Kelly Services Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kelly Services President, CEO, and Director Carl T. Camden
Carl T. Camden

Pros
  • Work from home LOVED the customers Learn something new daily (in 147 reviews)

• Good culture, work life balance (in 37 reviews)

Cons

1. "Pleasure to work with"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

- professional recruiters
    - easy to work with

Cons

I have not experienced any issues yet

Advice to Management

none at the moment

2. "Treatedy badly for my disability"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Kelly Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Was given work quickly. That's it.

Cons

(This happened many years ago, back when Kelly Services used to have an office at 20 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. A long time ago, but I need to vent. According to their website they are now at 33-39 Grey Street)

I enter to enquire about a job advertised in the window. A girl, all smiles, says "You sound perfect for a role I have in mind" and ushers me upstairs to meet some higher-up person. I'm made to feel really special for doing this, like it's a privilege.

The higher up is some woman behing a large, messy desk. I explain that I'm disabled and am currently saving up money for an operation that I can't get soon enough on the NHS. That's why, despite being ill, I'm going to struggle to work and save up money to pay a private hospital.

I explain that I may need the odd day off with my illness, as working really is a struggle.

"Ohhhh, that's all fine. We totally understand, don't you worry about that" etc. etc. She was really smarmy and soooooo understanding.

Then she told me what a 'fantastic' temp office job she had lined up for me, that I'd be perfect for it, and how much she and all the staff would sympathise with my situation and totally understand if I needed the odd day off to recuperate.

So I am given a role, and two days later I turn up at my new job. It's a horrible, dingy office. Fleas in the carpets. Mess everywhere. People crying at their desks with stress, etc. I end up with flea bites all over my legs. But, it's a job!

After a couple of weeks, I ask for a day off as my illness was getting very bad (after all, they "empathise"). I was literally going from bed to work and back to bed again. So I call up and speak to that same woman, saying I need a day to recuperate (as I had explained). She couldn't have been more rude. "You want a day off? What for?? Absolutely not!" etc. I remind her that she said they'd be understanding and would let me have the odd day off. She denies it all and threatens to sack me.

So I soldier on, desperate to save the money for my operation. Eventually after maybe three or four months (?), I'm lucky! A relative offers to pay for my operation - in full! So I call up Kelly Services again and explain. I say, "So I've managed to get money I need now, and the hospital have kindly brought the date forward to next week - so I think that..." then she interrupts me, "so you're not going back to work then???" And I say, "well, no."

Then she slams the phone down on me!

The next day I get my P45 in the post.

What a complete cow. I was not the only person to be treated badly by Kelly Services. I met many other temps employed by them. They ALL had problems -- the most common not being paid on time, or the wrong amount, or not being paid at all and waiting weeks for payment and compensation.

This was many years ago. Maybe it's not like that now. I don't know. But I will never forget how these people made me feel about myself and my disability - like worthless garbage.

Advice to Management

Make sure your staff have basic human feelings.

3. "Bad employer. Warning signs everywhere."

I worked at Kelly Services full-time

Pros

Lack of some bureaucracy and IT support was personal and helpful. LGBT friendly. Long history in the industry.

Cons

Management incompetent with lack of vision and direction. Poor benefits. Corporate culture is one where everyone has to agree with everything at all times. People are uninformed about the market and what the competition is doing. Latest recruitment tools not used. Mandatory training is weak and a joke. HR is lax on controls. Senior management is oblivious to charlatans amongst them. Overall unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Senior management only shows off Americans. It doesn't resonate globally as much as you think it does.

5. "Positive Experience"

Pros

Had a range of areas to get involved in. As my first foray into HR, it was the right opportunity for me.

Cons

Sometimes the expectations/deliverables were high without the commensurate support

6. "Kelly Services"

Pros

Friendly and positive staff generally

Cons

lack of organisation and sales

7. "good"

Pros

good perks and work environment

Cons

so stressful sometimes and high workload

8. "Director Managed Services"

Former Employee - Director in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agile, professional, engaging, with a real focus on employee needs and development.

Cons

Forgot brand, limited investment and lack of a cohesive sales structure.

Advice to Management

Be less political and focus on what truly matters - clients, candidates and your employees

9. "Resourcing Specialist"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Kelly Services as a contractor

Pros

Excellent environment, good pay, good variety of roles to work on

Cons

Not enough autonomy, could have better routes for progression

Advice to Management

converse in greater detail with staff in regards to improving sourcing.

"Permanent Recruitment"

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There weren't any. Really...none. Really wracking my brain and stillllll......nope, nothing.

Cons

Outdated recruitment methods. No training. Unrealistic expectations of recruitment in that area.

Advice to Management

Actively help your staff.

11. "Good Company with good prospects for development"

I worked at Kelly Services full-time

Pros

Great Career opportunities and development. Friendly and inclusive working environment. Collaborative culture in which the group of employees are made to feel part of something bigger than their team

Cons

poor benefits and low salary - lots of pressure to perform, and deliver regardless of scope of role. Expectations that you will put in long hours for the success of the company, but limited reward for this effort

Advice to Management

Make sure that you continue to listen to the workforce, but also consider showing the staff the impact of their work on the larger scale of the business

Showing 22 of 2,452 reviews