KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Kate Spade New York

Engaged Employer

Kate Spade New York

Add a Review

Kate Spade New York Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 61 of over 1,287 reviews

3.8
Kate Spade New York CEO Liz Fraser
Liz Fraser
Pros
  • "Great discount, fun people to work with, flexible scheduling(in 154 reviews)

• "Employee discount, great people, fun environment(in 106 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor upper management, took credit for other managers work, lack of communication(in 40 reviews)

• "sometimes hard work/life balance(in 39 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Kate Spade New York and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Store leader

Oct 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with passionate people, great work life balance

Cons

Can be extremely Slow at times

2. 5.0
      Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Lovely team and positive environment

May 5, 2020 - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People treat you like a person and take the time to properly train employees - One of the few companies in the fashion industry that doesn't have a toxic work culture. - You don't have to be afraid of asking questions. - You are encouraged to grow. - Realistic goals and expectations - Full-time employees get exceptional benefits and discounts at all Tapestry brands - Sample sales with deals for everyone at less than the cost - Pay is reasonable for NYC and is good. - Work life balance is honored majority of the time.

Cons

-There are some typical politics between the various departments of the production process - It is difficult and takes a while for a temp to become a full-time person - A large portion of entry-level positions seemed to be temp roles. - As a temp, you are excluded from some of the company-wide events that are fun such as holiday parties, or the little day brighteners they do on smaller holidays. - As a temp, you are told 40 hours a week but that doesn't frequently happen.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

fun job when you college

Dec 14, 2020 - Sales Manager in Boca Raton, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

great discount, fun people, the product is beautiful, good wardrobing

Cons

management sucks, work-life balance is horrible, management has no idea what there doing.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun and positive work environment

Sep 10, 2020 - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and positive work environment

Cons

Not great work life balance

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Toxic environment that has lost its vision

Feb 9, 2020 - Corporate Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generous sample sales and discounts Summer Fridays (We used to have flexible Fridays before the acquisition) Colorful office Office is within reasonable walking distance to several subway stations

Cons

MICROMANGING & TOXIC ENVIROMENT, throwing people under the bus, you always have to watch your back and morale is low. No Growth, High favoritism, do not expect fairness but you can count on constant drama, gossipin and very Clique behavior. Poor compensation for unrealistic expectations we were expected to meet. Oh the irony of their stance on mental health, mean they offered us poor work life balance. Meanwhile some departments are given unrealistic expectations but not the proper head count, mean some teams will have too many and too much time on their hands. You’re lucky if you’re allowed a temp, you can advocate for your temp but sadly temps are rarely given the opportunity to convert to full-time and if they do. It usually takes a long time.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

love it

Jul 24, 2020 - Store Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

great company to work for. they really care about their employees. great work/life balance

Cons

no holiday pay, took away bonus structure bc of covid

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

So many lessons learned.

Jan 16, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team was the only pro to working here.

Cons

Oh let me count the ways. -was asked to travel to various stores on the eastern seaboard, and by asked I mean it was demanded of me with promises of promotion that never came. I was driving 3 hours EACH WAY for one store, working 9 hours, and then had to drive back the next day. and they refused to put me up in a hotel. Citing it wasn’t far enough. 2) was constantly told my hair was “unkempt” it I didn’t get it keratin treated because I’m native and my hair is difficult when not braided. Had district leaders insist I dye, cut, and even burn my hair to a crisp with heated tools 3) no work life balance. They’ll ask the world of you and give you nothing in return. My grandma died and my store leader refused me bereavement— I had to go above her to HR. And the entire time I was gone? The rest of my management team was blowing Up my phone to let me know how short staffed they were. I had a day off to finish my SENIOR THESIS and they made me come in and write it on the sales floor because someone called out. They used to try to make me skip class and I had to fight to attend my own graduation. People. Have. Lives. 4) constantly changing expectations. Give them what they want? Sorry not enough, they want more. At one point I had keys to five different stores. I was an Ops manager who ended up being at my own store MAYBE one day a week— they had the audacity to give me a not on target performance review because “while I’ve displayed operational excellence in the stores I’ve helped rebuild, I’ve fallen behind at my home store”. Again. One day a week. They’re impossible to please. I could write you a whole list of reasons not to work here, but I’ll spare you some of the darker details of my time with kate spade New York. Stay away.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Muse

Jan 26, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount is amazing and wardrobing is amazing.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism with the company. There’s no room for growth, especially if you are African-American. Constantly getting overlooked. District manager and store manager will do anything to push you out. There is no work life balance. You have to change your entire schedule to accommodate and even then it’s never enough. Lack of appreciation.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beware

Feb 5, 2020 - Corporate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount PTO Summer Fridays

Cons

Unrealistic expectations No strategy No work life balance at all Working from home isn’t the norm, only if you can’t get your job done in the average 10 hour day— then the suggestion is to just bring your laptop home with you (sorry, what?) The hypocrisy of their “mental health awareness” initiatives — if they really care about that then maybe reevaluate workloads, the crazy hours, and the non existent work life balance.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall great

Sep 19, 2019 - Senior Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Eager to train you Very friendly Very understanding Great management

Cons

sometimes hard work/life balance

Viewing 1 - 10 of 61 Reviews