Keller Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

Keller Williams CEO John Davis
John Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I would advise mandatory contract training within the first few days of being apart of the market center for new agents (in 75 reviews)

• commission split and desk fees high (in 48 reviews)

1. "Realtor"

Former Contractor - Realtor in Kennewick, WA
    Former Contractor - Realtor in Kennewick, WA

I worked at Keller Williams as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of driven associates on the team.

Cons

You really are on your own.

2. "New agents beware"

Former Contractor - Real Estate Agent in Cary, NC
    Former Contractor - Real Estate Agent in Cary, NC

I worked at Keller Williams as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional working environment
    Free sponsored lunches

Cons

Franchise fees
    No free coffee
    No free use of copy machines for printing
    Desk fees

Advice to Management

Change the KW model. So many really nice agents are looking like hypocrites teaching something they themselves dont use.

3. "Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Keller Williams as an intern

Pros

Good environment, friendly staff, Good training

Cons

My intern coordinator was extremely unorganized. I would sit there trying to find something to do. I was treated like an idiot.

Advice to Management

Before hiring, make a schedule.

"Market Center Coordinator"

I worked at Keller Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looking back there arent any pros.

Cons

I guess if you are a Real Estate agent this would be an okay company to work for. But certainly not as a full time employee. I worked at a franchise location for 2+ years, got married and became pregnant. I was about two months away from my due date so I spoke to the brand new "team leader"  about taking off for my maternity leave. She agreed and told me we woud have a meeting the next day. The next day I go into her office for our meeting, for what I think is going to be about my leave, and she fires me. Two months before i was due I get fired. Fired from a company whose core values are " God, Family then business", which is all a lie. So naturally I file for unemployment. Shortly after I start receiving unemployment, I get a letter in the mail stating that Keller Williams was appealing my unemployment and that I was to show up a court date, that happened to be very near to when my baby was due.  Sure enough, my child was born the day before the court date. I was able to get released from the hospital early and make it to the hearing, the day after having a baby!!  And now almost 7 years later of dealing with this awful company.  I am still dealing with the aftermath of unemployment. Because God forbid the company had kept me as an employee and pay me any maternity leave. So I will leave my long review with this... their core values of "God, family then business" are all lies.

5. "Realtor"

Former Employee - Realtor
    Former Employee - Realtor

Pros

I don't really have any pros. You pay a fee each month so they allow you to attend their bi-weekly sales meetings.

Cons

This company is a scam. I retired my license and yet they are still billing me for my office bill when I never authorized any form of auto-payment. They kept my card number on file once after running it once to pay one of their rip off fees, and yet they continue to bill me. I have called and emailed and they never respond, which leaves me with no other choice but to have my bank step in to dispute the unauthorized payments. If you are considering becoming an agent, or are an existing team member, check your bank account with a fine-toothed comb. They are scammers!

Advice to Management

Stop ripping people off and stop being phony.

"Headquarters - IT Department Needs a Major Overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Keller Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has great training for new realtor's. Many current/former cheerleaders/theater people that are just waiting for the opportunity to cheer you on for doing your intended job.

Cons

Potential new employees need to know things before working at KWRI Headquarters.

This company claims to be about having a good God/Family/Life balance, yet behind the scenes they have purposely created a "fear mentality". Management wants employees to work in fear of losing their job, so they have done as much as possible to create this unhealthy environment. Do not ever forget this, upper management is about money, and they will throw anyone under the bus to attain it.

This is a right to work state, and management is serious about that. It is a CYA environment. This is true for all departments. Get everything in writing or be prepared to get thrown under the bus by management. In the IT department, this "thrown under the bus" mentality is seen with the CIO (Chief Innovation Officer), and trickles down. The CIO has even taken credit for ideas by other people and received a company "brick of value" in one of the monthly company staff meetings.

Do not get caught up during the hiring period that a low salary will be offset by the end of year bonus. It is not worth it, so make sure you get a fair market salary, and don't except less. Bonus is talked about as an offset to below market salary, but then top management discuss it as a gift. A gift can be taken away at any time. Don't fall for the bonus/gift trap, get a fair market salary. If you take a below market salary, you will stay below while employeed at KWRI. There is a yearly merit raise, which is up to 3% of your salary. A manager gets 3-4% for each employee, then distributes it on how the manager sees fit. If your manager likes you, good, if the manager does not like you, good luck. The only way to get a larger raise is to get a level raise (which is 10% or less), which again is up to the manager, so previous sentence applies again.

In December, a certain woman picks a day to hand out what upper management calls a "gift", but are really bonus checks. It is literally a song, and possibly a dance, show. Your suppose to show how grateful you are, even though you earn the bonus. And the person handing out the checks will decide what day the bonus will be handed out. It is at their whim. This gift is not worth what it takes to earn it, and each year we are reminded that it can be taken away.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching the life/family mentality when management has specifically created a "fear for your job" environment. If you don't want to hear the truth about were IT stands as far as security, staffing, etc, then don't ask.

7. "Inside Sales Associate"

I have been working at Keller Williams full-time

Pros

Everyone is enthusiastic and passionate about what the industry.

Cons

Everything is absolute chaos. On the team I work on specifically, there is a toxic energy where the team leader takes advantage of the salaried team members.

"Not What it Seems to Be"

Former Employee - Market Center Administrator
    Former Employee - Market Center Administrator

I worked at Keller Williams full-time

Pros

Plenty of snacks/food. Freedom with regards to hours, attire and making your office personal.

Cons

Too many to list. The company culture promoted does NOT fall in line with an MCA's reality. The realtors are obnoxious, rude and at times verbally abusive. Our Team Leader would not help teammates. You could have three people at your desk, the receptionist out to lunch, two phone lines ringing and the UPS man needing a signature and the TM would walk away saying "That's not my job." Guess what - it's all our jobs since we are the office staff. You are on your own. You can get training, but the realtors will pitch a fit and lie about not getting their checks on time because you weren't there to crank it out the minute they think you got the check from the title company. (Maybe it came, maybe it didn't. Doesn't matter to them - only that they "think" it's there.) Not sure how you're supposed to train off-site and cut checks at the same time on-site, but that's what they expect. You will be offered 3 weeks+ vacation/time-off, but be unable to use it. If you figure out a way to get a day or two off, be prepared for being yelled at when you get back. I was asked to do things I felt were dishonest. Too many of the realtors at our MC were brand new. There was a constant flow of disgruntled ones who weren't told upfront about the copious fees they owe. What you see on walls promoted about culture and are told during the interview process does NOT match reality. I was on at least 4+ hours of mandatory phone calls each week, required to back up our receptionist and other duties not related to finance - more than 25-30% of my week and still expected to do a full's week of my finance duties. The conference calls are a total waste of time if you aren't a profitable MC. The culture promotes using the same words over and over again until you want to throw up. The word "leverage" is banned from my home. Overall - the worst job I've ever had. Had high expectations based on the interview process. Feel lied to.

Advice to Management

Get off your pedestals and get down in the trenches with your office staff. Deal with the divas and stop making excuses for them. Poor behavior is poor behavior no matter what profession you are in. Stop giving people a pass on it because you all are realtors. Be what's posted on your walls as far as mission statements go or take that stuff down. Don't be liars. The GCI Initiative is all about what looks good - not what IS good. Anyone with half a brain knows it and finds it insulting. Go back to what IS good. Deal with problems in your MC's no matter what. Rot spreads no matter how much money an agent brings in. The MCA angels are a serious problem. They should HAVE to spend at least one month out of every year in a troubled MC (physically on site) so they have the real world experience and make sense when you ask them questions. They are much too separated from reality and it shows. Treat your MCA's as a valued team member vs a whipping post and deal with agents who verbally abuse them. Abuse is abuse no matter who dishes it out. Stop the insane amount of conference calls - give people time to do their jobs. The calls are a total waste of time. Again - they look good, but aren't good. That is the true company culture - what looks good, doesn't matter if it's really good or not.

9. "Realtor"

Pros

Great training, nice digs.nothing else.

Cons

Cut throat. Competing brokers, little to no support. They charge you for EVERYTHING, even a damn pen

Advice to Management

Stop pushing g Gary Keller like he is a god. For what you charge you should provide leafs

"Terrible Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Director of First Impressions in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Director of First Impressions in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Keller Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the staff and agents were pleasant.

Cons

Not professional, unorganized, tacky, unkind & unrealistic.

Advice to Management

This was the worst job experience I have ever had. Understand that things do happen I got the flu my second week of working there, b/c your employer had the flu and I'm sure it was passed to me. Definitely out of my control. I suggest that you care about who you hire and learn to have a real training guide before you hire someone, this experience was a total mess. You can't just throw people out to the sharks and expect them to make it. It was overwhelming. Your expectations are too high to be messy & unorganized. I did not receive the proper training. Despite all of the tedious requirements of the job I still hung in there because I wanted to make the best of the situation. I am not a quitter. I was terminated after 7 days of employment b/c I supposedly didn't respond to emails promptly. & I was told that I did not contact the mca, she told me via TEXT to let her know when I was coming back. My doctors note covered me. She did not care to hear that.
    The prior week (mom-fri) I was doing fake unorganized training. I had to a long list of duties; I am not being extra . The second week I had to flu & left early to go to the hospital. The MCA doesn't care about what you have going on. I am a single mom of 3, so just to be flat out fired is a insult to me. No warning, nothing. Her tone & choice of words were rude, as if I had done something to her. It's terrible when everyone that entered that office was happy to finally get someone that wanted to stay. Everyone before me quit. That says a lot about Keller Williams. I stayed many days past 5pm to show my dedication to my job, I wasn't paid for that. You will forever go through hiring people, because you refuse to give out what you seek. You will always need a director of first impressions.
    & Karma is real.