Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

1. "database guy"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo (Less than a year)

Pros

independent work. no micromanagement, if you know what are you doing you can set the sais up and go man/woman

Cons

none so far (two months in)

Advice to Management

even seasoned professionals need SOME advice/directons

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

Benefits and PTO, co-workers and perks.

Cons

CEO is out of touch and some executive team members are under qualified.

"Potential"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good technology in a hot Healthcare IT space. A great culture led by a CEO who cares strongly about it. Despite recent challenges, still a lot of opportunity ahead of it and for anyone wanting to make a difference in Healthcare IT. Just comes down to execution.

Cons

The normal challenges of any late stage startup in executing and getting past its next milestone, including some recent layoffs. For those who understand this cycle, this is a pretty normal part of the evolution. Again, just comes down to execution.

Advice to Management

Be quick to make the decisions (especially the tough ones), and don't settle for mediocre performance from any area of the business. The window won't be open forever.

"Company is going through some challenges."

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

Best place to learn. Smart People. Good Benefits and Perks.

Cons

company going through tough stage now. Will overcome challenges.

Advice to Management

Focus on high revenue and cut the cost.

"Fun doesn't mean easy . . ."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kareo is a fast paced environment that has a great people culture. There is no limit to the amount of employee fun Kareo has . . . from exercise challenges to food making competitions, we have fun! The employees work hard to play hard. Everyone is able to work together and move quickly to better the people, the culture and ultimately the company. Being a company that is the product of growing fast there is always a new request to drive things to a better place.

Cons

With the fast paced environment comes change, change and more change. Change seems to come faster than we can settle into the previous change. Although this type of change is tough, change is a moment of struggle for a future of opportunity. It keeps you on your toes and makes for an environment that there is never a dull moment.

Advice to Management

Continue to help employees understand the changes and the long term benefits while continually acknowledging the pain of change.

"If challenge, hard work, and learning motivates you..."

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great! But you'll see that in everyone else's review. There is a lot to do and a lot to learn. If you're motivated by challenge, willing to work hard, and want to be a part of taking a high-growth company to IPO-readiness, then this is for you. If you're not motivated by that, then this definitely isn't the place for you-- and you'll see that reflected in a few of the other reviews. I love the people I work with, and what makes me feel most connected to others is that we are all working hard, driven to accomplish big things, learning from each other, and learning to work better with each other.
    It's a casual environment and people still have fun. Yes, things have changed over the past two years, but let's be real-- we had to get to work to make the business independently sustainable. It's not unreasonable to be expected to work at work, right? It's disappointing to hear people whine about that. I've worked at several major employers in Orange County and it's still the best place I've worked. I'm experienced enough to appreciate what Kareo has to offer and understand that there aren't many other places in Orange County where I can get a similar experience and grow as a professional.

Cons

Admittedly, we grew too fast over the past 2+ years. Now, we have a lot of "debt" owed to building better infrastructure, defining/fixing processes, improving our technology, investing in employee development, etc. Senior management is not "blind" to these issues. There is just A LOT to do. We are taking baby steps in the right direction, but it's not going to change overnight. At best, it will take another 1-2 years to realize significant change. People will either see the opportunity to be a part of the solution or continue to complaint about what's not perfect. But no company is ever perfect.

Advice to Management

Finish re-defining the Mission, Vision, and Values and re-energize employees by getting us to excited about our purpose again. The company objectives makes sense and the transparency is appreciated, but communicate it in a way that means something to employees so they understand what they are working towards. The level of communication assumes most are sophisticated enough to make that connection. We're currently working towards major top-down initiatives and lot of good people have been onboard with that but the patience is wearing thin. Moving forward, get more bottom-up involvement in these types of decisions. It will go a long way.

7. "Fun and Challening Place to Work"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been more challenged in this job than any other I have had. It has pushed me to grow and learn new things, which has made me better at what I do. The team is great and collaborative.

Cons

While a company growing this fast has growing pains, the leadership takes fixing problems seriously and does their best to address issues as they come up.

"Great company; Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Support in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with great culture. Positive people, hard workers...

Cons

The only thing is that the company is growing very rapidly, and the number of clients rapidly continues to grow. Customer service provided is not the best because we cannot meet deadlines based on high volume of clients. We are constantly dealing with upset customers on a daily basis. Also every time there is a release to fix issues or roll out new features, there are more problems that the customer experiences.

Advice to Management

Slow-down. Focus on training personnel and making the software implementation process easier to understand for customers so that they can help themselves more than continually being upset that they are not getting the service they need for help.

Kareo Response

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here on Glassdoor. This is a great source for feedback on how we are doing as a company from team members like you. Your advice to management is... More

"Advisor"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is like family. They are every helpful and share knowledge. The company knows how to take care of its employees and is constantly giving us learning tools to stay educated.

Cons

The work load can be a bit much. Seems like they spread their employees a bit thin.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your mission and goals

Kareo Response

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

Hi and thanks for sharing your feedback here on Glassdoor. Glad to hear that your experience has been a positive one so far - I hope that continues! In terms of your comments on the workload, I... More

10. "Great Company!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I found Kareo to have a positive environment. The people are great and are really passionate about their work. It is busy - but you have to expect that from a growing company. The people who complained in other reviews about the walk to the garage and the lack of perks: I had to laugh - they haven't been out in the "real" world for long. I think its a generous company compared to most I've worked for and my experience was that they continuously try to bring great perks and show appreciation for the employees

Cons

Not a whole lot. My only disappointment was that there wasn't much movement internally with interviewing/hiring as I was looking for full time, permanent work.