Keenan & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Keenan & Associates President and CEO Sean Smith
Sean Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company, but low compensation"

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

Keenan makes a strong effort to bring everyone together as a team. Professional development and sharing best practices are big within the company, as is regularly bringing together team members from across the state. Customer service is great. Benefits are very good. I worked in the corporate office in Torrance, and there were plenty of celebrations: potlucks, birthdays, anniversaries, and milestone retirements. Between that and the amount of collaboration, you really feel like part of a family.

Cons

Based on my experience and conversation with other current and former employees, compensation is not competitive. There aren't a ton of growth opportunities within the company.

2. "Account Coordinator"

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

The company culture, people, pay and benefits

Cons

little room for advancement since most people stay at Keenan until they retire

3. "Claims assistant"

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

".."

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

They offer ESOP and 401k

Cons

Hard to navigate or get promoted into a new position unless you know someone.

5. "Working at Keenan"

Current Employee - Claim Manager in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Claim Manager in Torrance, CA

Pros

I have worked at Keenan for over 10 years. It is a very good company - family and employee owned - excellent benefits plus 401k AND ESOP. Flexible hours with opportunity to work at home occasionally.

Cons

Technology has fallen behind - what once was leading edge is now close to obsolete. Some office facilities are in need of improvement.

Advice to Management

Hard to believe that a company with 10 offices and 750 employees still does not have a CIO, Failure to keep up in this area eventually will negatively impact client retention.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commute was good, usually got my PTO when requested.

Cons

Terrible place to work now. Back in the day, when John Keenan was alive, I loved working there. Unfortunately, when he left, management grew fangs. Some Managers / Supervisors sleep with their direct reports, some are immune to adhere to policies, some just want their office and title, and have no intentions of actually DOING the work. Of all the people that have left Keenan voluntarily, I've never heard of anyone saying "I wish I could go back". What does that tell you? Should be purchased by a real company, gutted, then rebuilt.

"Worst Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is nothing good to be said about Keenan.

Cons

The CEO is mentally unstable and is very manipulative. Everyone at Keenan is brainwashed. They have no idea they are brainwashed. Serious mind games going on over there.

Advice to Management

Start with firing the CEO.

"Great place...room for improvement"

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

The majority of the people at Keenan & Associates are great to work with. Everyone seems to have an upbeat attitude and are generally easy to get along with.

Cons

Computers and systems are severely outdated. Being a medium sized company, there could definitely be more room for improvement. Another thing too is frivolous spending. It seems like managers get away with purchasing things they don't necessarily need, but who am I to say anything.

Advice to Management

Look at your purchasing practices and really have a talk with some of the upper management. It seems like they "need" things and get special privileges to get what they want, all at the expense of everyone else.

"Grooviest career move ever: never thought I'd LOVE this industry!"

Former Employee - Management in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Torrance, CA

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keenan allows you to innovate and provides ample opportunity for lifelong learners. They have created a unique culture: holidays are over the top (especially Halloween), meaningful community outreach, and so much more!

Cons

Workload was very heavy...be prepared to work long hours and weekends if you are in management. Compensation was not within community standard.

Advice to Management

Please pay more attention to the quiet employee who keeps the machine humming...everyone has a breaking point.

"No faith in management"

I worked at Keenan & Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a good company to work for. Good benefits.

Cons

Nepotism and cronyism have ruined the company. Current management makes extremely poor decisions and ignores advice from experienced employees, who actually specialize in a pertinent field. There are several people currently in management that I am amazed actually still have a job. But then again, management only hires their friends and not anyone who might actually be an asset to the company. The cronyism runs through every single level. If you get in good with an exec, then you are bulletproof. No matter your job title. Such a terrible way to run a company.

A lot of key employees have left the company because they sense that Keenan is a sinking ship. Keenan does not appreciate the talent that it still has. Pay is not competitive and positive recognition is definitely not based on merit.

The service level for clients has gone down dramatically. Keenan is woefully understaffed. Management does not care though. They make nonsensical layoffs and do not replace valuable employees who leave the company. If they do replace anyone, it is with their personal friends, who are lazy and inexperienced. All the while the clients and remaining employees suffer. In my opinion, Keenan won't last at the rate it is going. The center cannot hold.

Advice to Management

Knock it off and fly right. Think about your employees for a change.

Keenan & Associates Response

Jun 15, 2016 – Human Capital Manager

Sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience at Keenan. We acknowledge your feedback and want Keenan to be a place where employees learn, grow, are positively challenged and... More