Kareo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kareo Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that are always willing to help each other out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They hired upper management that has turned the company on its head (in 10 reviews)

• With any young company you will be hit with growing pains at one point (in 9 reviews)

"Wasted Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very bright people working at Kareo, all of whom are drawn to the company to support its mission and promise. It is amazing to work with such talented people. Benefits and compensation are fair.

Cons

A shiny veneer masks deeply rooted issues. In spite of the talent, execution of corporate values falls short. Current environment is a fortress trying to survive after a succession of corporate layoffs and overspending. Many of the most knowledgeable and tenured employees spared in the layoffs have left out of utter frustration - largely due to the company focusing on the wrong issues. Software is becoming dated and uncompetitive. Service is generally poor due to resource limitations and complaints about substantive shortcomings in the software and/or service delivery. Many of the most committed and longest term customers have given up and are seeking out competitors. Transparency is illusory; engagement is low.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. Listen to your employees. Stand behind your employees by acknowledging their concerns and empower them to act to resolve customer issues. Command and control is not the answer. Ensure that accountability is correctly assessed without penalizing newer and current employees for the largess of the past regimes.

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

Benefits and PTO, co-workers and perks.

Cons

CEO is out of touch and some executive team members are under qualified.

"Adviser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None at all. They lay people off with no notice

Cons

When the year lay people off they take 3 of you and tell you with all in one place

Advice to Management

Get some real people in management who no what they are doing

"Wonderful environment!"

Current Employee - AR Specialist in Ormond Beach, FL
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in Ormond Beach, FL

I have been working at Kareo (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, management, co-workers.

Cons

I can't see any at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! After working at another medical billing company in the area for years, I feel like I was let out of jail and sent to Tahiti.

"Pass"

I worked at Kareo full-time

Pros

Casual dress, free soda, people generally friendly

Cons

Disorganized with no clear path to achieve profitability. Company is extremely financially stressed, so staffing and resources are inadequate.

Advice to Management

Stop holding meetings saying the company is working to improve the culture-do something to actually improve it. Meetings take up too much time with little results.

"The Emperor Has No Clothes"

I worked at Kareo full-time

Pros

Smart, energetic, and hard working people. Fair pay and benefits.

Cons

Reactionary environment caused by resource shortages.

Advice to Management

Listen, then act.

"Needs to appreciate employees"

I have been working at Kareo full-time

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

The pay is not were it should be

Advice to Management

Value your employees and pay them their worth

"Billing specialist"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Kareo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competing pay for years of experience, great laid pay place to work, family oriented. Great welcome to new employees, great benefits and no need to wait months to be eligible. Your benefits begin the following month.

Cons

The only downside, management is friends with employees which leads to favoritism, management has unrealistic expectations from employees, they rather have quantity over quality. Too many accounts for amount of staff

Advice to Management

It would be great to focus on quality work over quantity. I rather work on 30 claims and know they are getting paid over stressed out having to work 60 claims and half done work. Supervisors should be equal and set rules across the board not different because employee is their friend. We work hard. We should be allowed to use our PTO anytime and many as well we please. Wether it's 30 min or one week. We earned it. Manager needs to be more compassionate and work on communication.

"Product Marketing"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, product portfolio, work-life balance, professional growth opportunities, ability to work outside your swim lanes and be creative and have a voice

Cons

Growing pains, 1 bathroom to 300 employee ratio (this is the building's fault), no 401K match

Advice to Management

Continue fostering internal employee growth within the organization, less focus on launching new platforms and getting what we have right...lets get "best of breed" mentality mind-set. Continue cross communications internally and externally (roadmap, feature releases, bug fixes). As a company, we are doing all the right things to head in this direction and I am confident we will succeed quarter over quarter with impressive new milestones we hit.

"Really great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people here are among the friendliest you will ever meet. The hiring team must've screened heavily for this quality because everyone is so darn nice and endearing. Secondly, everyone is incredibly skilled and knowledgeable in their area. I never have any doubts my co-workers will follow through on their jobs and do it well. The managers (at least in the Marketing department) have done a great job of balancing a relaxed, low-pressure environment while also encouraging everyone to do their best. There's always plenty of opportunities to try different projects and expand your skills. Each month feels a little different from the last.

Cons

I think the promotion and salary negotiation process is rather vague (maybe purposefully kept so), but I can understand that. It's really up to you to take that initiative. I really can't think of any other cons. I think upper management has taken a lot of steps in the past few months to address concerns listed in the previous reviews. A lot of these reviews may seem to imply that the executive team doesn't listen to employee feedback, but I really do get a sense that they're trying, especially in the past few months. But I can only speak for the Marketing department.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of tough feedback on this page, and perhaps it is fair. I just want to represent those in the company that still feel Kareo is a great place to work and to show appreciation for your efforts in trying to address your employee's concerns and incorporate our feedback. Keep doing more of that!