Kayak.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Kayak.com CEO and Director Steve Hafner
Steve Hafner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • On top of all of that the work/life balance is great (in 12 reviews)

• Probably the best work environment I've known in 15 years of professional activity (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Complaints about a slavish adherence to A/B testing are also fair (in 3 reviews)

• New-hires, especially younger, aren't always given the guidance they need to be successful (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great environment/people/company"

I have been working at Kayak.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fast paced
    brilliant colleagues
    amazing work environment
    great work-live balance
    great office
    great benefits

Cons

My only con would be that sometimes the fast-pace of KAYAK can cause a lack of transparency in certain strategic decisions

Advice to Management

In the little time I've been here, I can tell transparency is important and in many ways we're very good at it. Things at KAYAK also change extremely quickly, which is a pro and a con. It's awesome to be part of a company that is at the forefront but I think, though sometimes not intentional, people feel as if decisions are made by the few and not the many. Transparency into the larger business decisions where data cannot always back it up (not just the finances) is somewhere I think we can improve.

2. "Great atmosphere and solid product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kayak.com full-time

Pros

really nice to work with people who care about the whole user experience and company brand, not just small-scale experimentation that ends up with a mash of ideas.

The office is really open and relaxed, you can share ideas and talk to anyone no matter the team or management level. Great kitchen with snacks and drinks and there's a good work/life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Kayak.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people, "be yourself" culture
    -Innovative, even "irreverent" as they describe themselves
    -Opportunities to chart your own path
    -Some travel between Europe and the US

Cons

-Sometimes the salary isn't super competitive, especially on the business side

4. "Big company with a start-up atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kayak.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management at KAYAK fosters a start-up atmosphere despite our growth to almost 1000 employees. The offices have the amenities that you expect for a leading software company; massages, games, theater, snacks and weekly social events. Engineers are encouraged to innovate and find creative solutions to complex problems. Programming efforts are supported by top notch product design and QA departments. Great energy in the office.

Cons

Very competitive hiring process. KAYAK is thorough and landing a position can be difficult for all but the most qualified candidates. Benefit packages are very good, if somewhat standard.

5. "company review"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA

I worked at Kayak.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place to work and learn

Cons

bad timings and not cooperative

6. "The best company I've ever worked for!"

I have been working at Kayak.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, and exciting work. The management team really listens and actively solicits feedback. Efficiency is a big, and there is a lot of collaboration between teams. People are understanding and very appreciative of the value you provide. There's a lot of opportunity to do a broad range of exciting work and projects. People work smart, and there's great work-life balance to boot.

Cons

There's a lot of trial by fire, and learning by doing. I love it, though I can understand how it may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

More communication on changes, what KAYAK is doing and why, and the roles we play.

7. "software enginner intern"

Pros

Interns can have great impacts on the production.

Cons

Concord is not very exciting place for interns.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Kayak.com full-time

Pros

You get to work at one of the most recognized sites in the world with some really smart folks and pretty cool people.

Cons

Senior management is bad I mean really really bad. The culture is similar to high school so if you haven't been chosen to be a part of the clique then you have no shot at advancement regardless of performance. There is such a profane lack of strong leadership and extremely poor communication, which makes for an awful work environment. Now what you have are unproven leaders who lack the wherewithal to encourage, motivate and LEAD their teams. Morale is at an all time low, there is no proper HR. All of the best people are gone or leaving soon. Sad all around

Advice to Management

Priceline may need to step in for things to change otherwise it will be status quo and a revolving door of employees who leave after realizing what they've signed up for.

"Great team, environment"

I have been working at Kayak.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

While KAYAK has changed a lot over its existence, it has continued to remain a very rewarding place to work with a smart team, great work environment and interesting problems to work on. While it's part of Priceline Group, it remains independent.

Cons

With several offices now (Cambridge, Concord, Stamford, Berlin, Kaunas), it's harder now to know the whole team, which was once possible.

Advice to Management

Communicate the challenges facing KAYAK. Keep the brand strong. Keep the team strong by hiring, retaining best people.

"It's like going back to High School."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kayak.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very nice people, spiffy office, good pay, good benefits, good snacks. But that will all wear off after a couple weeks - if you're over 25 however.

Cons

Clueless with new hires
    Ultra-cliquey
    The culture is very junior.
    Your only metric for success is how much money you make for Priceline. Regardless of what they tell you in the interview - you will NOT be revolutionizing the travel industry. You will however be a slave to A/B testing that is set up by people with no testing expertise, only spreadsheets and profit reporting. Yet they pretend to be a wonderful holistic startup full of wonderful values. If you buy their HR fluff, then go ahead and join their cult. If you want to add real value for CUSTOMERS (not Priceline necessarily) then look elsewhere.
    Sure nearly everyone is nice, but they are almost never considerate, thorough or even competent.
    Will your manager tell you when they are going on vacation? Maybe. Maybe not.
    Will your coworkers stop pretending they are good at your job too and hoarding work because it makes themselves feel more important? Maybe, maybe not.
    Will your manager be clear with you about what they expect and when? Maybe.
    Will your manager have a deep knowledge of your role and the skills involved? Probably not. Will they pave the way for your success rather than theirs? Are you kidding me?.
    Instead you will be put through a series of 2 minute meetings that add up to nothing you can act on. They like to rush around like they are super busy, but all that happens is everyone is interrupting everyone else so frequently that barely any work gets done at all.
    With 20 of the right people you could easily out-perform the entire Cambridge office.
    It's sad really. It used to be such an innovative company.

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations with new hires. Treat them like you did during the interview process. Go into rehab for your AB testing addiction. Learn from professional testers who have been doing it for longer than the teenagers you've got working for you. There are better tests.
    Forget culture. Focus on substance. Stand up to Priceline. Be honest in the interviews. The job you're hiring for has no value to anyone but Priceline. The candidate won't make any difference in anyones lives, won't make travel easier, their expertise won't matter -- unless it makes $0.0002 more for Priceline. You won't be let it if you are better at your job than your very young, very insecure coworkers. TRAIN your managers for everyone's sake.