Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that are always willing to help each other out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"If you love to work day and night Kareo is for you."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of caffeinated drinks because the company expects you to work long hours. Kareo does have great mixers every month.

Cons

If you live to work this job is for you. When you work for Kareo your family comes second to them. Work place life balance does not exist at Kareo. Kareo is very fast paced and management change their minds quit often on what problems they want to tackle.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and compensate them for all the hours they put in after a project is done.

"False promises and not what they make you believe."

Former Employee - Support in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Support in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The people at Kareo are the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. I have made friends for life.

Cons

If you aren't in Product Dev or Engineering than you're a nobody. Others have said the same in their reviews and it's the truth. There is a huge divide between the Support/RCM/OnBoarding teams versus those that "matter." Last year the ProductDev and Engineering people were given nice Bose headphones for Christmas...no one else was given anything. People in those departments are given raises and promotions but they are still unhappy and overworked. That doesn't happen elsewhere (the raises and promotions). The rest of the staff in the support roles aren't recognized or valued, just replaced by a subpar employee in Costa Rica since the company now only tries* outsourcing its staffing. Don't believe me about the favoritism, read the response back from the CEO on the June 6th GlassDoor review. If it wasn't true then why would he defend it when he hasn't defended any of the other negative reviews? He wouldn't want anyone to actually think he or any other executive favors certain employees over others, right?! Truth be told, I don't really think those that he "favors" really even favor him. Same goes for the vast majority of the executives with the exception of two: the VP of RCM and VP of Sales. They are the only two who are consistently nice, will smile at you, and try to interact with you. Otherwise, prepare to be ignored and not spoken too. Oh, and if you're caught behind "the doctor" or the CEO, they will not hold the door for you. They will literally let it slam in your face, regardless if you're male or female. Simple common courtesy, no?

Costa Rica...where to start with that? Well, they have poured lots of time and money into moving Support and Enrollments off shore to save money (money that would never been considered to be given back to Kareo's tenured employees who have NEVER been given raises!). The employees there all quit and they can't even keep them employed longer than a few months before they find better things than Kareo. They are only now after almost a year and half of not hiring here, hiring again because everyone is jumping ship to other departments or leaving all together. It speaks volumes when so many people leave all at once!

Anyone interested in a management role will certainly be hired from the outside because no one internally is groomed to move up. They almost exclusively hire from the outside. Many people in various roles have come from another company called Hire Right. If you have worked there you will for sure be hired! If you haven't, say you did and I'm sure they will still hire you! No need on thanking me for the tip, you're welcome! But seriously, they really only hire management from the outside and usually these people have absolutely no healthcare experience. They don't know the industry or the way things work but are left to manage a group of people and make decisions based off things they do not know. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Those in management roles, in large part, shouldn't be. They aren't experienced enough or educated with the industry to properly do their job and support their teams. Some haven't got a clue how the system operates but manage to get promoted to manage Support when all they really contribute is loud laughing and complaints about the product they support. Some leads really enjoy making their own coffee all day and walking around looking important and busy. That's easy to do when you delegate all your work and escalations to various reps to do it for you. There are RCM and Training (the team that just continues to "eliminate" positions) managers who openly speak poorly about their employees in the kitchen about their employees (can you say lawsuit?) and a person in charge who doesn't even know that certain team members don't know how to take calls (Costa Rica for the win, again!). I won't even start with the individual who hardly shows up because they are probably too hungover and forwards weeks old emails to other departments from the comfort of their home.

Kareo promises transparency. They are anything but. The only thing they value is the image they personify and ensuring they can beat out their competitors. They aren't open, they really don't care about their employees, and good luck ever advancing your career. They don't have any career growth opportunities and they don't invest in any of their employees. You'll never get a raise (I never got one in almost three years) and forget even having your titled spruced up (a fair request once you've accepted you'll never get a raise) even though you've always had incredible reviews each year. Rather, they take away monthly incentives and in some cases lower the commission structure for some teams.

There is no solid communication from the top to the bottom and more often than not the last ones to learn anything are those impacted the most. Executives make changes but never ensure the pions are notified. Doesn't the saying go "you're only as strong as your weakest link?" While on the topic of communication, be careful if you're the only one with expertise on a certain subject. Kareo doesn't feel it's important to train or share information between teams because they jump so fast from project to project. Therefore, there are often times 1-2 people who actually know anything about a particular subject. God forbid that one person isn't there...there isn't anyone else to ask because no one knows anything. It isn't because people "can't handle the pace" as many reviews state...it's simply because there isn't really any cross training done. And ask your manager, forget it!

Advice to Management

Take a look around and see what Kareo is becoming. There is a reason everyone is leaving and it probably starts at the top like most things do. Stop pointing fingers and acknowledge that the Titanic has hit the iceberg. The head of HR is gone, the EA is gone, the culture is nothing more than some soda in the fridge, and all the fun hard working employees are leaving to be appreciated elsewhere. People are miserable. One "reviewer" thinks people like me are lazy and nothing more than a whiner. Well this whiner sent emails to various department heads and very openly and quite candidly spoke up for how other employees felt. Nothing ever changed and that is the real reason for all the negative reviews. It's the only means in which we whiners can express how we feel without being swept under the rug. Last I checked, that was the point of these reviews...not to have fake ones created by HR.

Dec 8, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for taking what was clearly a substantial amount of time to share your feedback about Kareo and your experience as an employee. I am sorry to have lost you as I can tell this was an ... More

"Account Adviser"

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

My coworker's for the most part are awesome people. Some of the gals I work with are brilliant and have an awesome work-ethic. The company provides soft-drinks and coffee.

Cons

1) The hardest workers are worked to exhaustion. We have too much on our plates. I love to work hard, but when we have so much work, we are no longer capable of excelling.

2) Lack of integrity. We shouldn't say that we are transparent to our providers and customers, yet, keep things hidden. We are not honest about the way we do business. There are so many errors and issues that Kareo staff is encouraged to hide. How can we get better if we continue to pretend that there are no problems?

3) No room for growth. Jobs are stagnant. There was an organizational restructuring back in May 2015 - many people were just placed. People with little to no experience were put into positions that they were not trained for. Causing many to feel that they were set up for failure. Career paths are not established. Relevant training is not provided. People are just thrown into positions.

4) Awful atmosphere. Walking into the Las Vegas office is sad. You can literally feel the stress radiating off of people. Our providers/customers scream and yell at us and management just shrugs their shoulders. Our leads have not been empowered to make decisions. In the past month, we have had 2-3 people walk out or give notice every week. All departments are being effected by this. We see our coworkers breaking down in tears on a weekly basis. For many of us, Kareo is simply a paycheck. 90% of the staff (including management) are looking for other jobs.

5) Kareo is gaining a reputation in the medical billing community. I interviewed with a company on Friday, when they saw Kareo on my resume, I was asked if it was really as awful working here as everyone was saying. Kareo has become associated with a half way work product and I am embarrassed to put it on my resume.

Advice to Management

Either close the RCM department or overhaul it. The KMB staff are the "face" of Kareo to many of your customers. When your employees are unhappy and disgruntled your customers get a bad Kareo "experience."

Nov 28, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback and I hope that my visit and our announcements around our plans to support the team, the process and the application of new technology. We heard you and have acted quickly ... More

"Account Manager II; Customer Success Advisor"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office and great location. Close to the freeway. Unlimited coffee, tea, soda, and water. Each work station has dual monitors. Comfy chairs at your work station.

Cons

There is no integrity with management in the Las Vegas office. They will allow a client to submit fraudulent billings and do nothing about it. There is no communication with it's employees. You are either a "yes" person or they let you go. I had client that was sending fraudulent claims, I let upper management know & NOTHING was done. There was another client that was doing the same thing and the AM made management aware. She was told there was nothing they could do about it. The turn over within the KMB is very high and everyone is overloaded with work. Employees are stressed out and stretched to the max. Management is not concerned with how the employees below them are doing...I can say there is 1 person in management who cares...and she went from an AM to a lead to a manager. From my dealings, management is not afraid to lie or basically throw someone under the bus to cover themselves. This is within the Las Vegas office.

Advice to Management

Clean house with all management, directors, leads within the Las Vegas office. Add a compliance officer to oversee clients billings and services. Hire more staff so the accounts are worked efficiently. Go back to the BSR, AM structure. And stop outsourcing to "off shore" teams.

Nov 28, 2015 – CEO

Hi and thanks for taking the time to review Kareo here on Glassdoor. I really do appreciate all feedback here and take it seriously. I was able to visit the Las Vegas office in November and had some ... More

"What happened?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, in fact mostly amazing people,game room, yoga at the office, drinks snacks free.

Cons

The office went from amazing fun while getting work done. Now it just seems that most of the employees are clocking in just to clock out while looking for a new job. Some new management has come in that just have no people skills in multiple departments. the CEO for the longest time seemed blind to the fact so many people were leaving back to back. It got to where good bye emails were anywhere from 1-4 a week for the last few months. No competitive salary match for when someone would get a job offer else where.

only a few of the managers and directors really put in the extra effort to give guidance and mentor their team. The rest are busy saying yes to upper management and setting meeting after meeting accomplishing nothing.

Executive team has no clue, they need to check in with their teams. If you are a salaried employee well you will work a lot. That open PTO policy for salary workers, take a laptop, cell, and a hotspot with you, you will work on vacation.

Advice to Management

You have some amazing employees left not many but still have some. Keep them make them feel important like you use to. Clean out some of the newer leaders seems you would be able to see a flow. New leaders and people begin leaving in many departments. Seems pretty easy to figure out.
    Open your eyes see why they are leaving listen to their exit interviews, i bet you will find a common theme.

Jan 7, 2016 – CEO

Hi and thanks for taking the time to leave a review here on Glassdoor. First of all, I’m sorry you did not get the experience you expected during your entire time at Kareo. And while it does not feel ... More

"We're Exhausted... Shut down already"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great. Made tons of amazing friends here. Free beverages at your disposal. Most upper management is flexible with schedules.

Cons

Overtime not allowed. Too much work for the amount of pay received. Unreasonable expectations. Staff are dissatisfied with too many changes all at once. The amount of pay for the amount of work is not acceptable. There are certain requirements that have to be met and its outrageous for what they're asking in the amount of time given to complete it. Kareo's Irvine location lives in fairytale land and they think Vegas is supposed to accomplish all of these "requirements" overnight. The person that oversees the Vegas office is not even there, they live in a different state. Treated poorly by customers and thrown under the bus, no support system. Offshore is 85% of the problems here. They mess these accounts up severely but we get to suffer the consequences. Cancellations are at an all time high. Escalations are high. This is not a big company, they are small and they think they are competing but they aren't. They talk a big talk but they can't walk the walk.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. People are leaving for a reason. Customers are leaving for a reason. When is it going to get better... When is the pay going to change... When will someone wake up and get rid of offshore... When will all of our teams be in one location to operate more functionally... When are the expectations going to be more realistic... When will you put the proper people into management positions... When will people start taking up for the employees... When will we get rid of customers who are not fit for Kareo... When is someone going to stop allowing customers to abuse us... We can have meetings after meetings but if they're not effective then what's the point... Your staff is exhausted and overworked and under paid!

"Executives Care More About Money"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are tons of pros here but nothing has to do with the "work" side of it. People that work here are great, good coworkers banding together to want to do well, friends being made outside of work. The good thing is, we are all mostly on the same page as far as work goes and it isn't going well. Drink, free drinks, can't forget about those.

Cons

Upper management and the "executive" team in Irvine do not care about employees or customers. They care about making money. They do not focus on the issues at hand with the software. They care more about what vacation they're going to go on next. People are fired every week. Sad but true. This is how you know they care more about money. Cost reduction. Some managers that stand up to these executives are scared to come into work everyday because they're going to be fired too. If you don't agree with the CEO, there's no talking to him about it or giving your opinion, he won't listen. He thinks he knows what he's doing which is not true or we would be doing better. Our customers are not happy at all. Cancellations are at an all time high. It would be nice if we were honest with the customer, letting them know that 90% of their account will be worked by an offshore team in India. They are 90% of the reason the customer is unhappy. They hurt these accounts more than help them. Keep all accounts in the U.S. Another show of the CEO caring more about money than the customers. It's cheaper to get people in India than it is in the U.S. If this change was made, we'd have more happy customers and less stress on employees.

Advice to Management

No one is really going to be honest about how they really feel about Kareo because we all need our jobs. It's sad that after all of these reviews on here that say the same thing, nothing is changing except people losing their jobs weekly. No matter how much someone says to listen to the employees, it's not done.

CEO: Stop acting like you know everything about running an RCM company. Think about how much better it would be if you had some guidance or listened to your RCM employees more. Try our job for a few days, you wouldn't like it. You would also see that India is causing more problems in these accounts then they are helping them. Hire people in the U.S. It might be more money, but you would need less and our customers would be more happy. Less cancellations. Try to keep one change in place to make a difference before the next one. New procedures are not left alone long enough to make a difference. Give new hires the tools they need to succeed instead of setting them up to fail. It's hard to do your job when you have India that's helping you. Don't give someone 8-10 months to make a difference. We are cleaning up such a mess from Irvine and India that it's going to take years to undo the damage. Stop caring about how much money you're making and start focusing on the changes that need to be made and the software. There is no overnight fix, but if you're focusing in the right places, there will be an improvement.

"The real featured review"

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

Our customers. They are tirelessly forgiving of our mistakes. Kareo has many strong customer facing employees, struggling every single day to do what's best for the customer. They are the only reason the company still exists.

Cons

Be prepared to deal with shockingly low EQ in many circles, starting with the tip top. Perfect example highlighted as a feature review in Glassdoor. "People often glamorize...." - enough already, we didn't land on the moon. This is second time the company has been subjected to the same diatribe. Appearing humble while oversharing is basically self-promotion in disguise. It's pretty much why you never hear medal of honor winners talk about their achievements. The first time we heard the exact same story was in an all hands that appeared to have the sole purpose of further cementing what every single non-product or engineering person already knows; what we do doesn't count nearly as much. Now for the truth, in 3 years at Kareo I cannot tell you how many direct customer conversations I've had. Hundreds maybe thousands of them. I would bet I've had more direct customer feedback than all of the product team combined. Guess what? A huge majority all say the same thing, "looks good but doesn't do what I need it to". The main thing our new platform achieved was take resources away (basically neglect) features and functionality that customers actually care about. I guess investors think it's cool but I have news for the board: doctors don't care about cool. They are crazy, they like stuff that works. Here's the only personal story of effort and passion I'm interested in hearing, I would like to hear from the wife or husband of one of our tireless support reps dealing with frustrated customers. I want to hear what gets them up every morning put a smile on and get energized to try and help save customers for yet another day. That's heroism. Yes a platform is a huge effort and achievement to be proud of but what's even more praiseworthy are the hundreds of folks, everyday, dealing with the blowback and all the gaps that exists because it's not "cool" to work on fixing stuff.

Advice to Management

Every single executive team member and every single director MUST, as a requirement of their job, listen to support calls every week. How can we claim to be customer/market focused when the majority of our exec team has no clue how the market and customers we sell to operate and what our customers are really feeling? Dan - move to CTO because it's clear that's where your passions lie and that's really where we need you. The product needs all your attention. Bring in an operational CEO immediately so you can spend the time needed to see exactly what's really going on. No more Tiger teams or portfolio groups etc. etc. More layers? More special clubs? really? Same old structures that put us in a hole. Small groups of insiders making bad decisions. KMB anyone?

"Here we go again. Investors beware!"

Current Employee - Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kareo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not enough positive and faith anymore but I will try to give you a clear picture from my house.

For the most part Kareo has hard working employee's who strive to complete the heavy workload and fulfill the clients needs. We all are supportive of each other due to the fact we all experienced or currently experiencing much of the same treatment from some of the unhappy clients.

CEO throws a bone ($100) to all staff members, here and there to keep all happy, for now that is.

Free beverages like soda and coffee with paid lunches at times. (But much rather have consistent raises.)

There is room for growth but some of the Leads have proved to be unsuccessful. Being a friend and being a supervisor is not good mix. Some of the Leads do not stand up. They are afraid it seems. Are they lambs that follow the flock? Or do they pray like the rest of us that the next change will bring us out from defeat?

Cons

Over abundance of accounts that Kareo services and continues to take on new business, without significant staff on the whole A/R side to handle the heavy load.

With all this new business comes an over abundance of lay offs. If we are currently bogged down with clients/workload that we are not able to properly service, why would you cut back so many jobs rather than create more opportunity for the necessary support. One major lay off was that of Credentialing Department which had a couple of dozen or so of employee's were laid off due to Credentialing being moved to Texas office. How come you did not utilize these folks by creating more than just a handful of new positions to prepare, yet once again, for the restructuring that will begin soon. About a couple of weeks or so ago they laid off about 20 more employee's between 19 Irvine and 1 Las Vegas. Then a right hand man was let go, in Irvine due to not having the same vision of the CEO.

Some of us have come to the conclusion of what Kareo is trying to create. They want to show more revenue growth to their many investors or new investors. They need to get their numbers up so they become attractive. Getting rid of some of the higher salaries, moving Credentialing to Texas where the pay is less and leaving the India Team in place keeps expenses down and keeps money in the bank.

Flexibility for family and health was important to the owners of Ecco Health who sold to before we became Kareo. The owners cared about their employee's, it seemed to me allowing a flex schedule and working more hours in the morning and after work to make up the loss of time tending to personal life whether our family or ourselves. That has become a thing of the past. It seems that the newer management since June 2015 has gradually made major changes and care less about the employee's and more about gaining more business and representing a false image to current investors and any new ones.

It is sad for me to say that the India team, some of who I have grown to feel they are like my friend, as my local Team Mates do not have enough employee's to handle the workload. Each day I cringe at the amount of emails and phone calls that I receive from my providers who find the errors or work that is not being done. The uncomfortable part is the mistakes are always the same mistakes that are repeated over and over again. The Teams try to be helpful and apologetic. They are, my friends as much as the local employee's are my friends, but it pains me to say this but the Team in India have got to go. We were promised on and off that they were going to create an A/R Team in Las Vegas but it has never came to be.

Nobody in the managerial positions will admit that the Team is 90% of the problem. They do not want to hear it or is it that they do not want to admit it (out loud that is). As a matter of fact support being primarily in India is "never mentioned" during the sales process or mentioned ever. It is a SECRET. The only time it comes up is when a client has questioned the notes that they have seen in the RCM part of the Kareo system made by the Team. The way they communicate and words that they use are far different from the way we put our notes in.

So what does corporate come up with? New clients do not receive the RCM part. They do not know it even exists. The client's that had it? Well Kareo is trying to take that away from them so they able to review the daily work anymore. The new clients work on the EHR and they are no longer able to see what activity or no activity is in their account.

I do not know what more to say other than I was once so excited to work each day. I do not have faith anymore. It is getting worse and worse. It is out of our hands with only resolution is to seek other employments so that I can get back to doing what I do best and no longer consume my life withe the pitfalls that Kareo is enduring.

Advice to Management

It seems that the Irvine staff give rave reviews, for you Mr. CEO. Did you pay them? Or is it that they do not deal with the clients as we do. They do not experience the day in and day out of the stressful phone calls and abuse that we endure from some of the doctors and their staff. The providers who make the most noise and push the hardest get the most attention, leaving less time to tend to other offices who too pay the same to be serviced.

I whole heartily believe that Corporate staff should take the phone calls. CEO and his staff that speak so highly of Kareo come to Las Vegas for a week or two and sit one in each area, taking phone calls and reading the emails.

Not until you have walked in our shoes will you ever fathom the feeling of feeling helpless, as we do.

"Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo full-time

Pros

The primary reason that people have stayed at Kareo is the people. When I left, there were still a number of intelligent developers who knew what they were doing. It's a friendly development team that helps each other get things done.

Cons

Although there may be some smart people there, the managers, directors, VPs, and CEO don't actually listen to the developers. There's lots of problems that could have been avoided, and developers gave ample warning, but management typically chose not to listen.

This company is fond of arbitrary deadlines for no reason, because they feel "unrealistic deadlines are inspiring". Let's ask developers how long they think it takes, then cut that in half, and demand they do a bunch of overtime to hit the new arbitrary deadline. On top of that, requirements continuously change, scope creeps without bound, and the changes are all expected to be accommodated without changing the deadline.

Additionally, while the company offers an unlimited / open PTO plan, they make you feel guilty if you ever try to take time off. There's a number of people who wanted to take trips and plan things, but never did so because managers apply guilt as soon as you start talking about it.

It's a terrible place to work if you value work-life balance. Avoid them if you value a reasonable decision-making process. Stay away if you expect your manager to listen to you and take feedback, without punishing you for it.

The cons FAR out way the pro's, especially since most of the quality engineers have now fled for other companies where they appreciate their staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop setting arbitrary deadlines. Follow through on what you say you will. Stop making empty promises. Stop guilting people out of using their PTO.