Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"Product Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is crazy good.

Cons

No loyalty to employees when needed

Advice to Management

Revamp your HR department, start listening to your support reps, they are in the trenches, putting technical issues on the back burner because there is a work around and having customers wait for months to get the issue fixed is what is causing dissention in the ranks with customers and employees both. It's broke, fix it, the customer feels they do not matter!

"A/R revenue billing and collection, posting. Daily goal exception is 70-90 encounter not per line item ."

Former Employee - Account Manager II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kareo,Inc as a company has good benefits.

Cons

Management is very disorganized, no structure nor process in place.
    Inexperience, bossy managers constantly on your back to met daily quota. Their theory are not about quality work it's about quantity. Manager are not what they pretend to be in interviews. Frequent turn-over in employment.

Advice to Management

Set a structure, process in place for longer period of time then changing every few weeks. Replace your Inexperienced managers or supervisors with experienced people. SA/KMB office needs a medical office consultant company to organize the office.

"Wasted Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very bright people working at Kareo, all of whom are drawn to the company to support its mission and promise. It is amazing to work with such talented people. Benefits and compensation are fair.

Cons

A shiny veneer masks deeply rooted issues. In spite of the talent, execution of corporate values falls short. Current environment is a fortress trying to survive after a succession of corporate layoffs and overspending. Many of the most knowledgeable and tenured employees spared in the layoffs have left out of utter frustration - largely due to the company focusing on the wrong issues. Software is becoming dated and uncompetitive. Service is generally poor due to resource limitations and complaints about substantive shortcomings in the software and/or service delivery. Many of the most committed and longest term customers have given up and are seeking out competitors. Transparency is illusory; engagement is low.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. Listen to your employees. Stand behind your employees by acknowledging their concerns and empower them to act to resolve customer issues. Command and control is not the answer. Ensure that accountability is correctly assessed without penalizing newer and current employees for the largess of the past regimes.

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks great events. Great schedule. Location was nice and convenient. Lots of work events that made it fun to work. Great benefits.

Cons

Management. Lack of management watch people leave for other job opportunities l, watched my favorite lead take another position elsewhere. Lack of training. Taking on new partnerships and expecting 1 day trainings or 2 hour trainings and expecting employees to be on top of it with little support. Lack of management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be your own company make your own impressions. Lead by example. Be a supporter not a finger pointer.

Hire and train people from within rather then going out and getting someone that has no experience in the industry.

"Disappointing..."

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

* Some really great talent
    * Executive management improving in transparency of information

Cons

* lack of foresight with management decisions
    * soley focused on cost cutting to hit profitability; not product, employees, or customers...this is a dangerous path
    * Huge gap between leadership experience across the board
    * Morale is low due to all the layoffs in the past 12 months
    * Long term market success is questionable as competitors have by passed Kareo and it's once superior product

"If you like office politics, this is the place for you"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time

Pros

You'll work with smart engineers and learn a lot from them. You'll keep your skills current, everyone's always talking about new technologies. Snacks, coffee, soda available all the time. Nice office space with open collaborative environment (the openness might be a con to some).

Cons

Unless you are buddy-buddy with upper management, don't expect much growth. Direction shifts so much that you don't ever feel pride in what you do. Several times, it's been a race to meet arbitrary deadlines and at the end of it all, the projects get shelved and fall into a black hole. You know there are problems when engineers have left in waves within the span of six months. The turnover rate is ridiculous.

Kareo Response

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Kareo takes a tremendous amount of pride in helping team members manage their career development. Managers and the leadership team work 1:1 to... More

"The People are great. Growing pains in a competitive Job Market feel insulting as workforce gets gutted."

Pros

I love the people I work with. It's the only reason I'm still here.

Cons

Company is going through "growing pains". We can't run a quality Medical Software/Service company, have good culture, attract talent, and be profitable at the same time. At least not with so many bad bets that haven't paid off.

Many of us came here because of the people and the culture. But now company needs to become profitable so we can control our own destiny. Translation: Venture capital investment we scored is dried up, and investors are ready for a return. Understandable, except we've all been witness to several unsustainable moves made over the last few years, and are feeling the fall out of all of that more and more each day. Core workforce doesn't feel good about their work because of ineffective outsourcing across several departments. Those of us who are pros in our fields saw that a lot of these moves were short sighted as soon as they were implemented, making things even more insulting as we bear the burden.

Even if we win the short game, and we become IPO, and maybe even get bought out by another company, we still have underserved customers and several outsourced workforces that can't seem to get it together. In fact, if we play hot potato with a new investor, whatever vision this company had will be gutted further in the name of return on investment. So, unless you have a stake in an IPO, there's literally no reason to stay. Find some place else where you can do work that you still feel good about, instead of walking in and out of the office every day feeling like you and all your colleagues are 6 feet under water.

The solutions to all of the current problems are staring us in the face, we either don't have the guts, or the resources to do quality work any more. So we must fantasize about growing, and doing our customers right, while simultaneously reducing our staff to a skeleton crew. There are too many incompatible philosophies at play here.

Advice to Management

This isn't sustainable. Now that investment is drying up, employees with no stake feel like we're being treated to a massive bait and switch. Bets that haven't paid off are putting us in even a worse situation, so now we are barely able to provide quality service or products even if we want to. The job market is too good for those of us that haven't been laid off to not try to jump ship as soon as we can.

"I'd look elsewhere for a job"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is great.. Facility is amazing. Great Benefits.

Cons

Too much growth too fast. Not enough staff to handle all the accounts. Turnover rate is insane. Offshore Team causes 80% of the issues with the accounts. Pay is terrible for the amount of work given.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. There is a reason people are leaving at an alarming rate. Raise pay. The amount of work given to your staff and being paid so low makes people perform poorly.

"Waiting for the other shoe to drop..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare is a huge business and able to carve out a solid niche
    Overall, people are nice and easy to get along with
    Good place to learn about health tech
    Had some real smart people but most have or in the process of leaving
    Fancy office with covered parking

Cons

There's definitely an inner circle and outer circle you want to be in the inner circle
    Company is no longer in growth mode, at best it's sustaining mode, worst is in survival mode

If considering you should REALLY ask these hard questions before making a decision (you want to be an informed consumer):
    - What is the company's attrition rate? How many new hires, how many left in the last 6 months?
    - What's the burn rate of the company?
    - How are they addressing the burn rate?
    - Why haven't they been able to improve margins?
    - What happens if they fail to raise the next round? You can't forever raise, you're going to run out of alphabet letters! Ask them what round they are in and how many they think they'll need.
    - What's the primary reason people are leaving and what is the company doing to address those concerns?
    - Ask them their customer size and then ask them who their competitor is and what their customer base is (Kareo likes to think it's a Great Dane when in fact it's more like a Chihuahua that makes a lot of noise but no one takes them seriously)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially when they are leaving in droves.

"Had potential but rapidly fleeting..."

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

The people are the largest pros for Kareo. There are some very smart and fun employees.
    The working environment and tech stack is a plus.
    Free coffee and soda.
    Free once a week freshly juiced drinks from the yoga instructor.
    You can get behind the mission statement.

Cons

A lot of changes which isn't bad but how it is carried out is borderline horrendous at times. The general attitude is "if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else" (not a direct quote). Cliques tend to dominate, favorites tend to win and decisions are made at a whim with little clarity from the people on the ground.
    Everything revolves around some upcoming deadlines. We continue to turn a blind eye to problems... not going to rehash everything, just take a look at the other negative reviews. Are some people happy? Sure. Are a lot of people unhappy? YES. But more so than unhappy, we are confused and in the dark.

Advice to Management

What are the root causes of the problems we are having? Why are people leaving? What are the surveys saying? I had written this review before but finally decided to post it.
    I want it to change but I don't have the answers. The only advice I have is to give us some transparency and reach out to the employees who are making a difference. We don't want to lose them.