Kelley Blue Book Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sandy Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Some challenges working through organizational transitions and integrations with other companies within Cox Automotive" (in 7 reviews)

• "As a result of multiple companies being brought into the fold, KBB's parent company Cox, is very top heavy" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Valuation Analyst"

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

Great work culture, small business feel to the company despite being part of a big corporate company.

Cons

bad places to eat in the area

"very top-down leadership style"

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

ive enjoyed working with people around me. hackathons are great experiences. team building opportunities are always great ways to get to know people on a different level. location is near spectrum and lots of restaurants.. it's irvine. safe environment.

Cons

Very top down leadership style. Even though ideas are solicited from the individual contributors and they do all the work, decisions have really already been made by those on top. I understand there is a roadmap to follow but why have people spend time coming up with ideas that will never be used. it seems like the company has not been meeting its goals, so why is the same team approving decisions still approving decisions?

Advice to Management

Try a bottom up approach to leadership. upper management seems stale. goals are not being met, but people suffer. less breakfast, less vending, less bottled water service. all because the team making the roadmap did achieve the financial results that were expected. let's not be afraid to either change the directors, or let others have the chance with the understanding that they will be accountable for the success of their idea. that should apply to those in charge too. sucess should be measured and disciplined in a way where individual contributors are not affected by the success of the decision maker's ideas.

"manufactured, not natural managers and leaders"

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

Respectful employees. quiet. activities are fun sometimes. Diverse people with lots of ideas and a lot to learn from each other.

Cons

Too many layers. too many manager and directors who are not capable of making decisions and helping the team to make decisions. too many meetings. Too strict sometimes. Need to relax and respect each person working style.

Advice to Management

The qualification to be supervisor, manager, director need to be reviewed. Too many people are "manufactured" leaders not natural leaders. They become leader because they want to or go to school some more. But those people are not competent and technical to make good decisions. they don't even make decisions. They make everyone else do the work, what is the point of their position if they are not smart enough for the team to go to ask for advice from.

"Going through change, but still great things about this company"

Current Employee - Team Member in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a company under Cox & Cox Automotive we get a good deal of benefits: 401K, PTO that increases with number of years, breakfast on Fridays, casual attire, ability to work from home, Corporate discounts, celebrating holidays (Halloween & Christmas), learning opportunities and so much more. People love who they work with. People love this brand.

Cons

Being part of a bigger organization has it's draw backs. Kelley Blue Book in Irvine is struggling to find it's identity as in relates to our location, Brand and corporate. We continue to encounter change and many team members struggle with it. There's light at the end of the tunnel but it feel like its going to be awhile before we get there.

"Great people, stuck in the past"

Former Employee - User Experience in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people that you get to work with . Tons of work to be done. Free bagels on Friday.

Cons

Poor middle and upper management. No career path period. Bonuses are not based on performance but other failing companies earnings. Empty promises.

Advice to Management

Reward hard work. Listen to employees. Get rid of bloated top heavy management.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people here. There is good opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Sometimes we spend too much time figuring out 'process' and not enough time working on the website.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on engineering and less on what

7. "Presentation Design Manager"

Former Employee - Presentation Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Presentation Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company as Family Environment

Cons

Dealing with upper corporate management

Advice to Management

Learn from what made KBB successful and trustworthy.

"A house name, that has lost it's identity."

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-401k & Benefits
    -Decent Salary
    -Flexible work/life balance
    -Modern work environment
    -If you work on the right team, growth potential is unlimited.

Cons

-Employees who have tenure, have a strong sense of entitlement.
    -People protect their work, because they're in fear of losing their jobs
    -Finish multiple projects, just to find there is no longer a business need for them.
    -Leadership struggles to establish any sort of direction, we're losing market share to brands like TrueCar, CarGurus, Cars.com because there's a huge lack of innovation.
    -You'll often witness blatant harassment and bullying from management on other teams. Nothing is done.
    -How many meetings do we need? Townhall's, 1:1's, Meetings about Meetings.
    -Fear of layoff's a regular struggle.

Advice to Management

Cox Automotive is an awesome company, but KBB is an absolute mess. Figure out new ways to educate consumers, innovate on already successful products, and make your employees feel appreciated. Most of all, define KBB for what it is: A technology company that specializes in B2C advertising and vehicle valuations.

9. "Pretty good even after the acquisition"

Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, some pretty smart people, friendly team members. Some good training opportunities.

Cons

More management control out of Atlanta, but I guess you have to expect that since Cox bought us in 2011.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people.

10. "Storied brand, uncertain future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

A household name with lots of history.

Cons

Will it be a valuation company, a software company, a publisher - or something else? Leadership is unsure.

Advice to Management

Focus on the execution.