Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that are always willing to help each other out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"Wasted Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very bright people working at Kareo, all of whom are drawn to the company to support its mission and promise. It is amazing to work with such talented people. Benefits and compensation are fair.

Cons

A shiny veneer masks deeply rooted issues. In spite of the talent, execution of corporate values falls short. Current environment is a fortress trying to survive after a succession of corporate layoffs and overspending. Many of the most knowledgeable and tenured employees spared in the layoffs have left out of utter frustration - largely due to the company focusing on the wrong issues. Software is becoming dated and uncompetitive. Service is generally poor due to resource limitations and complaints about substantive shortcomings in the software and/or service delivery. Many of the most committed and longest term customers have given up and are seeking out competitors. Transparency is illusory; engagement is low.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. Listen to your employees. Stand behind your employees by acknowledging their concerns and empower them to act to resolve customer issues. Command and control is not the answer. Ensure that accountability is correctly assessed without penalizing newer and current employees for the largess of the past regimes.

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks great events. Great schedule. Location was nice and convenient. Lots of work events that made it fun to work. Great benefits.

Cons

Management. Lack of management watch people leave for other job opportunities l, watched my favorite lead take another position elsewhere. Lack of training. Taking on new partnerships and expecting 1 day trainings or 2 hour trainings and expecting employees to be on top of it with little support. Lack of management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be your own company make your own impressions. Lead by example. Be a supporter not a finger pointer.

Hire and train people from within rather then going out and getting someone that has no experience in the industry.

"If you like office politics, this is the place for you"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time

Pros

You'll work with smart engineers and learn a lot from them. You'll keep your skills current, everyone's always talking about new technologies. Snacks, coffee, soda available all the time. Nice office space with open collaborative environment (the openness might be a con to some).

Cons

Unless you are buddy-buddy with upper management, don't expect much growth. Direction shifts so much that you don't ever feel pride in what you do. Several times, it's been a race to meet arbitrary deadlines and at the end of it all, the projects get shelved and fall into a black hole. You know there are problems when engineers have left in waves within the span of six months. The turnover rate is ridiculous.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Kareo takes a tremendous amount of pride in helping team members manage their career development. Managers and the leadership team work 1:1 to ... More

"I'd look elsewhere for a job"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is great.. Facility is amazing. Great Benefits.

Cons

Too much growth too fast. Not enough staff to handle all the accounts. Turnover rate is insane. Offshore Team causes 80% of the issues with the accounts. Pay is terrible for the amount of work given.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. There is a reason people are leaving at an alarming rate. Raise pay. The amount of work given to your staff and being paid so low makes people perform poorly.

"Waiting for the other shoe to drop..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare is a huge business and able to carve out a solid niche
    Overall, people are nice and easy to get along with
    Good place to learn about health tech
    Had some real smart people but most have or in the process of leaving
    Fancy office with covered parking

Cons

There's definitely an inner circle and outer circle you want to be in the inner circle
    Company is no longer in growth mode, at best it's sustaining mode, worst is in survival mode

If considering you should REALLY ask these hard questions before making a decision (you want to be an informed consumer):
    - What is the company's attrition rate? How many new hires, how many left in the last 6 months?
    - What's the burn rate of the company?
    - How are they addressing the burn rate?
    - Why haven't they been able to improve margins?
    - What happens if they fail to raise the next round? You can't forever raise, you're going to run out of alphabet letters! Ask them what round they are in and how many they think they'll need.
    - What's the primary reason people are leaving and what is the company doing to address those concerns?
    - Ask them their customer size and then ask them who their competitor is and what their customer base is (Kareo likes to think it's a Great Dane when in fact it's more like a Chihuahua that makes a lot of noise but no one takes them seriously)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially when they are leaving in droves.

"Customer services"

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

Paid medical coverage starting on first day of training

Cons

Weird environment to work in. For instance during training they will ask you to demonstrate or share your skills and knowledge but only will count against you if you over share

Advice to Management

None, if they couldn't figure it out back then, it will never work

Mar 12, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your review here on Glassdoor. It might surprise you to learn that I read and respond to each review and ask a few questions as I read them: 1) Does the review include enough specifics to ... More

"Extremely stressful!!!"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best people I have ever worked with; smart, loyal, talented, who take pride in their work. Too BAD we all feel like we are failing.

Cons

The work load is ridiculous and it keeps getting worse by the day. The lack of follow up on the AR from our off shore team as well as all the mistakes is a huge problem. I feel sorry for these providers they have no clue how much money they are loosing because of it. We have voiced our concerns over and over to upper management but nothing is being done to fix the problem.
    Upper management has no billing experience which creates more problems. They have no idea what it takes to do our job therefore ignore our requests to bring in an in-house AR team. One who actually knows billing which is what we do, not a group of 3-4 people who will pish the tasks back to India where problem is. Its a vicious cycle, the problem starts and ends at the same place. I'm tired of coming up with excuses (lies) to cover up the lack of AR follow up, errors and delays on these accounts.

Advice to Management

Bring in more advisors, quality accounts and/or less accounts per advisor.
     Let our leads do the hiring, they know what it takes to do our job not upper management.
     Perhaps you need to start there; bring in someone who understands what we do and knows how to do our job.

Nov 28, 2015 – CEO

As I’ve shared in response to other recent reviews, I am personally committed to the plan we laid out in November during the “all hands” meeting hosted from the Las Vegas office. We sent a ... More

"Don't walk away RUN AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo (More than a year)

Pros

Great team members are found across the board in every department. Free drinks i guess....

Cons

Compensation is a joke. No structure in the HR department means that their is no structure to raises or bonuses or even training. If you take a job make sure your starting salary will be good for many years without adjustments. Many benefits and perks have disappeared as the company expanded. Expansion has really hurt morale and the overall structure of company with the sub-par individuals hired. Company direction has changed drastically multiple times within a year and cause lots of time loss and abandon projects.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on the employees and when the employees are taken care of the customer will be taken care of. Culture is nonexistent since key members have left. A few people have tried to take up the torch but fail in a pathetic attempt to inspire the masses. Cheap flair given to inspire employees are doing nothing but wasting money. Better option is to have quality company shirts and gear for purchase or for top performers. A dress code needs to be enforced, i hated going to work with people looking like they were going to the beach or the gym. Key parts of the software have been broken and are known throughout the company and nothing are being done about it. The bread and butter of the company is being pushed aside to focus on the shiny new toy that doesn't generate money or enough conversions.

Nov 28, 2015 – CEO

First of all, thanks for the review. As much as it’s hard to read about employees having a poor experience, it is helpful at the same time to understand the variety of perspectives that make up the ... More

"Success Coordinator"

Former Employee - Success Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Success Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Good working environment, company wants to make sure you are taken care of as far as comfort at your work area.

Cons

employees and management are not very nice to newcomers. Management and HR do not want to hear of your troubles within your job, such as the position you were forced to take after the restructure. No employee input as to what you would want to do, just this is where and what you are going to do, sign the paper you agree, or terminate your job. Too many accounts, not enough staff to fully do your best of your abilities. I did not take this job to be a call center phone operator.

Advice to Management

I would have stayed had I been given an opportunity to change positions as I had asked to do. Nothing became of my request. Providers called yelling at us and we had no direction, just had to listen to the ranting.

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

Hi and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that your experience at Kareo was not a positive one but perhaps I can learn and better the company as a result of ... More

"Customer success coordinator"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

The company has good benefits. It was a great place to work when I first started. A great employee orientation and basic training program. The majority of employees there are extremely nice hard working people.

Cons

The company has changed since I started and it seems like we're treading water just to make it thru the day. We are over worked and definitely under paid. A few people that are employed there believe that texting at their desks the majority of the day is productive.

Advice to Management

Stop looking the other way with these people that are taking advantage of you and the company! I think that since the hard working people there are making you look good give them some positive acknowledgement. Rethink the current company structure because it is going to destroy any integrity the company has.

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

First of all, thanks for sharing your feedback here. While I’d love for all of our reviews here on Glassdoor to be positive, I am also glad to learn where we can get better. Through the review of ... More