Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Great culture and very bright teams (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people here are among the friendliest you will ever meet. The hiring team must've screened heavily for this quality because everyone is so darn nice and endearing. Secondly, everyone is incredibly skilled and knowledgeable in their area. I never have any doubts my co-workers will follow through on their jobs and do it well. The managers (at least in the Marketing department) have done a great job of balancing a relaxed, low-pressure environment while also encouraging everyone to do their best. There's always plenty of opportunities to try different projects and expand your skills. Each month feels a little different from the last.

Cons

I think the promotion and salary negotiation process is rather vague (maybe purposefully kept so), but I can understand that. It's really up to you to take that initiative. I really can't think of any other cons. I think upper management has taken a lot of steps in the past few months to address concerns listed in the previous reviews. A lot of these reviews may seem to imply that the executive team doesn't listen to employee feedback, but I really do get a sense that they're trying, especially in the past few months. But I can only speak for the Marketing department.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of tough feedback on this page, and perhaps it is fair. I just want to represent those in the company that still feel Kareo is a great place to work and to show appreciation for your efforts in trying to address your employee's concerns and incorporate our feedback. Keep doing more of that!

2. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and very bright teams.

Cons

Unrealistic goals and resources are allocated to underperforming areas.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core competencies and your customers

3. "Great company with competitive pay and excellent culture!"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Competitive base pay.
    -Excellent company culture. Very team oriented which is nice in a sales environment.
    -Great tools and resources for us to succeed.
    -Lead generation allows for a smooth sales process.
    -Involved management that really cares about us and our success.
    -Excellent training program.

Cons

-Have not found any yet!

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work and keep the culture great!

"Wasted Potential"

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very bright people working at Kareo, all of whom are drawn to the company to support its mission and promise. It is amazing to work with such talented people. Benefits and compensation are fair.

Cons

A shiny veneer masks deeply rooted issues. In spite of the talent, execution of corporate values falls short. Current environment is a fortress trying to survive after a succession of corporate layoffs and overspending. Many of the most knowledgeable and tenured employees spared in the layoffs have left out of utter frustration - largely due to the company focusing on the wrong issues. Software is becoming dated and uncompetitive. Service is generally poor due to resource limitations and complaints about substantive shortcomings in the software and/or service delivery. Many of the most committed and longest term customers have given up and are seeking out competitors. Transparency is illusory; engagement is low.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. Listen to your employees. Stand behind your employees by acknowledging their concerns and empower them to act to resolve customer issues. Command and control is not the answer. Ensure that accountability is correctly assessed without penalizing newer and current employees for the largess of the past regimes.

"Wonderful environment!"

Current Employee - AR Specialist in Ormond Beach, FL
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in Ormond Beach, FL

I have been working at Kareo (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, management, co-workers.

Cons

I can't see any at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! After working at another medical billing company in the area for years, I feel like I was let out of jail and sent to Tahiti.

"Medical Billing Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment. Good benefits medical, vision, dental, 401k(no match on 401k), life insurance.

Cons

Lack of communication from management to employees. Management not listening to their employees about issues arising with either internal personal or clients. Company turning from what seemed to be a family atmosphere to all about the money.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are the ones dealing with the day to day business making you money, so they might know a thing or two about what is happening and what isn't working and what could work better.

"Former emploee"

Former Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros. Using offshore vendor makes it all go wrong

Cons

They lay people off to makeup for all offshore 's mistakes. How can they No US Insurance

Advice to Management

Go back to software. You no nothing about billing. Providers are dumping you

"Product Marketing"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, product portfolio, work-life balance, professional growth opportunities, ability to work outside your swim lanes and be creative and have a voice

Cons

Growing pains, 1 bathroom to 300 employee ratio (this is the building's fault), no 401K match

Advice to Management

Continue fostering internal employee growth within the organization, less focus on launching new platforms and getting what we have right...lets get "best of breed" mentality mind-set. Continue cross communications internally and externally (roadmap, feature releases, bug fixes). As a company, we are doing all the right things to head in this direction and I am confident we will succeed quarter over quarter with impressive new milestones we hit.

"Billing specialist"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competing pay for years of experience, great laid pay place to work, family oriented. Great welcome to new employees, great benefits and no need to wait months to be eligible. Your benefits begin the following month.

Cons

The only downside, management is friends with employees which leads to favoritism, management has unrealistic expectations from employees, they rather have quantity over quality. Too many accounts for amount of staff

Advice to Management

It would be great to focus on quality work over quantity. I rather work on 30 claims and know they are getting paid over stressed out having to work 60 claims and half done work. Supervisors should be equal and set rules across the board not different because employee is their friend. We work hard. We should be allowed to use our PTO anytime and many as well we please. Wether it's 30 min or one week. We earned it. Manager needs to be more compassionate and work on communication.

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks great events. Great schedule. Location was nice and convenient. Lots of work events that made it fun to work. Great benefits.

Cons

Management. Lack of management watch people leave for other job opportunities l, watched my favorite lead take another position elsewhere. Lack of training. Taking on new partnerships and expecting 1 day trainings or 2 hour trainings and expecting employees to be on top of it with little support. Lack of management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be your own company make your own impressions. Lead by example. Be a supporter not a finger pointer.

Hire and train people from within rather then going out and getting someone that has no experience in the industry.