Keiter Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
L. Michael Gracik, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great firm, amazing people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In all of my prior jobs, I've never worked anywhere that cared as much about employees as Keiter does. They take a lot of time asking for our feedback and making changes to make it a better workplace. It's not 100% perfect, but I don't think that place actually exists. If there are conflicts or issues, management listens. They may not make be able to make changes in all situations, but they do take our input seriously. The recent reviews on this site (which many employees speculate is the same disgruntled person posting from multiple accounts) are disheartening, as no one person can destroy the firm in the way that's been described. Keiter works hard to provide the best service to our clients which means getting the best people in the door to support them and it's not always easy. Everyone at Keiter works really hard, but we are also a family that can trust and support each other.

Cons

Hours can be long during certain seasons, but that's the nature of public accounting. It's definitely not for everyone!

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind and open ears. Don't be afraid to make difficult decisions.

"Great CPA firm"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture in the audit department. Lots of resources and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Long hours during busy season.

"Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Keiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Great variety of work/projects
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Lack of clear direction by most Partners
    Lack of emphasis on development of younger staff

Advice to Management

Develop training plans to educate/elevate staff

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Keiter for almost 10 years. Every day is full of different opportunities and my ideas are encouraged and supported. The Keiter culture allows for work/life integration, fun activities, and learning and professional development opportunities. Our HR department listens to all levels of staff for input on how to make Keiter a better place to work. They are working with a consultant to make our benefits and amenities even better. Very happy to be a part of the Keiter team!

Cons

Due to the size of our Firm, there are limited opportunities for Practice Service staff (IT, Finance, Administration, Marketing and HR) to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Provide management training for new managers so that they can successfully transition from managing projects to managing people.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Keiter has great perks such as 401(k) contributions, HSA Contribuitons, Shorter Summer Schedules, and many other tangible benefits. What I truly love about being a Keiter employee is that I feel valued as an asset not something expendable. To those in practice services, your work is not underappreciated by the staff!

Cons

Some inconsistencies between reviewers that can make getting in a rhythm difficult

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Keiter for over eight years and have to say it is one of the best jobs I've ever had. From the first day I always felt like part of the team, had engaging work, and have always been rewarded fairly for my accomplishments and hard work. I am in the administrative department and know for a fact that the partners value what we do and very much appreciate the support that we give the client service teams. The support and the perks that we get even during non-busy season is very much appreciated by staff and their families.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say about this company. Yes there are times that are not always easy, you have that in any company. You have people that are unhappy, are not team players or negative. You have that at every company. What you also have at Keiter is a great human resources team and other resources and support that you need to help get over these hurdles so you can focus on your own career and goals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time

Pros

Keiter contributes to your 401K, whether you elect to contribute or not. They also contribute to your HSA if you are in the high deductible plan..... again, whether you contribute or not. Paid Time off is generous and based on hours- not weeks. So if you take a week off in the summer-- you really only use 34.5 hours of your PTO, due to reduced summer hours and 1/2 day Fridays. Health insurance is not the best, but the upcoming year the cost is decreasing, as Keiter is contributing more to the plan. Health insurance is dependent on claims-- not necessarily the Company providing. Very flexible schedules and the Opportunity to work from home are great

Cons

Only health insurance costs-- but know it is dependent on claims not Keiter offering.

"Keiter in a nutshell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

Pros

I've worked at Keiter for over three years, and in a nutshell:
    The community days and activities are great - jeans days and volunteer day are two of my favorites.
    The people are great. I know that sounds trite, but it is true.
    I like the variety of work - no two days are the same!
    The stress relief activities during Busy Season are awesome (I especially like the massage days!)!
    I have seen our ability to take advantage of flexibility really take off in the past year or two.
    I feel comfortable approaching any partner or manager with a question.

Cons

During certain times of year the hours are high. Of course, that is to be expected in public accounting.
    At times I feel unappreciated for the work I do. I think that is a function of workload and time of year.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the flexibility - it is appreciated.
    Be sure to take time to say thank you to staff.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Keiter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very friendly, intelligent, approachable.
    Good exposure to a variety of mid- to large-size clients in the private sector, including for-profit and not-for-profit.
    Decent amount of training.

Cons

Practices are not always consistent between engagements - practice varies between manager to manager/partner to partner, so you have to learn what each manager/partner prefers for their engagements. (On the flip side, b/c of the varying perspectives, you get to develop your own professional audit judgment and perhaps challenge their practice.)
    Client's accounting is not technically challenging; however, it might just be the client's I happen to be scheduled on.

"It would be a great place if there would be better communication, thought they ARE accountants."

Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA

Pros

They seem to hire good employees

Cons

New ideas fall on deaf ears. For the most part there are fifteen managers or partners telling you how to do the same assignment/project fifteen different ways.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. If you think an issue has arisen, take a few minutes to step back and look at the whole situation before acting on your initial emotions.