any company (or thing), nothing is perfect. However, in the (almost) year I have been working here, I notice the concerted effort towards improving the process and the product. If you are hard working, supportive, and have a positive attitude, Kareo will recognize you.

Advice to Management

More expert training.

9. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - KMB Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - KMB Advisor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, supportive environment. When I joined Kareo, I had experience in RCM but wasn't sure I would be able to use that experience to meet the career goals I had set for myself. Many of the reviews mention the culture or the fun events but what really stood out to me is how they empowered their employees to improve. During my time at Kareo, I worked with Marketing to improve my LinkedIn profile, with HR to identify my strengths, review my resume, and discuss opportunities within the company, and with my manager on getting assigned to meaningful projects that would help me develop my skills. Kareo helped me take several steps forward in my career and I would happily recommend them to anyone who was thinking about applying there.

Cons

Need to get more feedback from employees before moving forward on a new initiative.

"Pride comes before the fall"

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made some lasting and durable friendships with some very talented and bright people. Learned a lot about what not to do and about the importance of staying true to the facts and staying true to customers.

Cons

Company consistently thinks it's smarter than its customers on all things, a direct reflection of the CEOs hubris and massive blind spots. As others have said, best industry talent is long gone, many of us simply refusing to continue to play JV ball in a business who's leader is unaccountable, self-serving, and vision/inspiration challenged. The board should look at the involuntary term numbers which tell a sad story. Of course, it's easy to blame the pace of change or "hyper" growth as the driver because doing so creates a convenient bucket to put issues in. The truth is a lot more inconvenient.

Advice to Management

A few things. Stop planting positive reviews or at least make them slightly less obvious. Stop putting down past employees, word is out on that behavior.

Lastly, to address the post that mentions angst. The only angst exhibited over the last few years has been the CEOs. Most of us knew exactly what to do but because he couldn't keep up he could never trust people enough to get out of the way. A threatened and fragile ego is a powerful emotion. It showed up in the inability to make tough decisions, the dismissal of or defensiveness with tough customer feedback, culminating in the consistent mass exodus of talent. Good people grew tired of the culture of inertia created by someone struggling so much with the privilege of leadership.

The evidence is plain as day for all to see. It's both sad and funny just how many ideas and strategies once ignored are being implemented. The problem is that too few may be left with the operational capability to execute. But hey, I'm sure there will be someone to blame, someone new to bad mouth. The measure of any leader is the ability to attract and retain talent, if he/she is really good that talent will exceed his/her own. Great leaders strive for this and seek it out, kareo's is threatened by it. Amateur hour.

"You are lower than Travis"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Give up, you were never going to be like Google

Cons

Hiring managers who knew NOTHING about the industry.

Advice to Management

You had industry knowledgable employees fired, now what? You don't listen. Your best talent was right in front of you. You had the newbie managers let your loyal and knowledgeable employees go. You're failing and so is Kareo. Those left are jumping ship. Yes, I'm talking to you Dan! Am I "getting to the point," now?!