Kelly, Scott & Madison Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Joni Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Client Accounting Assistant"

I have been working at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time

Pros

Good work environment
    Vibrant
    Friendly people

Cons

Could pay better
    Unclear career path

2. "Media Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the account, you get experience beyond the title. Working on national and local media. Upper management is easily and readily available to anyone at the agency.

Cons

Depending on the account, you may not get as much experience in all areas compared to others.

"Disappointed"

I worked at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my time at the company I was able to create a few solid friendships that I am thankful for. Also, I am thankful for a couple of the executives and management who took the time to make me feel respected.

Cons

I feel that I mention enough below in my advice to management.

Advice to Management

The company has so much potential, however, their is a lack of any solid leadership or management. Integration is preached, yet not practiced. Efficiency is preached, but instead there is micro management. It is the first office that punishes those who are competent in order to relieve the individuals who lack the common sense and or knowledge to succeed in a normal office setting. Lastly, it shows favoritism within their employees resulting in toxic work environments and ultimately an open job posting. All of this can be solved if management simply listened to the voices of the employees that they felt were a good fit for the company. Please, for the sake of the remaining and future employees, put more time into your people and less into your snacks.

"Mid-Size agency. Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-size agency with great people and in-house perks (snacks, happy hours, company team-building, creative office space, etc).

Despite it's smaller size it is nimble and able to adapt quickly to industry changes.

You'll learn a lot in a short amount of time. Because they focus on so many disciplines, you're able to learn a bit of everything including OOH, digital, promotions and broadcast which gives you a leg-up in the agency world.

Cons

Promotions are given too frequently and more often than not for no reason other than retention. Titles are made up and worked into org charts (as opposed to existing titles being open for internal fill) and lose meaning when you try to transition to another agency.

Upper management doesn't check in often enough with Directors/Associate Directors on their management style and overall team satisfaction. Because of this, turn-over rates nearly tripled in the last year and a half.

A prime example of "cool-aid culture". You'll do well if you're a joiner and go with the flow. You'll crash and burn if you go against the grain or do things even slightly different than senior management.

Advice to Management

Check in more often with your lower-level employees. Your Directors and Associate Directors need to be held accountable for how they manage their team and the current lack of accountability is causing a lot of employees to leave.

5. "Mediocre"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks & snacks (like every other agency), fun company parties, end of year bonuses. Depending on the team or department, it could be a good place to work with decent work life balance. But there are other teams that appear over worked and stressed out (broadcast, planning teams that handle the larger clients, etc)

Cons

Insurance benefits are discounted to employee only so if you have a family that needs coverage it is expensive. Not as many holidays/time off as other agencies. Long hours and if you're not working long hours you are frowned upon by some.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to why people are leaving. Most people leave when they are unhappy, burnt out and/or dislike how they are being managed.

"Great place to grow in a media career"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kelly, Scott & Madison (More than a year)

Pros

While I can only speak for the digital dept, I've found that KSM provides the freedom & resources to explore your passion within the industry, transparent & reliable management, builds & executes 360 knowledge of the digital industry, allows all members of the team to strongly contribute to the account, pushes entry level positions to be client-facing when mgmt feels they're ready (amazing opportunity at early stages in this career), fun environment/people, participation in vendor events, competitive salary, appealing work space/complimentary nourishments

Cons

Like most agencies, work/life balance will depend on your knowledge of the position and the efficiency in your work. My current w/l balance is very satisfactory, but it did take me time to get to this point.

While my overall experience is a positive one, I wouldn't recommend unless you are a driven individual with a genuine passion in media. Since KSM is a medium-sized agency, all parts of the food chain are expected and held to pull their own weight. Must be a self-motivated individual who welcomes feedback. That being said, if you are hardworking it will be recognized & rewarded.

Advice to Management

Building out the HR department was revolutionary -- hoping the momentum and plans stick. Ensure hiring process is thorough and everyone has clearly voiced their praises/concerns for each individual. Don't shy from internal hiring when it comes to upper level positions - people with knowledge of the company provide better & lasting training for external hires (from what I've seen). Provide more opportunities for entry level positions to voice their stresses or joys of the job (maybe anonymously?) - could help with any potential turnover that happens there.

7. "Love KSM"

Pros

Upper Management at KSM actually cares about their employees. They work hard to make KSM a fun end enjoyable place to come into work every day. KSM's dedication to their clients is incredible, and they always work to make sure employees are happy and fulfilled in their roles. The company continues to grow and expand and I'm excited to see it come up more and more in the conversations of top agencies in Chicago.

Cons

Like all media agencies, planning roles can mean working longer hours during heavy planning periods. Although this does happen, it is by far significantly better than other agencies in Chicago.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to employees feedback and continue to Be Bold!

8. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kelly, Scott & Madison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, try to treat everyone like family. Perks are nice and they try to keep things fun and rewarding. They are always willing to work on issues and try to be open with team.

Cons

Not always a path for growth, this is something they are working on.

"Media Planner"

Pros

Small agency, given a lot of responsibility for entry level roles

Cons

Salary doesn't reflect responsibility and time spent working

10. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kelly, Scott & Madison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart and dedicated people make KSM a great place to work. Many of the senior team came from the big agencies but just wanted to be closer to the clients, the work and frankly, just make more of an impact. Good work/life balance and opportunities exist to expand your role, create and contribute at any level. Management putting in place the right people, process and focus to push to the next level. Awesome new space too!

Cons

Because it's like a family, sometimes gets a little gossipy but to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and being open to all the great opportunities you've taken advantage of in the last few years!