KellyMitchell Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 10, 2020

4.2
KellyMitchell Group Co-Founder & CEO Cassandra Sanford (no image)
Cassandra Sanford
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Get it while it's hot!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KellyMitchell Group full-time

Pros

I have worked at KellyMitchell as a Technical Recruiter for roughly a year now and can say that it truly is a company on the rise! Within my time here, i have seen numerous career advancement opportunities present themselves, and with an ever growing client base of Fortune 500 companies, hard work is most certainly recognized. KellyMitchell's Executive management team is a dominant force to be reckoned with, and with a young, hungry team of recruiters- the sky is the limit!

Cons

Terrific Work-Life Balance, and a laid back yet hard working office culture!

"Job"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at KellyMitchell Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

None really. You get to expense some things.

Cons

Poor management, no work-life balance. All they care about are numbers and meetings.

"Stay far away!"

1.0
    Former Employee - IT Technical Recruiter

I worked at KellyMitchell Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work there are the only way you make it through this job. The only fun part is the constant drinking with employees.

Cons

The turnover is so high for a reason. The management is very unprofessional. They put all stress on you as the lowest position in the company. They lie and tell you what you want to hear just to make THEM money. 0 work life balance. Come in early, work through lunch, stay after work late, work when you get home, and work on the weekends. Was convinced this place was not what I heard about and they showed true colors quickly.

4. "One of the best IT staffing firms to work for in the Chicagoland area!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KellyMitchell Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You truly can write your own pay checks and if you do well, there's no reason you shouldn't be making excellent money within the first 6 months. The CEO and the President take a personal interest in your professional development, and that's also very motivating. We work incredibly hard but we also make time each and every day to have fun, whether we're playing ping pong or checking out a great new lunch spot by our office in River North.

Cons

The work-life balance can feel challenging at times, especially when it's exceptionally busy. To counter this, you have the most opportunity to increase commissions and make great money when it's busy! Regardless, you are rewarded and acknowledged by upper management for hard work, and it does not go unnoticed.

"KellyMitchell's pristine, green grass is actually turf. Fake and all for show."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at KellyMitchell Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot working for KellyMitchell and gained a lot of valuable skills to take to another company. Since there is not a training program, you learn on the fly which forces you to work outside of your comfort zone and you learn a lot very quickly. I also truly enjoyed my coworkers and was happy to be able to collaborate with such lovely and hardworking people on a daily basis, including the other offices that you're branch is tied with.

Cons

The fall from grace at KM is hard and fast and turnover is extremely high. At some point, all recruiters are forced to write a positive review on glassdoor. When I was forced to write one, I was told to notify my manager so they could go on and make sure that it was acceptable. It was said by one of the C level employees: "there's no such thing is work life balance, work is your life." That may be true for some people when you're making 6 figures, but not for people who are working to just pay their rent. There's a huge focus on quantity over quality, which in the short term may pay off, but doesn't allow the recruiter to build real relationships with any of their current or prospective consultants.

"Moved on"

Technical Recruiter

I worked at KellyMitchell Group

Pros

The work is demanding and impactful, the organization is empowering, the people are impressive and great to work with, and up and down the company is always seeking ways to improve. I always felt like I was making a difference helping place people in jobs or even helping a candidate’s career moving in the direction they were hoping to go. The compensation is above average in recruiting. If you have motivation to work hard you will be paid accordingly.

Cons

This is not a happy place to work anymore. Cutthroat messaging from upper management is becoming the norm. Morale is declining as employees are worried about losing their jobs as resources seemed to consolidated and centralized. As the office shrinks, opportunities for professional growth and advancement is available, however, management is stretched too thin to provide adequate training to prepare individual for the role. The strong survive and the weak perish (metaphorically speaking) and the 'bar' is constantly increasing. The level of performance that would have been acceptable even a year ago will get you canned today. It's a kind of crucible that'll help you develop a harder edge, if you can survive, that can serve you well in your career and in life, but it's often not a pleasant experience. Burnout is real bad at this company, not good for work life balance. The all-consuming nature of the work - due to the nature of reaching prospective candidates that are out of the normal work hours and the fact that you're generally directly on the hook for placement of candidate’s success or failure, the hours can be very long. KellyMitchell seems to be aware of their high turnover rate and but doesn’t appear to try to ensure that employees don't get burnt out, personally it felt like their bottom line was more of a priority.

"Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at KellyMitchell Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

No day is the same at KellyMitchell. It is pretty neat seeing that some of the highest levels of management communicate with the lowest level employees without even having met them. Executives constantly show they care, even with a fun inspirational quote sent out in the morning sometimes. Overall, the Executive team, they are all wonderful people. They have very much the work hard, play hard mentality and make sure that the Sales Team has that mindset as well. Everyone in the office is very sociable, open minded and offer help whenever they can. There is no greater feeling than extending a contract offer to a candidate, especially after you have been taught to build a rapport with them. The training is thorough and you are given a mentor that oversees you for the first year at KellyMitchell. They ask in one on one conversations what you are doing well and where you need help almost every week, constantly wanting you to learn and be better.

Cons

It saddens me that this is not a happy place to work anymore. It is pretty standard to receive an intense/borderline cutthroat message from upper management over activity, leaving "early" or not exceeding expectations. Employees are consistently worried if they will lose their job for not performing enough, after already feeling they are worked to the bone. Management whispers about you if you leave before 5:45 in the afternoon after coming into the office around 7:30 AM. Some employees mention they feel they are employed on a "day by day basis". It is very much do or die. With that being said, burnout is common at this company and I believe the reason is that there there is no work life balance. If you take PTO, you will still be expected to meet metrics given to you, some people find themselves working during their PTO just to make ends meet. What is the point of even taking the personal time off if you still have to work. Working from home is not an option. Sometimes it almost feels like you are punished for taking personal time off. That time is given to each employee but then there is push back or attitude when they want to spend a day out of the office. The hours can be very long, weekend work is required. I would say on average each recruiter works 50-60 hours a week, depending on their pipeline of candidates and job volume. Internally, all of KellyMitchell seems to be aware of the high turnover in Technical Recruiters and but doesn’t appear to try to go the extra mile to make sure that employees don't get burnt out. Not many people make it the one year mark. Seems to be a much higher priority to increase their book of business by the end of the month over how many people quit working here (or get fired) It really is the truth that you get out what you put in, but the base salary is a little low compared to competitors. The compensation for your book of business is great IF you get hires. You don't really know the potential of what you can make here until you start seeing your commission checks. And it isn't guaranteed when that will happen.

KellyMitchell Group Response

June 8, 2015Director of Organization & Talent Development

At KM we believe in continuous improvement and strive to be the best we can be. We recognize we aren't perfect and that's why we believe it's important to listen. Thank you for expressing your thoughts; they didn't fall on deaf ears.

"Save yourself the hassle, don't work here"

2.0
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at KellyMitchell Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are the biggest highlight by far. Fun atmosphere around the office.

Cons

Extreme micromanagement, the worst I've ever seen. Managers clearly play favorites as indicated by their conversations and interactions with subordinates. Expected to stay "as late as you need to" in order to hit your numbers so don't expect any kind of work/life balance. Have to pay to park every day which they conveniently leave out until you show up for your first day.

"Fun company but definitely not for everyone"

4.0
    IT Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at KellyMitchell Group

Pros

Fun people, fun company, pretty good jobs to work on, lots of calls but you are calling people offering job opportunites

Cons

resume formatting, slow process from submitting candidates to getting any feedback from the client, over focused on daily goals and not focused on the end goal which is getting people jobs to make $$$, no work life balance

"Technical Recruiter"

I worked at KellyMitchell Group full-time

Pros

People, Managers, Free Beer/ food

Cons

Work/life balance, pay, high rate of turnover

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 English Reviews