Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Ivan J. Dolowich & Michael A. Kaufman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work for Young Associates"

Current Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KDV has been a great place to work. I started my career with KDV right out of law school. As many first year associates, I was worried about finding a firm that was willing to really take the time to teach me the fundamentals of being a successful associate and just generally grooming me to be a great attorney. I could not have asked for more from KDV and will soon celebrate my 2-year anniversary with the firm.

On day one, I was paired with a mentor who has educated me not only on substantive law, but also on many things you don't learn in law school such as what to do at court appearances, the basics of client communication, how to handle the stresses that come along with "learning by doing" as a new attorney, and the ins-and-outs of networking and business development.

I have also had the opportunity to work in essentially all of the practice areas at KDV - something that is not common as a first-year associate - which has made me a versatile attorney. All of the partners and senior associates are extremely knowledgeable in their area of practice and are extremely helpful. Most of the partners and senior associates have an "open door policy" providing for an environment that fosters education and growth.

Of course, you have to work hard and produce quality work product, but you are recognized for the work that you do. In addition to the knowledgeable attorneys, KDV also has a friendly and collegiate environment and has a a fun, energetic atmosphere with great work-life balance, and offers competitive salary, bonuses, and benefits.

All in all, KDV does strive to select high-caliber individuals who share a commitment to quality work product. In return, KDV recognizes and rewards its associates for their efforts and contributions. If you work hard and produce quality work product, you will thrive at KDV and will enjoy working here.

Cons

All organizations that are growing are not perfect but the attempt is there to make the firm a better place each day to work.

High billable hour requirement, but with the workload you are given, you will not have trouble meeting the requirement and still maintaining work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue the great efforts of improving communication around the firm and continue to keep employee morale up with team building events.

2. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Administrator in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Administrator in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is very welcoming, always someone available to answer questions. A great place to be whether you are just starting out or you are a seasoned professional. I think the firm will only get bigger, and will only become more successful. There are a lot of opportunities to grow, whether you are a lawyer or an administrator. Supervisors across the board are working with their employees in mind, and helping them achieve everything they can.

Cons

There isn't much to say against KDV. They are a firm that is aware of their public image and are constantly working to prove how elite they are. I believe in the firm, and think it will go very far.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to be more engaged. Company culture is already good, but it doesn't originate from the top like it should.

"Great job, not great environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

Pros

generous PTO, decent benefits, friendly coworkers, steady job requirements, room for growth/promotion,

Cons

low salaries - high demands.
    401k matching "at partners' discretion"
    Although you earn a generous amount of PTO, the policy limits rollover/payout so it's essentially "use it or lose it" it's taking off is frowned upon by management, and they often give you a hard time for taking the days you have. Attorneys have "unlimited time off" but again, taking your days frowned upon and they are expected to be 100% responsive via phone/email despite conditions.
    Upper management fight like children. No leadership, no mentoring. Most partners are self-serving and don't care about anything but how much money they're making and who has a bigger book.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your practices to reflect the training you provide to clients. HR needs to be more responsive. Managers/Partners need to treat the everyone, especially associates and staff with more respect. Stop trying to Keep up with the Jones's - no body cares about your fancy car or your shoe collection. People should hold more value than stuff.

4. "Great!"

Pros

Attorneys are knowledgeable and friendly.

Cons

Few opportunities to work on transnational matters.

5. "Work environment"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most attorneys and staff are easy to work with. If you want autonomy this is the place for it. Your personal skill set and knowledge will dictate how much micro managing goes on with your position.

Cons

Pay is slightly below standard. No matching 401-k. Decent health insurance. Located on west side in Santa Monica (away from DTLA).

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working at KDV but sometimes drama would kick off. Overall my experience was above average.

6. "Old boys club"

Pros

Great clients, free parking and large office space with technology budget

Cons

partners golden boys get away with blowing filing deadlines. everyone else works hard

Advice to Management

take a minute to train new people

"Great Place to Work and Grow A Career"

Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

KDV is a great place to work. Period. The head of the insurance practice group, who is also the co-managing partner of the firm, is one of the best attorneys in his industry. Although he is a master of his trade, he always took the time to provide guidance and really listen and debate novel issues when they arose. The insurance practice group provides associates with autonomy and even junior associates are regularly tapped for input on overall strategy for the matters they handling maters. On top of that, the firm brings in high-level, challenging work. Of course, the firm expects its associates to work hard and produce good work product, but the firm rewards the hard work. I didn't join KDV straight out of school but I can honestly say that I became a lawyer at KDV.

As for the partners in the other groups, they are all really good people. I mean really good human beings. Their is no caste system and all the partners that I worked with treated the associates with respect and professionalism, just as they would treat their partners.

On top of being a great place to work and learn, it's also a fun place to work. And not just fun for a law firm, but genuinely fun. The attorneys and staff are more than just business colleagues. They are friends.

Unlike many firms in its industry, KDV is a true meritocracy. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Other than the coffee, there is nothing bad about the firm.

"This place is one of the worst law firms to work for- stay away"

Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY

Pros

Some really nice people on the staff and some good lawyers trying to do the right thing.

Cons

They are many. But the real problem starts at the top. The name partners are a bunch of idiots obsessed with filling their own pockets at everyone else's expense.

Advice to Management

Grow up

"Pass This Place Up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Secretarial staff and professional peers are fine people; attorneys in the employment practices and professional liability practice groups are genuinely good folks at all levels; great view of the Pacific and the hills. No other positives.

Cons

You will enjoy working in the insurance coverage/bad faith practice group at KDV if:
    - you like to be demeaned by partners who don't care about you and don't appreciate that you are doing their work;
    - you like to work for people who lack management and leadership skills and care only about their egos;
    - you don't mind being micro-managed by partners who are usually not in the office and don't care to review your work in a timely manner; and
    - you are able to take strictly verbal instructions, do what is asked, then don't mind when the partners don't remember what they told you to do and tell you to do it all differently once they finally get around to reviewing your work 30 days later.
    These are only some of the issues. Best to look elsewhere, whatever they pay you isn't worth the aggravation.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, pay attention, fix the problem.

"Good work, competitive salary, poor management"

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time

Pros

There is a collegial work environment among attorneys and support staff. There is also frequently interesting matters. The firm largely generates quality work product. For the area, the salary offered is decent.

Cons

Management can and does ignore workplace issues. HR is of little to no help in resolving or even addressing such issues. Issues are allowed to fester and without any remedy offered or conceived.