Kawasaki Robotics (USA) Reviews | Glassdoor

Kawasaki Robotics (USA) President Yoshinori Kanehana
Yoshinori Kanehana
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Demanding and collaborative environment"

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great environment for fostering independent thought and input.
    - Collaboration across departments
    - Good work and life balance. Overtime when needed, but, OK to leave early when needed

Cons

- Work can become repetitive at times (comes with the industry)
    - Challenging to innovate new ideas (comes with the industry)

Advice to Management

- Continue with strong R&D efforts

Dec 18, 2017 – Director, HR

R & D is again under review in light of new competitor intelligence and the needs for constant product and service improvement.

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Robotics Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Robotics Engineer in Wixom, MI

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made many friends while there

Cons

Poorly managed Human Resource team

Advice to Management

Exempt and non exempt employees both agree that the moral is very low at Kawasaki due to the Human Resource team. They do a horrible job causing many employees to leave. The only hope this company has is to clean house in the HR department. Thankful to be working for the competition now where employees are treated with respect, dignity and challenged to perform the best they can.

May 8, 2018 – Director, HR

Some employees refuse to follow the accepted norms of the work place, they behave in unacceptable fashion and under-perform placing additional burdens on their colleagues shoulders despite being... More

3. "Poor Management"

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time

Pros

Fellow co-workers are great, they all work hard.

Cons

Human resources is a joke, worst i have ever seen in my career, so called management is only there because, nobody wants them or they couldn't get hired anywhere else. Been there awhile, I have never seen so many get hired, then they quit right away, and forget about giving a 2 week notice, they will walk you out right away, unless you have something they want, the worst so called Human Resource ever, cannot be trusted, then after you are gone they will spread rumors about how you left, amazing they are even still employed.

Advice to Management

Flush the toilet, then new and better talent may stay.

Apr 13, 2018 – Director, HR

It is a shame that with so many complaints you don't come and discuss with someone who can do something to help you. I note the date of the posting. Wold this have to do with performance reviews that... More

"Rational Review"

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time

Pros

Better than average benefits (vested in Kawasaki Motors 401k has been game changing)

Competitive salaries and pay

Great job for young adults starting in the field.

Challenging and interesting work environment in an extremely fast growing industry

Cons

High employee turnover rate (in some cases it's just the industry)

Not much room for upward mobility

Too much influence from/reliance on Japanese parent company

Antiquated policies in regards to work/life time management (no real options for flexible work schedules)

Advice to Management

Some very critical (in my experience, overly so) reviews here. Some good points are brought up but a lot of overly dramatic accounts.

Keep giving young adults opportunities even when some don't pan out.

Try to move away from stricter Japanese policies/influences (for example, flex time is a growing incentive when hiring quality employees). Avoid nickel and dime policies. (Our brand is marketable and limiting apparel given out to employees hinders brand promotion)

Reviews, suggestions, and criticisms with direct management don't seem to make much of a difference at higher levels even when rational/healthy. Open up venues for more employee dialogue.

Dec 18, 2017 – Director, HR

Than you for your review. Given that we're a Japanese company and that our products are manufactured in Japan, there will always be a great deal of influence and input from our Japanese team members... More

5. "Great Place to Work - JK"

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can literally sleep on the job and not get fired. Employee caught sleeping and banned from Customer site is still viably employed.

Cons

None. How could there be any cons if you can sleep and still keep your job. I love it here!

May 8, 2018 – Director, HR

The sleeping employee incident was dealt with in the most appropriate fashion.

6. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- independent work atmosphere with collaborative attitude
    - good work to life balance
    - great ideas

Cons

- Can be a little hectic at times
    - outdated process, but, enhancements taking place

Advice to Management

- Keep moving forward with new vision
    - Encourage innovation and openess

Nov 27, 2017 – Director, HR

We're pleased that you recognize the positives. The Valley is certainly fast paced and hectic, so we understand your comment's and agree that some processes need updating. These are on the radar... More

7. "Good company to start your career with."

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience for fresh college grads in mechatronics. Pay could be better but if you need the experience, go for it.

Nice coworkers.

Cons

Not a place for long term career development. If you find a better job after 2 years or so, go for it.

Advice to Management

Please continue giving new college grads a chance to work here. They have the tenacity and strive to bring new ideas to the table. This way, they gain the experience, you save 10-20% a year on working capital.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your response and we are happy that you appreciate attempts to hire and train new graduates. Training and experience building are keys to career development and opportunities can be... More

8. "Nice Place for New Grad, Bad Place for Long Run."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Nice place for new graduates. The company trains everyone for every necessary task.
    2. Nice and helpful colleagues.
    3. Extremely autonomic.
    4. Good chances for promoting to engineers from technicians.

Cons

1. Some managers, appointed directly from the headquarter, don't have suitable knowledge to perform their jobs.
    2. Extremely high turnover rate at San Jose office. A lot of new hires came in in the past couple years, but the head counts in the office is decreasing.
    3. Terrible upper project management. Some employees almost live in the office while some employees don't even spend half of the eight hours working.
    4. The HR department is very poor ethically. If you are resigning, make sure to let your manager/HR know at the last minute, or they are likely to let you go ASAP.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your feedback. Being a global company we of course employ a diverse population and some of our employees are expat Japanese as you would expect. They are here in the US to gain... More

9. "Great relaxed place to work"

Current Employee - Employee in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Employee in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best work life balance and relaxed environment. Most managers are decent people although some of the rules are a bit strict and some are about safety which is understandable. HR are trying to improve things in small ways.
    Most people are really very nice and easy to work with but targets and revenue expectations are unrealistic

Cons

Too much overseas influence in setting direction, objectives and strategy.
    Some quirky people who are creepy like the one person who wants to buy all the females gifts and stuff at valentines.

Advice to Management

Let the US senior Managers manage and influence more - they understand the US market much better.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

We appreciate your feedback. We try to ensure that quirkiness does not become 'creepy' or unwelcome attention which we strongly discourage. The matter of one employee wanting and actually buying and... More

10. "Overall, great place to work- with a few interesting quirks."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wide range of project types and scopes- boredom
    Is easily avoidable

Management generally trusts their experts, and listens to their input

Good 'team' atmosphere

Salaries are competitive, if you know how to negotiate for yourself

High level of transparency between employees and USA management

Solid benefits and easily the best work/life balance policies in the automation industry

Cons

Engineering tools need to catch up to 2016. Reliance on outdated systems and practices in some areas.

Company is a subsidiary of a larger Japanese multinational. Communication with and availability of information from the parent company is by far the biggest obstacle to efficiency.

Occasionally, management will bend to the will of customers despite what is in contracts and agreements- although I see this as a symptom of management being willing to go above the bar on service to increase market share. Not totally a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing- hiring well, and then empowering those good hires. Invest in the technology your staff need, and it will show up in black numbers on the balance sheet.