Kelby Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Scott Kelby

"great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

photoshop world, working with fun and hard-working people

Cons

not really any cons, one of the founders (Not the Kelbys) made me feel like the job was not secure, but the Kelbys and others are great! Hard working and fun!

"Initially a great experience, sad to see what it has become."

Former Employee - Creative in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Creative in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the most skilled coworkers and creative peers I have ever had the pleasure of working with and that afforded a great learning opportunity. Some great talent has come from there and are now doing very well in other organizations. Personally, I have made much more every year since moving on, so it was overall a good experience.

Cons

As mentioned in other posts, the management situation is seriously beyond bad and if nepotism was illegal, they would be given life sentences in Guantanamo. It always has been bad as the owners have 0 formal training or degrees in business administration and have never attempted to learn such disciplines or listen to people with such disciplines (they can fly planes though?), but the company used to make enough money for it not to matter. Unfortunately, those days are over, their market has been disrupted, they are unable to adapt efficiency (because of their management staff not being qualified) and it now effects the workers who are truly the skill at the company. Also, unless you are related to the family, getting a raise is extremely difficult, even if your workload or title increases significantly.

Advice to Management

What other company that you know of would keep the the same management team in place when it loses 20-40% year over year. Most companies would have cleaned house after the first down year (SIGNIFICANTLY less if it was a public company), let alone the keep those same people in charge year after year, down year after down year. Why do you refuse to learn from your past mistakes? Guys, it doesn't matter if they are related or attend the same church. Numbers do not lie. Statistics do no lie. You do not have divine knowledge.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Homosassa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Homosassa, FL

I worked at Kelby Media Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

was a great place in 2007

Cons

horrible management they don't care about the employees

"Great Potential with Misdirected Leadership"

Current Employee - Employee in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The talent of the people who work for the company is amazing and they create some of the best training in the business.

Cons

The Leadership of the company seems to have lost the heart of the staff working for them. What used to be a family-like environment has become a group of stressed out employees working for the family. The only job security here comes through being related. While the guys out front seem to be having a good time teaching, the rest of the staff is stressed out and overworked due to poor planning and poorer communication. A key issue is that there is no avenue to address any grievances: Upper management has several problem areas that are "off limits to discussion" and anyone daring to bring up those issues does so at the peril of their job, even while those very issues hinder the ability to carry out their job satisfactorily. So while the top folks share their vacations and and adventures freely on Social Media, they are not as carefree and sharing with their employees. I wanted to work at this company in order to be aligned to a man with integrity and character, but I have since come to realize that this man is more concerned with how many likes he gets on his blog post than whether or not he is demeaning and demoralizing the very people working for him.

The sad thing is that I love the company and I think the folks working here are some of the best in the business hands down. That is what makes it so hard to see so many people getting beat up and cast aside because Scott and the Gang have a new toy to play with and can't be bothered to show up or take time to plan. The Emperor has no clothes and you will be fired if you bring it up.

I am not writing this out of anger nor because my job is in peril, but rather as a hope that someone in Leadership will read this and have a change of heart about how this company is run. None of us wants to leave this company, but so many of us are looking for ways to escape. I fear that this letter will fall on deaf ears and be attributed to sour grapes or jealousy by those that have the power to change things. Truthfully, I am not jealous nor bitter. I am writing this before any major issues arise that affect me personally so that I may speak from a neutral platform. I can see the writing on the wall and I want to warn any potential prospects that may want to join this "dream company" that there is a lot of disfunction behind the curtain.

Advice to Management

You claim to be Christians and yet it feels like you have lost your way.

"I love my job."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

KMG is an awesome place to work. You can come to work in shorts and flip flops, the work itself is very easy and the hours are great.

Cons

I don't feel challenged. I just sit here and do what the upper managers tell me to and that's that. I have stopped trying to get my ideas heard because they fall on deaf ears. We just keep going through the same motions over & over expecting improved results. But at the end of the day I get my paycheck and that's all that really matters.

Advice to Management

Revamp your entire business model and make some real $$$. You have great potential but you're stagnating.

"Great Company but too many changes in direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Employee skill-set is amazing
    Non-corporate and not stuffy but very cool and inviting
    Equipment and software is always the best

Cons

Long Hours
    Low Pay
    Opportunity for advancement almost nill
    Communication is horrible
    Direction of the company is skewed

Advice to Management

Improve communication and work more closely with other departments. Think ideas through more carefully and spend way more time in planning, there's value in it!

"Years of hard work have no meaning"

Current Employee - Position No Longer Needed in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Position No Longer Needed in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family owned company
    Friendly staff for the most part
    Good products

Cons

If you don't mind being downsized after years and years of hard work (i.e. a "legacy employee") then this is the place for you. During recent layoffs, lots of experienced talent was shown the door. In order to succeed here you have to be in the right clique or your last name has to be Kelby.

Advice to Management

Layoffs are fine but consider seniority. Also, if you get your spending under control you may not have to fire people at all.

9. "Small Business at its Best"

Pros

Enjoy all of the dedicated co-workers and the creative environment.

Cons

I haven't found any yet.

10. "customer service"

Pros

Great staff to work with lots of talent.

Cons

management doesn't listen to the employees.

Advice to Management

need to what your employees say especially when they deal with the members

11. "Kelby Media Group...Great Place such little time"

Former Employee - Videographer/Editor
    Former Employee - Videographer/Editor

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere. Being there was like being in school, surrounded with such amazing talent. You have no choice but to absorb a skill or two from anyone at Kelby.

Cons

My only negative is that it ended so soon.