Kelly Educational Staffing Reviews | Glassdoor

Kelly Educational Staffing Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, understanding staff (in 31 reviews)

• Love being able to sign up whenever I want to work, good communication system (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • pay is low, but works if you just need something part time (in 24 reviews)

• It's appalling that a substitute teacher who is put through a rigorous background check (that the substitute pays out of pocket (in 15 reviews)

"Low pay, deceptive assignment descriptions"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to schedule assignments and work pretty much every school day, teachers and administrators are easy to work with. Super-flexible scheduling and ease of cancellation.

Cons

Some schools will deliberately mislead to bring you in for their ESE and other staffings that subs are generally unqualified and unprepared to stand in for; although this isn't the fault of KES per se, they need to be doing more to prevent this sort of thing. You should always know what you're getting into.

Advice to Management

You're contributing to the harmful perception that substitute teaching isn't a real job by paying so little and offering virtually no benefits or protections. Subbing with KES is a quick and generally reliable way to earn minimal cash during the school year, but more importantly it represents the gig-economy devolution of substitute teaching.

2. "Substitute Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Hill, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Hill, FL

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You can work as little or as much as you want
    -Quick process to get started
    -You could work every day if you wanted to
    -If you do a good job most schools will encourage you to apply when they have openings

Cons

The county I was in paid minimum wage

Advice to Management

If substitute teachers were paid more, you would have more quality in the employees.

3. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, understanding staff! Jobs, when in season, are common.

Cons

In certain months, there is no work whatsoever, even taking aside the obvious summer months. Phone calls can run through the night when it's busy, and the bot is a little maddening after a while.

Advice to Management

Provide available work for those off-seasons to better retain temporary educators. We need consistency in order to work more for you.

5. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for college students. The days are flexible and you get to meet a lot of great people who work in the education field. Some of the days can be easy and the students want to learn.

Cons

Sometimes you never know when you will be working. If you do not get a long term subbing assignment then there is no telling if you will work tomorrow. This can be terrible if you have bills to pay and actually need to make a living. If you do get a long term assignment, then you will be doing the work of a full time teacher but you don't even make half of what a teacher makes. Most days you have to deal with students who do not listen to you and do not want to learn.

Advice to Management

Management should really pay more than the $10 an hour and their should be an option for us to be able to work when there are no assignments for the day. That way we still get paid.

6. "Administratived Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly Pay.
    Good opportunity to make connections.
    Great summer job for College Students/Recent grads.

Cons

Colleagues of higher status were sometimes rude. Not always the most professional.

Advice to Management

Before "restructuring" and "letting go" of employees, at least meet with them and express your issues, giving them the chance to fix any issues. Also, be more organized in the workplace.

7. "Honest"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They tell you exactly what the process of getting hired and paid is. They follow through to get you working asap. Qualified subs usually get hired as full time teachers.

Cons

Around $100.00 for finger printing required. Pay is not great. Zero benefits. Cannot have a criminal background.

Advice to Management

Have a full time job option instead of a part time daily assignment set up.

8. "Teaching Experience Part Time"

Former Employee - Vice President in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Might be close to your home.

Cons

Lacking respect for employees, $ 8.90 an hour or much less.

Advice to Management

Pay increase, Respect employees.

9. "Good temporary work!"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in New London, CT

Pros

Consistent work, easy to manage online scheduling and time card, quick and responsive supervisors, great pay for sub work!

Cons

In the Windham area, the school districts Kelly staffs for are poor and some can be rough situations to come into.

10. "Kelly Educational Staffing rewarding work"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orem, UT

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to look in on schools and see how they run. I am pleased to say that the students and staff have been wonderful.

Cons

The pay is quite low.

Advice to Management

If you want to fill all the vacancies paying more would help.

11. "Substitute Teacher"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Memphis, TN

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time

Pros

The Kids are the best!

Cons

Kelly Educational Services in Olive Branch, MS,that controls the Memphis Metro Market is awful. I got terminated and it took them over a month to tell me. I had to relentlessly pursue them as they only called me up one day and said, " Hey we just decided to today we,are going to take you out of the system because we got a complaint and we'se got to investigate it." The situation that led to this is crazy. I worked as a sub in a high school in MS. There was this overtly racist receptionist that talked to me crudely like I was a,piece of property and she even told me my time that was planning/break for the teacher belonged to her talking to me like I was a slave. I told her it was a stupid policy and this woman, and trust me I use that term woman losely as she was a very poorly dressed, unkept piece of trash. This woman got mad because I was an articulate, well dressed, well liked person of color who pointed her obviously dumb policy so she made up a lie that I cursed her out under my breath to get me fired. I found out today that HR was letting me go one month later because the racist " Good Ole Boy" network had spoken so there was no need to talk to me because this was a one sided investigation and my side didnt matter, because they were counting their chickens from the eggs of this contract they had with the MS schools so as far as they were concerned, I was property easily replaced so they fired me. I have a family and everything. They dragged this out purposely to be low down and keep me from working or getting unemployment. I thought our nation was beyond the apartheid of the Civil Rights struggle.

Advice to Management

Be leaders and actually care about your people.