Keas Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "I had fun"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the 3 years I worked here, I met some very smart and talented people. Everyone really seemed passionate about their job. Overall, the work environment was a fun place to be, and while fast paced it was a good place to grow in your career.

Awesome Perks:

-Free food in kitchen
    -Unlimited PTO

Cons

Management is often changing, so must be willing to adapt fast. Besides higher level leaders (CEOs & VPs), most managers often seem overwhelmed or confused.

"Like adding a roller coaster ride in your career path"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been two large layoffs in the past three years of operation. In 2015, Keas was averaging an employee resigning per month. Then there was a layoff after Thanksgiving. With desperate times comes desperate measures, but Keas seems to always be in a state where they continually lack resources to provide quality service and products to their customers... then resorts to cutting jobs.

When I was working at Keas, the company functioned in an unstructured manner. There was a desperate need to re-create processes and operationalize in every team. That challenge can be exciting or daunting, depending on who you ask.

Thus, Keas is ever changing. A dynamic environment, although stressful, is also a learning environment.

Keas is not for everyone. I see the best employees go above and beyond, even if it means working a 50 hour work week. They'd be focused and passionate about their work, unaffected by the sea of their coworkers complaining how much they hate their job.

- Easy to make business decisions
    - Unlimited PTO*
    - Membership to Equinox gym ($200/month value)

Cons

- No monthly/annual performance reviews; raises need to be demanded
    - Extremely difficult to acheive work-life balance (those working 8 hour days are seen as "taking it easy")
    - Unlimited PTO comes with the pressure to check emails and work remotely when you're off

Advice to Management

Since you are rebuilding teams, I suggest giving maximum context and transparency to these new employees, invest in new employee happiness, and don't attempt to give your customers what they want at the expense of your human resources.

"Not a rewarding place"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Unlimited vacation time (which can't be more than what manager thinks is appropriate).

Cons

No work life balance. Poor management decisions. Very high employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Be more open and take responsibility for failures.

Keas Response

Nov 2, 2015 – CEO

Bummed to see this on Glassdoor - clearly - Keas is not a good experience for this person and perhaps not a good fit for this person. And while Keas isn't for everyone - if you want to connect ... More

"Please."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting purpose. Friendly people. Good location.

Cons

CEO thinks he's a genius and makes many errors of judgement.

Advice to Management

Get real.

Keas Response

Jul 17, 2015 – CEO

Hey Former Employee, Thanks for the post. FWIW I am not a genius (Tho I wish I were ... it would make things a lot easier) I DO make errors of judgement. When I make an error, I try to learn from ... More

5. "Disorganized but Smart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time

Pros

The product itself is interesting and fun to work with! Entire team is extremely smart, good at working together, and those in management roles worked hard to get there. The benefits package is amazing. We have a lot of large clients that we're in good standing with, which bodes well for the company's future.

Cons

Very Startupy in lack of structure and undefined job titles, long hours for most teams, pay isn't great compared to similar companies in the area. Very little communication between teams. The ratio of product managers to work is really out of balance - few managers, huge scope of product - and the client managers are stretched too thin across large load of clients.

Advice to Management

The overall lack of structure allows a lot of last-minute decisions to happen, and it's pretty demoralizing to be constantly reacting to what's just happened instead of planning for the future. I think setting up more cross-team communication, more QA safeguards, and hiring more in advance of promising new features and taking on new clients would help.

"Health IT start-up with momentum and smarts"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like a "special ops" team, Keasters are an unusually dedicated, focused, mission-driven, and out-to-prove they can change not only peoples lives, but also build a large and successful business at the same time. This is one committed team, from top to bottom. The CEO is usually the first in and the last out, coaches his reports and team, and while his work ethic seems tireless, he sets a high-bar for others to keep up, everyone works hard and contributes.

Office is great, good food, amenities, and best health benefits of anywhere I've worked.

Cons

If you want a "chill" experience where you can do your work and maybe slip out before 5- this is not your place - the Keas team is a work-hard - play hard team - which works for those who love what they do and love working with other driven and ambitious people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, and dont lower your standards. I've not seen as smart, driven, and focused a group of people in my 15 years of working.

7. "Unique, Passionate Culture - Best Enterprise Health Startup!"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you work at Keas, whether you're a senior executive or intern you know you are contributing to something much bigger - changing the face of healthcare. Everyone at Keas is friendly, hard working, and great to be around. Our CEO pushes us to be our best. While the team is an A+ all around, it's our clients who inspire me everyday. We work with some of the more innovative HR leaders in the world. Knowing our work changes the lives of employees for the better makes our jobs even more worthwhile. Also benefits are GREAT and we get a free membership to the fanciest gym in town. Can't complain!

Cons

Culture is fast paced and demanding. It's not a 9-5 environment, which may be a con to some people, but we're a real family working together to reach our goals and to ensure customer success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Add even more employee health/resilience programs internally to further our mission to optimize employee health & well-being everywhere.

8. "Excellent team oriented culture and a great work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is transparent with decision making and is open to feedback and suggestions from employees. Everyone is focused on creating an excellent product and serving customer needs. There's a strong commitment toward the agile process and applying best practices in engineering. Industry experts are regularly invited to present to the entire company. There are plenty of opportunities for individual growth, development, and mentoring. Benefits are generous, and there's a mandate for everyone to live a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Because its customer base consists of large enterprise companies, the schedule can become chaotic at times, which results in having to work longer hours on occasion.

Advice to Management

Avoid allowing the customer to dictate requirements or direction too much. In the long run, taking a stand on the definition and evolution of the product will lead to the company gaining more respect with its customers. Other than that, you're doing a great job!

"Great mission driven company."

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to work at a company whose mission I really believe in.

The leaders of the company really want to change health in america. All of them have internalized how they can leverage the tools keas sells customers to improve their own health and day to day habits.

The product really gives motivation and positive reinforcement so individuals can make better health decisions.

Finally, the people are first rate. The work-ethic is very high.

Keas hires really smart people who are also good people to work with.

Keas is a very special place to be a part of.

Cons

Keas has grown over the last year from "start up" to "real company". That means if you are looking for a first job with a more "play" environment versus work Keas isn't it. Its actually is building a real growth business and has acquired Fortune 500 customers. the community within the company evolve from the "first gen startup-y" people to the second gen "build a business" team of people.

Advice to Management

You are growing an amazing business that helps people and makes money - stay true to that!

"A Winning TEAM"

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High-performance environment. If you liked playing sports in high-school or college, or like team-based activities, you will love Keas. Probably the best business team I have ever worked with. Keasters are data-driven, results-driven, and outcomes-focused. They pull together in a passionate and driven way to win customers, serve customers, and keep customers.

Openness and directness expected and encouraged (and not for everyone - so if you are hyper-sensitive - probably not for you). Its often said "what is the alternative?" to not speaking hard-truths and being very direct with each other about performance. So true! Most folks appreciate direct and honest feedback. And even when feedback may be a bit harsh, the result of a brutally honest environment is no guessing where you stand, no office politics, and a focus on results, learnings, individual and team improvement.

The management team is always looking for ways to grow and improve, which is unusual, and inspiring. "Lifelong learning" is often shown and told iin weekly stand-ups when folks share stories about what they have learned and how they are using those learnings to evolve and improve the Keas strategy and business execution.

After many years "finding itself" as a start-up, a new management came in, set high standards, cleaned house, and brought in a new team showed by exampled how to live up to those standards. The bar of performance continues to get raised- as the team always looks to acheive "personal best" performance and record team performance. Keas is now a growth story that never could have happened without this cultural transformation. After many years at Keas, I am glad I stuck around for the "re-birth" of this company! :)

Cons

The tough part of a sports-team or performance-team culture, is that when the weaker players get cut - it hurts on a personal level because the team is close, most people know each other, and everyone works intensely.

On the other hand, this approach is the same approach winning teams take in pro sports. While I would not describe the culture as "sports" focused - the parallels to running a pro-sports franchise are recognizable - you can't win games if you carry folks who don't want to play everyday to win...and who would rather play their own game than be on a team.

If you are a quieter, sensitive, person, or if you prefer to work more solo, or be "on your own" and be "left alone to do your own thing" Keas is probably not for you - because the culture requires individual performance and teamwork almost equally.

I think the management team was too slow to cut weaker players in 2013. I also think they have learned they need to move even faster on this in the future because this has been an open topic of conversation about how we grow and strengthen our recruiting in 2014.

Advice to Management

Success breeds success! Keep doing what you're doing!