Karolinska University Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very nice work environment."

Former Employee - Resrach Engineer
    Former Employee - Resrach Engineer

I worked at Karolinska University Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Contract work, less job security which meant not fully integrated into the department.

2. "An OK job"

I have been working at Karolinska University Hospital full-time

Pros

reasonable working load with nice people

Cons

relative less attractive pay level

3. "registered nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Huddinge (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Huddinge (Sweden)

I worked at Karolinska University Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big hospital with a lot of opportunities to find a unit that fits you. One of the best hospitals to work for in Stockholm.

Cons

Not much room to negotiate salary for nurses. The salary don't go up enough when you've been there for a long period of time.

Advice to Management

I had the best manager I have ever had. I know she has changed positions and units. But I wouldnt change anything there.

4. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Karolinska University Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, always have an opportunity to gain the knowledge through seminars, conferences and other more.

Cons

sometimes needs to follow the rules and regulations even a small things.

5. "Prestige"

Current Employee - Intern in Huddinge (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Intern in Huddinge (Sweden)

I have been working at Karolinska University Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

The most prestigeful University Hospital in Scandinavia.
    All specializations available.
    Some of the most knowledgeable professors and doctos in Sweden.

Cons

The culture is a bit hierachical.
    Extremely slow change processes.
    Lack in training.

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer + Medical Physicist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Engineer + Medical Physicist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Karolinska University Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is very famous group of medical physics at Karolinska university hospital

Cons

I don't see any drawback to work at karolinska univerity hospital.

Advice to Management

already satisfactory

7. "Good working environment and intersting job"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Karolinska University Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intersting work, good working environment, good bosses

Cons

Shift work and extra hours otten necessary

Advice to Management

Hire more staff

8. "The Karolinska University Hospital is one the worst employers you can find in Sweden"

Former Employee - Physician
    Former Employee - Physician

I worked at Karolinska University Hospital full-time

Pros

I've worked at the Karolinska for almost 10 years and clearly it's a hospital in complete decline. Working at the hospital is living a life of oppression. The hospital is run completely by politicians and the decision making frequently lacks medical input. Patients and good care is clearly not the focus. The number of hospital beds is also way to few, making work inefficient and frustrating. The merger of Huddinge and the Karolinska has been a disaster from a healthcare perspective and an employee situation. The building of the New Karolinska is an equally ill planned idea that will only make matters worse- the hospital is too small and not fit for the future healthcare needs with an aging population. The only good thing that remains of the era of the Karolinska Hospital is that there are good colleagues in the same situation.
    The best part of being an employee at the Karolinska University hospital is that you can have the pleasure of resigning. I finally did and it was like getting back the love of life- life at the Karolinska was always living under grey heavy clouds and a sense of no attractive future. I have no idea how I could stand working for so many years at the hospital. I wish I had left earlier. Life is too short to waste time working at the Karolinska.

Cons

Extremely poor management. The selection process for heads of department is governed by a focus on willingness to say yes to the politicians. If research is your interest there are opportunities at the Karolinska Institute but the institute seems to suffer from similar issues as the hospital. Education is stated as a high priority but in reality educating is not a focus area- more a "must" that is done without passion.
    As an employer, the Karolinska University hospital is clearly in a class of it's own- I've never had and will hopefully never have a worse employer. At the Karolinska, you are a brick that can be moved around the different sites in Stockholm even if it's highly unpractical for the employee since Stockholm is a big city where transportation takes a lot of time. If you have a vision, scientific drive or if you object to the leadership you will be seen as a threat.

Advice to Management

My advice is to perform a complete restructuring and implement a "cultural revolution" so that the hospital becomes fit for purpose from a healthcare perspective and as a state of the art employer academic institution. The best would probably be to have the hospital run by the state rather than the county.

9. "Putting life before work is the mentality there"

I worked at Karolinska University Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work condition, 6 weeks vacation,

Cons

People who are career driven get pushed aside

10. "Rewarding work with much potential but slow to deliver and weak monetary compensation"

Current Employee - Medical Physicist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Medical Physicist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Karolinska University Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Currently the whole healthcare in the Stockholm County Council is going through changes. Karolinska is at the epicenter of these changes with the construction of the New Karolinska. It is a once in a career opportunity to be able to be a part of this change.

Cons

Bureaucratic slow hierarchy constantly impedes change. As with many organization with a great tradition there is in some circles and irrational fear of change partly due to fatigue as a result of previous changes.

Advice to Management

With the construction of the new hospital try to change not only work flow at the floor but also management through the whole organizational structure. The importance of open transparent communication cannot be underestimated. Employers always judge their work experience by looking at their local leadership if it fails senior leadership fails.