Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance and the flexibility to put family first which is very important to me" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, lots of empowerment, fast-paced growth and open to change things that perhaps aren't working as well" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Commute, a little complicated in Costa Rica office due to being located in tech support hub, but nothing that better planning can't resolve" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid company, solid people, solid culture!"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Robust product portfolio that is well established, mature and getting better each day. Like any growing company, we hit our road-bumps along the way but made the proper course corrections and are absolutely heading in the right people. Kareo's biggest asset are its employees. Hard working, intelligent, driven and like a family. We watch each other's backs and help one another grow. There are lots of opportunities for internal employees to grow here and move to different positions. Its highly encouraged to expand one's job experience in different cross functional groups and thats very refreshing as an employee. The corporate culture is something we all adhere too. Good work/life balance and the flexibility to put family first which is very important to me. It all comes down to accountability which is a trait fostered here. We have great perks like excellent gourmet coffee, video games, ping pong and tons of group and team activities both inside and outside work. Management is rock solid and a sense of purpose is first and foremost a core value and beacon we are all driven by. There is a reason why I have stayed here close to 4 years. I feel challenged everyday, work with amazing co-workers whom I consider some of my closest friends, have a management team that cares about me and my career path. And, I have a product and service I believe in that can make a difference in the healthcare space.

Cons

Not enough bathrooms (blame the building management for that one). We tend to lose people because the reality is there is a good job market out there. People have choices and sometimes leave for more money and growth potential which is normal. I will say this. We have many people who leave...and come back because they appreciate what they had here.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster professional growth opportunities within the ranks of your employees. Continue to keep your employees connected with the Macro and Micro factors driving the direction of Kareo (which you are) and continue to nurture and build on the he existing corporate culture you have which is respected and loved. A future 401K match would be ideal and go a long way too...

"Sales"

Pros

Revolutionizing Healthcare, Top Board and Managers who care and work to help their team grow, care about career pathway, eating market share everywhere

Cons

Keeping track of all my deals and sales, huge christmas gifts coming

Advice to Management

Keep listening and doing internal surveys

"db dude"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

paycheck : monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday

Cons

manager hired me so that she could take 2 weeks vacation (she probably could not take since she fired the previous db dude); had to figure everything myself ( i am a super-senior guy so for me it doesn't matter, just stating the management attitude); then they hired 3 guys to replace me and that was it; ah, forgot to mention, before i was fired she took vacation again; in general this was another miserable experience for me, but being a super-senior dude i am used to deal with companies like that--do nothing == go nowhere.period

Advice to Management

whatever dude

"Very stressful, very unrealistic, NOT enjoyable workplace!"

Former Employee - Customer Success Coach in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Coach in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a handful of very kind, genuine, honest people. Pay and benefits are decent. Location is good. Casual attire is very nice.

Cons

No official training or onboarding program for new employees. The random training attempts have changed maybe 3-4 times over the past year. Completely unrealistic expectations to understand entire Ambulatory Healthcare Industry and Private and Commercial Payers. The sales party culture is excessive and over the top.

The pay does not match the level of "required" expertise. The pay should be much higher. You must become a SME and if you do not know everything, prepared to get screamed at on a semi-regular basis from angry customers who have minimal business acumen. They will literally scream at you if you do not know 100% of their questions.

High Turnover

People gossip and act very unprofessional.

I was very stressed and overwhelmed while working there for a number of reasons, mainly because I was not properly trained for the role. They pressure you to sell, sell, sell but do not realize how complex and niche the software truly is, it not for every practice.

MICROMANGERS! They stated they would not micro-manage me during my first interview, but sadly that was not true. They heavily micro-manage their sales and onboarding teams.

They state you have unlimited PTO, but it is frowned upon if you take too many days off, so it's misleading.

Advice to Management

Be honest, be mindful of your expectations, actually listen to your employees when they are stressed or overwhelmed, be genuine, be transparent. STOP micro-managing your employees and watching their every move. Explain the role in it's entirety and do not be vague and general when explaining the necessary skills needed for the position. Stop allowing gossip to run wild. Stop playing favorites. Stop allowing clicks and groups to form and sit around to gossip and chit chat.

"Perfect for Me"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I just celebrated my four year anniversary with Kareo and I am just as satisfied with my job today as I was when I started. I rated it as 5 stars not because it is perfect, but because I don'want to work anywhere else. As I reflect over the past four years I have experienced so much. Initiatives that have been very successful and others that failed. But, as any celebrated entrepreneur would say, "You need the losses to get the win". - - and there have been many more wins. One of the wins at Kareo is the flexibility employees have to pursue opportunities outside of their team/department. If you are someone who is self motivated and patient there are so many opportunities at Kareo. Kareo will not the carve the path for you, but it will certainly help you navigate the road. Kareo is not perfect for everyone, but it is perfect for me.

Cons

Kareo is a "nice" company and we often struggle with accountability.

"Challenging, fun, and interesting work."

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional people and leadership. Great perks and benefits.

Cons

There are free bikes you can use during breaks.

"Fast growing & Focused with smart people and great culture"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast paced company that is well positioned in the healthcare industry.
    - The product is great and the company is focused on making huge leaps amongst its competitors.
    - The company culture is amazing and the employees are highly committed to Kareo. Cross-functional teamwork amazing and it's a fun place to work at.

Cons

- Kareo has lost some key leaders in the last past few months but that has not prevented the company from progressing and growing.
    - Since the company is growing and the healthcare industry is ever-changing, leadership sometimes finds its difficult to make key decisions.

Advice to Management

- Focus on motivating your employees and grooming them to be great at their work.
    - Have a better-defined model for employee performance and progression.

"Really have momentum right now"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

things are really clicking right now at Kareo. There is an energy across all functions that is exciting and intoxicating. Just had a major product launch that was the best I have seen. Really fun to work at Kareo right now.

Cons

Competition for talent is fierce right now, and Kareo has a LOT of talent. We've seen some good folks leave, but have also brought on some fresh faces.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Wonderful Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kareo is a place that cares for its employees in a way that was beyond anything that I had previously experienced. From monthly recognition's within sales, to team sport activities, to get-togethers outside of work because people genuinely liked each other, to let’s have a party today just because we appreciate you, whatever the reason Kareo cultivates a positive environment. One that made it a desirable place to be.

Cons

Constantly having to innovate and course correct in order to remain competitive in a growing market.

"Move On! They sweet talk but they are liars! No Growth! I wish there was 0 stars."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sweet talk you into anything! (Best pro I can find)

Cons

1. They lie during the interview!

2. They try to pay you less by promising future growth and bonus, from my discussion with employees there is rarely pay increase and forget about bonus.

3. Benefits are very bad! If you got a family, forget about this place.

4. Engineering leadership is terrible!

5. CEO is lucky to be where he is, so he is just going to prolong as much as he can. Doesn't care about hiring firing, done it 3 times with engineering before! As long as he can prolong his career!

6. Engineering leadership will listen to your ideas and dissolve them. No action taken.

7. Principle engineers and Lead engineers are just really in way over their head and extreme ego problems. They don't have growth ideas so they bring down your growth ideas/initiatives.

8. Engineering morale at its lowest because of engineering leadership, principles and leads.

9. The engineering leadership will huddle together and ignore the engineers and sweet talk engineers to follow them even when proved to be on the wrong path.

10. Extreme arrogance and logic is discarded and bias takes the lead.

11. Good resources leave constantly! Whoever leaves is much happier wherever they go!

Advice to Management

You need to be replaced! Engineering Heads, Principle Engineers, Lead Engineers and CEO!