Kelly Educational Staffing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pay is low but that is state mandated (in 32 reviews)

• It's appalling that a substitute teacher who is put through a rigorous background check (that the substitute pays out of pocket (in 17 reviews)

1. "Substitute Teacher"

Pros

Weekly pay, user friendly website to accept assignments

Cons

Unsteady nature of best assignments

2. "Emergency Substitute teacher"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Meadville, PA

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, choice of schools you pick.

Cons

Not near as much time to work as needed, the market is flooded and hours are very limited.

3. "Great play to work"

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time

Pros

Lots of jobs to choose from. Schools always looking for Subs

Cons

Salary is way way to low. No benefits offered

4. "Flexible, Convenient Scheduling"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing is the computer system that is used to sign up for jobs. It's very convenient and much easier for me than speaking on the phone with a secretary like I have had to do substituting elsewhere. You can put in days you don't work and never have to worry about being called on those days. You can choose when and how to be contacted, and which places to work, and change it easily anytime on the computer/app.

If you are running late or need to cancel or change something you call the helpline at headquarters and the people have always been very helpful and professional.

Cons

Unfortunately they aren't involved with most of the schools very close to where I live. So that has made for long commutes, early departures, and needing childcare even though the hours should basically fit in my kids' school schedule.

My least favorite thing has been not being able to choose subjects. I was a scientist doing a career change so I wanted to only take science jobs. And the system lists the subject for middle school and high school. But at a few schools I would show up and be told, "We don't need a science sub today after all; you have to do gym." Or given a schedule with all different subjects/classrooms. It was important to me to have the assignment match the expectations because I wouldn't have taken it otherwise. They do a yearly employee satisfaction survey and I complained about this at length and it seems to be better this year.

The pay is insultingly low for the skills you need to have. That's subbing in general.

And it's nothing like actually being a teacher, except maybe if you get a long-term assignment for several weeks.

Advice to Management

I think it would help to be more clear about what types of issues should be discussed with the school vs. going through Kelly or just the best way to go about handling problems. Also if there could be training for the different schools since the policies can be so different, that would help a lot.

5. "Bad Management"

Pros

If you only want part time you get it.

Cons

They pick and choose which substitutes they like.

6. "Sub. Teachers"

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work what days you want.

Cons

Dealing with children that are execited they have a sub. They think they can act up.

"Bureaucracy and Red Tape"

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, choose when you work

Cons

NO CONTRACT OR LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT, Corporate is inaccessible, proof of employment is outsourced to The Work Number (up to an hour wait to hear "we can't help you"), interminable run-around, "benefits" are limited to 1% bonuses, as soul-crushing as retail without the security or respect

Advice to Management

Branch offices need more autonomy.

8. "Substitute Teacher for Kelly Educational Staffing"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing full-time

Pros

For the most part, you can work when you want, but you Must work Mondays and Fridays. Decent pay except there are too many days where work is not available.

Cons

Teachers cancel at the last minute and you are left without a job. You might accept a certain position at a school, but when you get there they can put you anywhere they want. Management will not stick up for you no matter what. No work/pay whenever students are off: holidays, snow days, teacher in-service days. These add up. I have no idea what the others are talking about job training; none given where I work.

Advice to Management

Substitutes should be compensated when teachers cancel at the least minute and leave us without work for that day. Schools should be told that we accept jobs as they are listed; not ok to put us wherever in classes that we probably would not of accepted if we knew ahead of time what it was.

9. "Excellent Educational Staffing Agency"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time

Pros

Excellent online training program, easy access to signing up for substitute positions, if you want to stay busy, they will provide you with ample opportunities to substitute.

Cons

Since this is an as needed position, I have not really encountered any cons yet.

10. "Walks the talk"

Current Employee - Corporate in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate in Troy, MI

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company invented the business of providing substitute employees to school districts. They are the largest and committed to remaining the best provider in the market. Senior management is transparent. If it 'takes a village' to raise a child, KES brings the village and is truly dedicated to the mission. Recognition of all staff members is frequent and includes stories exemplifying 'why we are in this business' - not about profits, the corporate jargon, or marketing-speak. When students achieve in part due to our substitute employees, we celebrate.

Cons

Success of the company over the past several years means we've grown quickly. Sometimes when you grow quickly, elements get overlooked or expectations get set too high. Management is sensitive to this and constantly looking to innovate and improve.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus as it always has been - on student achievement and satisfied customers.