Keiser University Faculty Reviews | Glassdoor

Faculty

2.9
Arthur Keiser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most of the staff and faculty are great to talk to (in 8 reviews)

• Co-workers are great; pay is good; insurance is good if you're single; (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance & the turnover rate is unbelievable (in 9 reviews)

• limited room for growth within the company (in 8 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Keiser University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary with small class sizes as an Adjunct Instructor. The staff was friendly and I really liked my dean.

Cons

Irregularity in class scheduling. The courses are taught on a weird wheel schedule, so you teach for 4 months and then there are no classes for 3 months and then you teach again for 2 months.

"Avoid positions in the Nursing Program like the Plague"

Former Employee - Nursing Faculty in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Nursing Faculty in Miami, FL

I worked at Keiser University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. Even though they give 3 weeks off paid during in December for the holidays, nursing faculty have to work to prepare for the following semester because there is inadequate prep time provided.

Cons

Long work hours-there is no work-life balance
    No respect for full-time nursing educators
    No administrative support, concerns are not addressed
    Poor pay
    Unrealistic workload, no prep time, expected to teach courses out of the specialty area
    No support staff
    Unqualified program director (PD)
    Program director bullies students and nursing faculty, often threatens the nursing faculty
    Problems and concerns from nursing faculty were ignored, despite completing a peer review from faculty regarding the PD and issues in the program
    Program directer refuses to pitch in, expects staff to perform non-educational duties, and the work of 3-4 people
    There is no privacy, instructors work in cubicles so conversations are overheard by other program faculty then reported to the program director
    The clinical lab is a disaster, no technology integration
    The program does not follow ACEN standards
    There is a revolving door with regards to faculty and the administrative team believes that it is because the faculty are at fault for the issues, not the PD or administration.
    Corporate administration does not address issues
    No exit interviews are provided

Advice to Management

Fix these issues. Perform an audit of the entire campus and remove administrative staff that are not supportive of nursing faculty.

3. "Faculty"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty
    Current Employee - Full Time Faculty

I have been working at Keiser University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere to work.

Cons

The school has outdated computers and software for faculty as well as for the students

"Faculty"

Current Employee - Faculty Member
    Current Employee - Faculty Member

I have been working at Keiser University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The motto is "Student's First" and they mean it. Needs of students come first, over and above faculty, staff and anyone else involved. Average benefits, and company pays insurance (base level) after 3 years of full-time service. Low teacher to student ratios allowing for more personal attention to each and every student. Good advising for students.

Cons

There is no flexibility with time off, faculty must take same breaks as students which often doesn't coincide with dates they really would like to be off for their own personal events. Salaries are relatively low in some departments compared to other universities. Campus Leadership can be out of touch with faculty and staff. Failure to show genuine appreciation for employees is evident.

Advice to Management

Invest in keeping facilities, classrooms, etc. up to date to be on the cutting edge of technology and competitive in the market.

5. "ORLANDO - Deceptive practices; diploma mill"

Former Contractor - Faculty in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Faculty in Orlando, FL

I worked at Keiser University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few - classroom facilities were poor; A/C did not work properly for 8 months; dissection lab was never scheduled for classes with mandatory dissection labs

Cons

Administration deliberately withholds information on future prospects; misleads with false possibilities of expanding number of classes and pretends that the sanctioned 'markers' of faculty evaluation, i.e. student evaluations and pre and post-test comparisons as stated in KU Employee Handbook, are used to evaluate performance; lie to your face in order to get the most while paying the least.

Advice to Management

Quit lying to get excellent faculty without adequate salaries; keep to negotiated contracts; quit lying to prospective students to get them enrolled.

6. "Sound place to work at"

Current Employee - Faculty in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Keiser University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Military friendly, workload is acceptable.

Cons

Parking spots are too small

"Just ok"

Current Employee - Faculty in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Keiser University (More than 5 years)

Pros

experience and if you have a good president and program director and co-faculty, you are lucky

Cons

Too expensive for students and too controlling for faculty. Salary not near enough. Don't get me started on that mandatory yearly farce called Convocation

Advice to Management

Pay more, STOP the stupid clocking in for salary personnel and get rid of Convocation-waste of time and money. Spend the money upgrading your campuses for students

"Very Happy Here"

Current Employee - Faculty in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Keiser University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(1) flexible scheduling for faculty--you must work a set number of hours but aside from class time how you put those in is pretty much up to you (2) 4 weeks paid vacation plus five pto days for full time faculty (scheduling must be during semester breaks and with permission of admin. During other times) (3) employer matches 4 percent on 401(k) contributions (4) variety of insurance plans to choose from (5) supportive work environment (it must vary from campus to campus because I work in Sarasota and I do not recognize the work environment described in some of the other reviews. ) (6) because of the small campus size you become very familiar with individual students and what learning styles are best for them. (7)most of our students have overcome a lot of obstacles to be here and when they successfully complete a class or a program and obtain employment in their field you feel really good about being a part of making that happen!

Cons

(1) the media has a hard-on for Keiser. Much of it is unjustified, at least on the campus where I work, and it unfairly hurts the public perception of what we do. The bottom line is we are accredited and we wouldn't be if we did any of the things we are accused of in the press.2) while we strive to make a college degree accessible to non-traditional students, the cost of coming here can make that impossible. (3) there are malcontents in every workplace. If your goal is to make a lot of money, achieve recognition, or be treated like a special snowflake, this is not the workplace for you. You are there to serve the students, not yourself. (4) opportunities to move up the ladder are limited because most faculty and admin stay here long term and there are few full time openings. (5) lots of paperwork required in order to keep accreditation--much of it redundant. Takes the focus away from interacting with our students which is what we should be doing instead.

Advice to Management

Continue leading by example. I have learned a lot from them about professionalism and accessibility.

"2 stars"

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

They do not value their employees. Morale is terrible. Most instructors are kept in constant fear of losing their job.

"Employment"

Former Employee - Faculty in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Faculty in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Keiser University (Less than a year)

Pros

Student first philosophy. Majority of the employees are very passionate and care about their students.

Cons

Management is very distant from faculty and staff. Employees work so hard and not appreciated. They work you to death.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They do care and you are losing good people who cares and believes in your mission