Keenan & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Keenan & Associates President and CEO Sean Smith
Sean Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Company, Incredible People"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, including coverage for my wife and kids that is subsidized by the company. The 401k match is good. But what I really appreciate is the paid time off and volunteer time off benefits. Additionally, I feel like I am always encouraged to give my opinion on how we can improve, and management accepts the feedback.

Cons

As with any company, there are some people that are always negative, or bring down general morale. For the most part I've seen the company address this in constructive ways, but sometimes I feel it could be handled more expeditiously. Perhaps that's a positive though, in that they afford people an opportunity to improve... although I'm not that patient.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You are listening to employees and adding value to our benefits, and providing opportunities for personal professional growth.

2. "Workers Comp dept needs improvements"

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

CEO and CFO are amazing. They have great vision and make you feel excited about working here. Great community programs.

Cons

Workers comp department executive and corporate claims team need GREAT improvement. There ideals are the opposite of the CEO and CFO.

3. "Claims Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management, benefits and work/life balance

Cons

No cons on my part

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "A Merit Based Organization"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge opportunity for millennial employees. A wide variety of jobs and roles that allow employees to grow into a team member and be a part of the Keenan family. For up and coming sales people, there is a large need for millennial sales talent and can lead to well-paid and high visibility roles for those willing to put in the time and effort to grow within the organization.

Cons

A large company which requires proven results before additional compensation and advancement are offered. Similar to other large organizations the cons are different based upon where you are staffed in Keenan.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue growing Keenan as it helps grow opportunity for all employees. I look forward to seeing what this organization achieves in the future and I am glad to be a part of the team.

"Needs Improvement"

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

Some of the people are fantastic, management is generous with small perks.

Cons

They started in the 70s and a lot of people still do business like it's the 70s. A lot of procedures aren't written down, many people are very territorial when it comes to their work so they'll never allow others to learn. A lot of cliques and too many in management who take advantage of the system.

Advice to Management

Bring the company into the 21st century.

6. "Keenan - Great Culture - Great Company"

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

I have nothing but great things to say about the company, culture, leadership, etc.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Keenan

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Keenan is a Great Company"

Former Employee - Service
    Former Employee - Service

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My position offered a great work life balance.
    I loved my job.
    (Mostly) great people to work with.
    Awesome company culture.

Cons

If you report to a manger that cares about you as a person and supports your work efforts, then you will be very comfortable at Keenan. If you report to a manager that does not care for you or support your efforts, then it will be very difficult to succeed within your role. Some managers are awesome, others are not qualified to manage people.
    There's not much room for growth and advancement, at least not when I worked there as people tend to stay in their roles until they retire, but hopefully that will change now that they have been acquired by Assured Partners.
    There are a lots of employees that have been there for years and upper management has not been grooming employees to be qualified for their management roles (hence why some managers are not qualified for their positions).

Advice to Management

Identify weak managers that have high turnover of employees. Employees don't leave Keenan, they leave their direct manager. Work with those weak managers to improve their management style, put pressure on them to keep their direct reports happy. If the managers don't preform, then change their role to a non-management role or terminate them. Identify employees that are rockstars and treat them with the most respect, groom them into leadership/management roles, do all that you can to retain good talent because talent in the insurance and risk management industry is becoming more and more scarce.

"If you can get a job here --best move you will make!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Keenan & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company philosophy; great benefits; hard work is rewarded; fun atmosphere; great salaries; positive environment; corporate social responsibility program; paid time off, including for volunteer time; lots of incentives and employee perks; lots of parking space.

Cons

Location is just okay; office interior is very outdated and looks a little shabby in places.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for understanding that if employees come first, they will naturally put the client first.

9. "Management Issues"

Former Employee - Senior Medical Secretary in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Medical Secretary in Torrance, CA

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Medical and dental are available your first day.

Cons

Lack of help from my manager.

Advice to Management

Maybe take your department to lunch and check in with them.

10. "Great company, but low compensation"

I worked at Keenan & Associates full-time

Pros

Keenan makes a strong effort to bring everyone together as a team. Professional development and sharing best practices are big within the company, as is regularly bringing together team members from across the state. Customer service is great. Benefits are very good. I worked in the corporate office in Torrance, and there were plenty of celebrations: potlucks, birthdays, anniversaries, and milestone retirements. Between that and the amount of collaboration, you really feel like part of a family.

Cons

Based on my experience and conversation with other current and former employees, compensation is not competitive. There aren't a ton of growth opportunities within the company.