Keller Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keller Williams CEO Chris Heller
Chris Heller

Pros
  • Keller Williams gives agents the opportunity to begin their career in a great training environment (in 155 reviews)

• They have life-long profit sharing where the company gives back to it's employees (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • they are very pushy on new agents (in 65 reviews)

• Commission split, but you get that with any major broker that provides so many resources (in 43 reviews)

"New Agent NO REAL ESTATE Background"

Current Employee - Realtor
    Current Employee - Realtor

I have been working at Keller Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offer more training than most.

Cons

Training is not geared towards people who do not already have a background in real estate.

Advice to Management

I have no mentor, I'm not on a team, and if U asked me what I got out of a month of going to KW classes 5 days a week for a month, I'd say "call somebody, call, call, call,call somebody!" Read ur script! "Confidence trumps knowledge!" But the person I'm calling doesn't know their lines! And any questions they have I don't have the knowledge to answer? You need at least a small bit of knowledge before U start calling people! "Knowledge" may "trump confidence" BUT THE LACK OF ANY WILL CERTAINLY KILL IT! I've had several people tell me "you don't know enough to be calling me to sell my house!" But I say "I have the knowledge of 200 agents where I work," And they say exactly what I would say. "You can't answer any of my questions so I'm going to find a more experienced agent, and can U please stop calling me!" Because by this point I've hounded these people to death! Because we are told to "call till they ask U to stop calling." I have no idea how to do a CMA, no idea how to do anything other than call, call, call, and run through a script.
    I think it would be good for new agents to ride along with seasoned agents and see how it's done! I think there should be more emphasis placed on learning the paperwork, the computer programs, and give the agent a little something to feel confident about other than just "call, call someone, call, call! Because I have lost all my potential leads due to lack of any knowledge about what I can do for them.

2. "Need a certain personality to benefit from KW"

Former Contractor - Realtor in Katy, TX
    Former Contractor - Realtor in Katy, TX

I worked at Keller Williams as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They do have good training classes that are free

Cons

The monthly fee and all the other fees they charge you make it very hard to get by your first year in real estate

3. "realtor"

Pros

Big company good training and teachers

Cons

take too much of your money

Advice to Management

None

5. "realtor"

Former Contractor - Realtor in Rocklin, CA
    Former Contractor - Realtor in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Keller Williams as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

fast paced work on your own,

Cons

lots of fees, they charge you for everything,

6. "Real Estate Assistant"

Current Contractor - Real Estate Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Real Estate Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Keller Williams as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid for the work you put in, that's about it that's positive here.

Cons

Pay is not great - they will pay less than minimum wage to work for them 24/7

"Director of Agent Services"

Former Employee - Director of Agent Services in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Agent Services in Manhasset, NY

I worked at Keller Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training for new agents

Cons

Any really good training starts at $800 and only goes up from there. Each office is independently owned but the office I worked in had NO IDEA HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS !! They did NOT follow Gary Kellers model of treating your staff like family. I was mentally & emotionally abused. Management was horrible & disrespectful. Was not a good expedient.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business! Treat staff with kindness & respect.

"No Way"

Former Contractor - Real Estate Sales in Syracuse, NY
    Former Contractor - Real Estate Sales in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Keller Williams as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing special. Office was nice.

Cons

Training is way over stated. Most of the good training costs $$ from $800 and up. You will never ever get a lead WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WHEN YOU START. You will have to buy your own signs and holders out of pocket. The monthly fee started at $58 per month and in less than 14 months I was up to $130 because they told me I had too many listings... Huh???

Commission is not good at 70/30 and you also will pay 6% to the person who recruited you so really you are 64/36 which is horrible.

You can find better training and pay at a small brokerage with less agents. Anyone at KW that truly likes it is getting paid profit share and many of the 5 stars you will find here are those people. Dont waste your time unless you enjoy giving your $$ away.

Advice to Management

Watch local management closer. Promote younger agents into opening branches instead of the old brokers who enjoy their monopoly on the market. Stop the 6% profit share which is a joke.

"Corporate IT (HQ)"

Former Employee - IT Department in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Department in Austin, TX

I worked at Keller Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be a solid job with solid work-life balance and an annual bonus that pays out in the 25%+ range of annual salary in a good real estate market.

Cons

Nepotism & cliques. Talented employees are often replaced with family members of current leaders (even though that is overtly frowned upon by the HR department).

Short-term, shiny objects, and quick fixes rule the day. The company footprint has grown by 20%+ annually for 6 years running and is now a large international enterprise. However, no investment has been made to scale the software and systems - only band-aid "quick fixes" to the same systems that were in place 20 years ago. Yes, windows 98-level tech underpins the world's largest real estate company.

New leadership has ushered in a "watch your back culture" and individual-worship culture rather than one that rewards teamwork. Thus, trust is gone and talent is leaving.

Advice to Management

Don't replace a capable leader with an unqualified family relation of the CEO. Further, IT was a cohesive team of skilled individuals that had been recruited in and built to lead the company to 2020+ technologies. Don't blame good, skilled staff for management's repeated decisions to not invest in technology upgrades, maintenance or support that have left IT hamstrung and hobbled while trying to support windows-98 tech for a highly dynamic 140,000+ person user base across 14+ countries. This may appear cheap, but it is in fact more expensive in terms of TCO.

10. "Not All It's Cracked Up to Be"

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

Pros

Good training. They have won awards for training. Though the buzz may be over-blown, the training DOES have value, and much of it is free-- even to agents of other companies.

Cons

The agents don't walk their talk. Exploitation and game-playing is rampant.

Advice to Management

Get real.

11. "Keller Williams is too competitive"

Pros

Really good training. Tools are there to learn the business.

Cons

Monthly "office" expenses even if you never use the office. Just paying for the name on your business card.

Showing 61 of 1,423 reviews