Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Kareo is a fast paced environment that has a great people culture (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"Potential"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good technology in a hot Healthcare IT space. A great culture led by a CEO who cares strongly about it. Despite recent challenges, still a lot of opportunity ahead of it and for anyone wanting to make a difference in Healthcare IT. Just comes down to execution.

Cons

The normal challenges of any late stage startup in executing and getting past its next milestone, including some recent layoffs. For those who understand this cycle, this is a pretty normal part of the evolution. Again, just comes down to execution.

Advice to Management

Be quick to make the decisions (especially the tough ones), and don't settle for mediocre performance from any area of the business. The window won't be open forever.

"Fun doesn't mean easy . . ."

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kareo is a fast paced environment that has a great people culture. There is no limit to the amount of employee fun Kareo has . . . from exercise challenges to food making competitions, we have fun! The employees work hard to play hard. Everyone is able to work together and move quickly to better the people, the culture and ultimately the company. Being a company that is the product of growing fast there is always a new request to drive things to a better place.

Cons

With the fast paced environment comes change, change and more change. Change seems to come faster than we can settle into the previous change. Although this type of change is tough, change is a moment of struggle for a future of opportunity. It keeps you on your toes and makes for an environment that there is never a dull moment.

Advice to Management

Continue to help employees understand the changes and the long term benefits while continually acknowledging the pain of change.

"If challenge, hard work, and learning motivates you..."

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great! But you'll see that in everyone else's review. There is a lot to do and a lot to learn. If you're motivated by challenge, willing to work hard, and want to be a part of taking a high-growth company to IPO-readiness, then this is for you. If you're not motivated by that, then this definitely isn't the place for you-- and you'll see that reflected in a few of the other reviews. I love the people I work with, and what makes me feel most connected to others is that we are all working hard, driven to accomplish big things, learning from each other, and learning to work better with each other.
    It's a casual environment and people still have fun. Yes, things have changed over the past two years, but let's be real-- we had to get to work to make the business independently sustainable. It's not unreasonable to be expected to work at work, right? It's disappointing to hear people whine about that. I've worked at several major employers in Orange County and it's still the best place I've worked. I'm experienced enough to appreciate what Kareo has to offer and understand that there aren't many other places in Orange County where I can get a similar experience and grow as a professional.

Cons

Admittedly, we grew too fast over the past 2+ years. Now, we have a lot of "debt" owed to building better infrastructure, defining/fixing processes, improving our technology, investing in employee development, etc. Senior management is not "blind" to these issues. There is just A LOT to do. We are taking baby steps in the right direction, but it's not going to change overnight. At best, it will take another 1-2 years to realize significant change. People will either see the opportunity to be a part of the solution or continue to complaint about what's not perfect. But no company is ever perfect.

Advice to Management

Finish re-defining the Mission, Vision, and Values and re-energize employees by getting us to excited about our purpose again. The company objectives makes sense and the transparency is appreciated, but communicate it in a way that means something to employees so they understand what they are working towards. The level of communication assumes most are sophisticated enough to make that connection. We're currently working towards major top-down initiatives and lot of good people have been onboard with that but the patience is wearing thin. Moving forward, get more bottom-up involvement in these types of decisions. It will go a long way.

"Great company; Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Support in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with great culture. Positive people, hard workers...

Cons

The only thing is that the company is growing very rapidly, and the number of clients rapidly continues to grow. Customer service provided is not the best because we cannot meet deadlines based on high volume of clients. We are constantly dealing with upset customers on a daily basis. Also every time there is a release to fix issues or roll out new features, there are more problems that the customer experiences.

Advice to Management

Slow-down. Focus on training personnel and making the software implementation process easier to understand for customers so that they can help themselves more than continually being upset that they are not getting the service they need for help.

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here on Glassdoor. This is a great source for feedback on how we are doing as a company from team members like you. Your advice to management is ... More

"Advisor"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is like family. They are every helpful and share knowledge. The company knows how to take care of its employees and is constantly giving us learning tools to stay educated.

Cons

The work load can be a bit much. Seems like they spread their employees a bit thin.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your mission and goals

Sep 16, 2015 – CEO

Hi and thanks for sharing your feedback here on Glassdoor. Glad to hear that your experience has been a positive one so far - I hope that continues! In terms of your comments on the workload, I ... More

6. "Great Company!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I found Kareo to have a positive environment. The people are great and are really passionate about their work. It is busy - but you have to expect that from a growing company. The people who complained in other reviews about the walk to the garage and the lack of perks: I had to laugh - they haven't been out in the "real" world for long. I think its a generous company compared to most I've worked for and my experience was that they continuously try to bring great perks and show appreciation for the employees

Cons

Not a whole lot. My only disappointment was that there wasn't much movement internally with interviewing/hiring as I was looking for full time, permanent work.

7. "Outgoing, fun environment"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Human Resources is not easy to get a hold of.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful if Human Resources were more approachable and were easier to communicate with.

Feb 3, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about Kareo – it’s a big help! Glad you are enjoying your time here at Kareo – as a mission driven company we should be having fun and feeling good ... More

"Good overall -- keep pushing forward"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is moving forward well in a crowded and competitive space.
    Product development has a full pipeline and chips along at a good pace

Cons

Product can move in many different directions, which can be distracting to some people

Advice to Management

Keep your engineering and product resources well staffed. Don't hire heads down, follow-the-book engineers -- keep the staffing creative. Reorganize legacy quality processes and empower product development.

Dec 8, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. You are right to point out the dynamic nature of our roadmap. We are working to support a customer base (small medical practices) that perform their ... More

"Still one of the better software companies in OC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture
    Smart, driven people
    Fast pace (too fast for some)
    Cool office
    Progressive

Cons

Engineering and product get everything, while other departments operate on shoestring budgets
    Transparency is trending downward
    If you are a 40 hour a week type person, this place isn't for you
    Politics caused by lack of process and too many non-business types with far too much influence

Advice to Management

Don't listen to the overly hash reviews from under-performing employees with an axe to grind, Kareo is still one of the better places to work in OC
    Spend more money on departments outside of engineering and product
    Fix the lack of process and poor corporate communications

Dec 8, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback on your experience at Kareo. Your comments are really important and got me thinking about the “cons” you identified. Transparency is so important and while I try to offer that ... More

"Great Interview Process"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process at Kareo was very straightforward with lots of communication. The initial phone interview was both technical and culture base with the hiring manager. I was able to ask lots of questions during the in-person interview with the team.

Cons

No sure as I am still within my first month on the job.