Kawasaki Robotics (USA) Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- independent work atmosphere with collaborative attitude
    - good work to life balance
    - great ideas

Cons

- Can be a little hectic at times
    - outdated process, but, enhancements taking place

Advice to Management

- Keep moving forward with new vision
    - Encourage innovation and openess

2. "Deplorable"

Former Employee - Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Wixom, MI

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, lenient work schedules

Cons

I have never in my 15+ year career experienced such a lack of professionalism when interacting with the HR department. I have also never experienced HR personnel so miserable doing their job. Although I must say, the monthly HR sponsored doughnut feast makes HR personnel happy. If it only takes doughnuts every once in a while, I suggest you bring them in. Perhaps you'll find your 401K paperwork is filed correctly the 1st time and other such important documents won't be misplaced.

Advice to Management

Why do the Supply Chain folks direct report to HR? Bench mark other companies; I don't think you'll find any employees, with the exception of HR personnel, reporting to HR. Makes sense to the rest of the world, but not KRI.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your feedback. The organizational structure described above is incorrect. A number of departments report to one Director including HR, Supply Chain and Production Operations. Supply... More

3. "Good company to start your career with."

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience for fresh college grads in mechatronics. Pay could be better but if you need the experience, go for it.

Nice coworkers.

Cons

Not a place for long term career development. If you find a better job after 2 years or so, go for it.

Advice to Management

Please continue giving new college grads a chance to work here. They have the tenacity and strive to bring new ideas to the table. This way, they gain the experience, you save 10-20% a year on working capital.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your response and we are happy that you appreciate attempts to hire and train new graduates. Training and experience building are keys to career development and opportunities can be... More

4. "Nice Place for New Grad, Bad Place for Long Run."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Nice place for new graduates. The company trains everyone for every necessary task.
    2. Nice and helpful colleagues.
    3. Extremely autonomic.
    4. Good chances for promoting to engineers from technicians.

Cons

1. Some managers, appointed directly from the headquarter, don't have suitable knowledge to perform their jobs.
    2. Extremely high turnover rate at San Jose office. A lot of new hires came in in the past couple years, but the head counts in the office is decreasing.
    3. Terrible upper project management. Some employees almost live in the office while some employees don't even spend half of the eight hours working.
    4. The HR department is very poor ethically. If you are resigning, make sure to let your manager/HR know at the last minute, or they are likely to let you go ASAP.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your feedback. Being a global company we of course employ a diverse population and some of our employees are expat Japanese as you would expect. They are here in the US to gain... More

5. "Great relaxed place to work"

Current Employee - Employee in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Employee in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best work life balance and relaxed environment. Most managers are decent people although some of the rules are a bit strict and some are about safety which is understandable. HR are trying to improve things in small ways.
    Most people are really very nice and easy to work with but targets and revenue expectations are unrealistic

Cons

Too much overseas influence in setting direction, objectives and strategy.
    Some quirky people who are creepy like the one person who wants to buy all the females gifts and stuff at valentines.

Advice to Management

Let the US senior Managers manage and influence more - they understand the US market much better.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

We appreciate your feedback. We try to ensure that quirkiness does not become 'creepy' or unwelcome attention which we strongly discourage. The matter of one employee wanting and actually buying and... More

6. "Overall, great place to work- with a few interesting quirks."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wide range of project types and scopes- boredom
    Is easily avoidable

Management generally trusts their experts, and listens to their input

Good 'team' atmosphere

Salaries are competitive, if you know how to negotiate for yourself

High level of transparency between employees and USA management

Solid benefits and easily the best work/life balance policies in the automation industry

Cons

Engineering tools need to catch up to 2016. Reliance on outdated systems and practices in some areas.

Company is a subsidiary of a larger Japanese multinational. Communication with and availability of information from the parent company is by far the biggest obstacle to efficiency.

Occasionally, management will bend to the will of customers despite what is in contracts and agreements- although I see this as a symptom of management being willing to go above the bar on service to increase market share. Not totally a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing- hiring well, and then empowering those good hires. Invest in the technology your staff need, and it will show up in black numbers on the balance sheet.

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and Insurance is great, the hours are normal no weekends. Not being micro managed work at your own pace.

Cons

Human Resources is not great they are very mean people. Management doesn't seem to really know what's going on in their department to many Chiefs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people more in the lower level

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Over the years I have learned that HR is often viewed as mean by those employees whom the company has found to require formal reminders on performance and/or behavior.

"No Upper Management Leadership"

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time

Pros

non-management co-workers are great to work with. Small office environment but with large company backing.

Cons

All upper engineering managers are Japan office transfers, don't know how to operate in US. No leadership.

Advice to Management

Start leading or get out of the way.

"GREAT People, Non-Competitive Salary, Behind the Times"

Former Employee - Robotics Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Robotics Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING co-workers, freedom to have heavy input into projects, possible international travel, fulfilling and meaningful work.

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, questionable upper management decisions, lack of modern resources making the job and customer satisfaction harder than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Please work hard to respect your workers with salary commensurate with the local norm. In addition, understand that your workers are honest and loyal. Treat them with respect as much as they respect you. You will have a much easier time retaining great talent which has gone out the door so many times over the past few years. Best of luck.

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Salaries are reviewed frequently and local salary surveys are used to set levels, grades and promotions. The size of the organization in San Jose is 47 people and yet employees make the error of... More

10. "Needs Changes"

Current Employee - Robotics Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Robotics Engineer in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Kawasaki Robotics (USA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low Stress. Time off Policy is lenient.

Cons

Managment wants company to grow but does not listen to the experienced guys in order to grow.

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises

Sep 8, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your feedback. There are many factors that influence the direction and growth trajectory and while we do listen to employees views, they are not always aligned to the bigger picture and... More