Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Great culture, supportive environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really great work environment"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people here are among the friendliest you will ever meet. The hiring team must've screened heavily for this quality because everyone is so darn nice and endearing. Secondly, everyone is incredibly skilled and knowledgeable in their area. I never have any doubts my co-workers will follow through on their jobs and do it well. The managers (at least in the Marketing department) have done a great job of balancing a relaxed, low-pressure environment while also encouraging everyone to do their best. There's always plenty of opportunities to try different projects and expand your skills. Each month feels a little different from the last.

Cons

I think the promotion and salary negotiation process is rather vague (maybe purposefully kept so), but I can understand that. It's really up to you to take that initiative. I really can't think of any other cons. I think upper management has taken a lot of steps in the past few months to address concerns listed in the previous reviews. A lot of these reviews may seem to imply that the executive team doesn't listen to employee feedback, but I really do get a sense that they're trying, especially in the past few months. But I can only speak for the Marketing department.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of tough feedback on this page, and perhaps it is fair. I just want to represent those in the company that still feel Kareo is a great place to work and to show appreciation for your efforts in trying to address your employee's concerns and incorporate our feedback. Keep doing more of that!

2. "Inspiring, mission driven company"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kareo is a fantastic company and is on a mission to enable the success of small medical practices (i.e. your family doctor) by providing innovative software and services. It's very engaging to work for a company where a person's efforts and overall success has such a measurable impact and benefit. The culture is strong and positive and lived by and enjoyed by all employees. Leadership is excellent, teamwork is outstanding, and career growth is unlimited.

Cons

Very few, if any, cons. This is a dynamic, fast paced organization so people with high energy and the time to commit to the business will be most comfortable here. If you don't, you may not like it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We're all excited about your vision and the difference we can make as individuals and as a company.

3. "Nimble, fast growing company, focused on evolving their product and company culture"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are two core goals that the company rallies around:
    1) Focused on evolving an intuitive, affordable product, to support the changing needs of our customers
    2) Focused on creating and maintaining a positive company culture

Positive things that come to mind while striving to achieve these goals:
    -Working with a lot of very intelligent and fun associates
    -Given the opportunity to influence the outcome of many business essential projects
    -Fast paced, fun work environment
    -The opportunity to be part of an innovative solution during a rapid change in healthcare
    -Pay and benefits are competitive
    -Free caffeinated drinks!

Cons

The demands created by a fast paced, growing company may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the Kareo product and employees.

"Great people, noble vision, smart CEO"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch every wednesday, also free sodas and snacks all the time. There is a real emphasis on great culture here. Really good people work here. It's easy to sleep at night knowing you are helping to improve health care. Irvine is a great city for families.

Cons

Lots of growth right now.

"Get Ready to Learn"

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing really quickly, which means that anyone with a lot of initiative has tons of learning and career growth opportunities. Lots of smart people here who are ready to make their mark on the world.

Cons

Because it's a high growth company, it's not for everyone. If you don't have drive and the passion to change the world of healthcare for the better, you'll find yourself being outclassed by those who do. The only people I've seen who have left were people who probably would have been better suited putting in their 9-5 at a large bank or government job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company who appreciates it employees is hard to find anw Kareo really does. You have to work hard but if you want to play hard you can do that too. Great People to work with. Nice to like the people you work with since you spend most of your time with them.

Cons

Work Long Hours, Its a growing company, you have to be able to adapt to change. If you like the status quo this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your team you appreciate them

7. "Meaningful work in an industry where many problems are not yet solved"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture (positive, supportive, progressive, open, liberal)
    Work with uber smart, talented, and passionate co-workers
    Super cool progressive 50,000 sq. ft. office
    Strong compensation packages
    Equity in the company
    Stable "Start-up"
    Company paid lunches
    In office Yoga
    Lots of autonomy / no micromanagement
    Work for a company in which many of the top executives have helped companies achieve tremendous growth / strong and "in-touch" leadership
    Choice of MAC or PC

Cons

Fast pace isn't for everyone
    Occasional "pivoting"
    Typical growing pains you'd expect in a fast growing, product driven software company

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You guys are doing a great job!!

8. "Extremely talented people looking to disrupt healthcare tech"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded with brilliant people with strong tech backgrounds (Amazon, IGN, Blizzard) that look at healthcare tech from a fresh perspective. There is true concern for the customer and everyone is passionate about their work. Product team is empowered to take ownership and see new ideas through to the finish. I almost never hear "It can't/shouldn't be done", there is always encouragement to bring it to fruition.

Cons

Development team can get overworked when deadlines loom. Management pivots when presented with new data, which makes sense for the longevity of the product, but can be frustrating for engineers. Product needs to be better at understanding the weight on engineers' shoulders.

Advice to Management

Management can often burden employees with unnecessary estimates and documentation, when they really should be shielding them from it. These are teams of incredibly talented people and they should be trusted to get the job done.

9. "My new job in EHR land"

Current Employee - IT Security in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - IT Security in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company that is really team focused. Seems to be making some great hires with very talented employees. Big enough to have a mature product while at the same time still nimble enough for a engineer feel like they are making a difference in the product/company.

The office is very non-Orange County Corporate feeling. With most staff dressing very casually. Beanbags in the corners, Whiteboards everywhere, great selection of coffee/sodas in the break room, and yoga in the office after hours.

The different groups in the company all seem to get along and have no real barriers like a larger company or a financial company. Everyone is happy to talk to you in the halls or help you out when you need it.

The pay was comparable to a very large company I just left and they are still offering preIPO options at the time of writing this. With this quality of people working here I have a great feeling about where we are going to take those options.

Offers internal training on different topics to help you with subjects like Time Management, Finding and Being a Mentor, and product specific training.

Cons

Needs to play catch up with some industry procedures/controls.

Has had some turn over of senior in-house employees as they have hit growing spurts.

No SSO for almost all of the corporate applications (e.g. HR apps, voice mail)

No single source for Knowledge repository. Right now there seems to be groups using multiple tools to document different areas of knowledge (e.g. sharepoint, google docs, groupshares, Wiki). I believe in Documentation but keep it in a clean.

No performance bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us forward. You have a great team so far and let's keep making this great!

10. "Energetic, customer focused company that believes in their employees"

Current Employee - Market Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Market Advisor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic, highly-skilled individuals who are passionate about their work; believe in the product and want to create a customer successful product

Cons

Some minor growing pains because of expansion