Kelley Blue Book Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sandy Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Some challenges working through organizational transitions and integrations with other companies within Cox Automotive" (in 9 reviews)

• "As a result of multiple companies being brought into the fold, KBB's parent company Cox, is very top heavy" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Presentation Design Manager"

Former Employee - Presentation Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Presentation Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company as Family Environment

Cons

Dealing with upper corporate management

Advice to Management

Learn from what made KBB successful and trustworthy.

2. "KBB Engineering is a great group!"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great. Diverse team. Get to work on new tech. Team events. No more annual reviews. Good amount of PTO days to start (24). Annual bonuses. Room for growth/decent amount of training. Excited for standing desks.

Cons

Stories of how other companies under Cox Auto have this and that (like subsidized food court and cafe, large and modern gym, really nice office space) make Irvine seem less special and important.

Advice to Management

Please keep focusing on growing/improving KBB culture.

"too many poor performing management"

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

Tons of projects. Tons of work to be done. Lots of ideas that need to be tackled. There is so much room to make things great.

Cons

So many avenues to make things great but the people in charge arent the greatest in making the best decisions.

Advice to Management

Please stop promoting poor performers to management positions just because they like to talk a lot and know a lot of people at the company. Just because someone has the confidence to ask for a promotion doesn't mean they deserve it. If they can't do the work, they shouldn't be here but instead they get promoted. By 'promoting' I also mean stop pretending it was fair by making them go through a hiring and interview process because we know you're going to pick them anyway. Having to work with these poor performers and letting them make decisions is bad business. We want to talk to and get advice from and receive decisions from people who we know to be smart, not from someone just because his or her title dictates a position that leads. These days, we dont need a manager thats there to just delegate and pretend to care about you as a human. We know they just care about their wins. We need managers who will work with us and for us and can be someone we go to for answers, for technical answers, for most things. These managers and directors just delegate and send us in circles. Thats not a great company. Managers should be doing work too and should be familiar with the work we are doing. Stop being hall monitors. You hired us (most of us), trust that we know what we are doing with our time. Managers dont seem to genuinely care about making us want to come to work. They think giving us projects is motivation. To a certain extent, yes, challenge is good. But not being compensated or praised to upper management for going above and beyond your job description is demoralizing. Managers have a strong say in our raises, but if our personal victories never go beyond the eyes of our direct manager, we have no real way of getting ahead.

4. "Going through change, but still great things about this company"

Current Employee - Team Member in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a company under Cox & Cox Automotive we get a good deal of benefits: 401K, PTO that increases with number of years, breakfast on Fridays, casual attire, ability to work from home, Corporate discounts, celebrating holidays (Halloween & Christmas), learning opportunities and so much more. People love who they work with. People love this brand.

Cons

Being part of a bigger organization has it's draw backs. Kelley Blue Book in Irvine is struggling to find it's identity as in relates to our location, Brand and corporate. We continue to encounter change and many team members struggle with it. There's light at the end of the tunnel but it feel like its going to be awhile before we get there.

"Great people, stuck in the past"

Former Employee - User Experience in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people that you get to work with . Tons of work to be done. Free bagels on Friday.

Cons

Poor middle and upper management. No career path period. Bonuses are not based on performance but other failing companies earnings. Empty promises.

Advice to Management

Reward hard work. Listen to employees. Get rid of bloated top heavy management.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people here. There is good opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Sometimes we spend too much time figuring out 'process' and not enough time working on the website.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on engineering and less on what

"A house name, that has lost it's identity."

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-401k & Benefits
    -Decent Salary
    -Flexible work/life balance
    -Modern work environment
    -If you work on the right team, growth potential is unlimited.

Cons

-Employees who have tenure, have a strong sense of entitlement.
    -People protect their work, because they're in fear of losing their jobs
    -Finish multiple projects, just to find there is no longer a business need for them.
    -Leadership struggles to establish any sort of direction, we're losing market share to brands like TrueCar, CarGurus, Cars.com because there's a huge lack of innovation.
    -You'll often witness blatant harassment and bullying from management on other teams. Nothing is done.
    -How many meetings do we need? Townhall's, 1:1's, Meetings about Meetings.
    -Fear of layoff's a regular struggle.

Advice to Management

Cox Automotive is an awesome company, but KBB is an absolute mess. Figure out new ways to educate consumers, innovate on already successful products, and make your employees feel appreciated. Most of all, define KBB for what it is: A technology company that specializes in B2C advertising and vehicle valuations.

8. "Pretty good even after the acquisition"

Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, some pretty smart people, friendly team members. Some good training opportunities.

Cons

More management control out of Atlanta, but I guess you have to expect that since Cox bought us in 2011.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people.

9. "Storied brand, uncertain future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time

Pros

A household name with lots of history.

Cons

Will it be a valuation company, a software company, a publisher - or something else? Leadership is unsure.

Advice to Management

Focus on the execution.

"Systems Engineer I"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kelley Blue Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like the people I work with

Cons

No HR department to deal with.