Keller Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

Nick Keller

1. "It depends."

Former Employee - Accounts Payables - HQ in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payables - HQ in Seattle, WA

I worked at Keller Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Semi-Flexible scheduling as long as I put in my 40 a week. I was able to my work schedule compatible with my chid's school schedule. Paid vacation after a year, inexpensive insurance premiums. The team I worked with was pretty cohesive.

Cons

Not a lot of growth; lots of people stay there long term which can be a bad or good thing depending on how you look at it. The work can be boring.

2. "Hard to get fired, but doesn't mean you should stay"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Keller Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to get fired. People there are real lifers. It creates a fairly stable environment and you really get to know the people. For a while there, management mostly left us alone to work. I heard it's changed now, but can't speak from personal experience on that one.

Cons

Low pay and no raises in my time.
    Working with dust and chemicals all day. Inadequate protection.
    Little to no chance for promotion.
    Old boys network.

Advice to Management

Connect with the everyday worker more. Find out what is motivating them and how to improve it. They are the ones in daily contact with customers.

3. "Customer support"

Former Employee - Customer Support in West Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in West Seattle, WA

I worked at Keller Supply full-time

Pros

The people are nice. The medical benefits are amazing. Employees are welcoming but it's a ver quiet center but there is a lot of expectations on the fly without much of a learning curve.

Cons

Management can use soft skills on proper and effective communication. No training or explanations on system training.

5. "Outside Plumbing Sales"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Cal-Ida, CA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Cal-Ida, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, gives great opportunity for growth. The more you out into this position the more you are able to get out of it. Starting at a salary base and can move to commission base.

Cons

This is a task for someone who is excellent at customer follow up and following through with what is promised to the customer. Little training involved, should solidly comfortable with outside sales and cold calling on new clients.

Advice to Management

Training and closing of sales would benefit greatly. With so many different company locations, equality between locations is desired.

6. "warehouse"

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

nothing bad to say at all.

7. "Web Developer"

I have been working at Keller Supply (Less than a year)

Pros

Healthy, growing company. Definitely the opportunity for hard working individuals to make their mark and do work that makes a real difference. The people are great!

Cons

The typical headaches that come with a company that is very much learning how to manage growth and retain talent in the modern marketplace.

8. "Confessions of a Former Corporate Buyer"

I worked at Keller Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A decent place to start-out; good place for millennials/recent grads to gain some entry-level experience.

-Job security; because this company is in the plumbing wholesale industry (stable, semi-recession-proof), your job isn’t in much danger of being outsourced/eliminated.

-Slightly above-average benefits (standard medical/dental, paid vacation, paid holidays, 401K, year-end bonus, etc.). In this day and age, these types of benefits are becoming more and more uncommon.

-A quiet work environment. Some would say that this is a con, but for me I prefer a quiet workplace. I’ve held a number of jobs in the past that had loud, hectic work environments, and I found it hard to focus on my work.

-Independent-type work; if you like to do 85%+ of your work independently without being constantly directed/micromanaged by a manager, this is the job for you. The Purchasing Manager takes a mostly hands-off approach to his buyers.

Cons

-Wages/salaries are below average, but this is to be expected for a company in the wholesale industry.

-The Purchasing Manager’s “hands-off” approach can be a little too hands-off for some new-hires. The company's ERP system is antiquated and the learning-curve is quite steep. I’ve seen many new Buyers come and go within weeks of starting the job because they didn’t receive enough help/feedback from the manager and trainer(s).

-There are a few petty, sneaky, passive-aggressive people in the office. Be careful of what you say or do, because there’s a number of immature rats who love to snitch behind people’s backs.

-The Purchasing Manager definitely has his favorites, and his blatant impartiality towards certain people can be quite disconcerting and annoying.

-This organization is rigidly top-down in its hierarchy; the executives make all of the big purchasing decisions...if you make any major decisions on your own, you'll quickly find yourself unemployed. If you want to be involved with strategic-type purchasing functions (high-level negotiations, vendor sourcing, contract management, etc.) this is NOT the job for you. My advice: hold this entry-level job for 2-3 years, then move on to more advanced purchasing jobs at other companies.

-Unless you have a strong interest in selling and/or working with plumbing/HVAC/pool-spa products, there’s not much room for career growth. As a Buyer, the only way to advance in this company is to either go into sales, or go slave away at a branch store for 5+ years while waiting for a branch management position to open up.

Advice to Management

Discourage the petty actions of the passive-aggressive people, give new-hires more support, and allow the more experienced buyers the option to get involved with more advanced-level purchasing functions.

9. "Horrible and childish place to work. Company will trip over a dollar for a penny...."

I worked at Keller Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Understands you have a personal life. The job title is the only nice part for when your ready to get a better job.

Cons

Awkward work environment. No room for growth. If your not willing to kiss the managers buttocks he's super awkward towards you. Nobody talks in the office. The trainers are super shady. Everybody is out to take each other down. The managers are husband and wife and clearly have favorites and make it known by letting certain associates get away with childish behavior. Little training just shows you how to work the system but then throws you to the wolves. Save yourself the headache and don't work here, you will be thankful at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

So unprofessional. Told me I needed a "scolding" clearly doesn't believe in being an affective manager, only cares if the guys in the office like him.

10. "Keller Supply Corporate"

Pros

Excellent family based business, open door policy.

Cons

Not much room for growth.

11. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Regional Credit Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Credit Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Keller Supply (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, flexible for family needs, consistent with company policies, good training, reliable, enjoyable work environment, larger company with a smaller company vibe.

Cons

Pay could have been a little better.