Kelmar Associates LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

I worked at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits, friendly and helpful coworkers

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Associate"

I worked at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

Most managers were nice and laid back with the exception of a select few.

Cons

Very clicky and high turnover rate. Do not consider my time there beneficial to my career. Hire a large group of entry level post grads and let them go after a year or so. Your success depends on which team you are placed on and whether your managers are willing take the time to teach you. Otherwise, there's really no point.

"Misery, Mismanagement & Mediocrity"

I worked at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

They give you a paycheck.

Cons

I am writing this to anyone considering accepting a job offer from Kelmar. Before I begin, just let me say that the only reason to accept a position there is if you are desperate for money.

The first problem is the nature of the industry. The entire goal of a Kelmar audit is to hit a company with a penalty. Because of this adversarial nature, the "holders" as they are called (holders of unclaimed property), want nothing to do with you. You are a thorn in their side. There is no positive possible outcome for them and the whole process of digging up old bank statements, payroll records and unclaimed property forms is like pulling teeth for everyone involved.

Second, I can only speak for the California office (which I believe was shut down) but the company is terrible mismanaged. Managers don't do much of anything save for amazon shop and web browse. That leaves the company to be run by a hodgepodge group of college grads with degrees in things mostly non-accounting. Not that those kids were bad, in fact they were far and away more competent than the managers, but it is worth noting that accounting majors avoided this company like the plague and the company is forced to hire people who need a job.

Thirdly, the company insists that all hours an associate works be billable. But again, due to the adversarial nature of the business, companies do pretty much all they can to stall the audits leaving you with nothing to do. And because all the billable hours are paid for by the state of Delaware, there are an enormous amount of billable hours spent doing nothing, literally sitting at your desk with an open excel spreadsheet while you web browse because there is no conceivable work to be done.

Finally, the work is incredibly tedious and boring. Data entry is huge and time consuming. Would you like to enter nearly 700 thousand lines of bank statements into excel? Well then Kelmar is for you.

Anyway, I think I have pretty much summed up my experience at Kelmar. Avoid it unless you NEED a job.

Advice to Management

Keep milking those government contracts until the law puts you out of business I guess?

4. "Great environment, not great experience"

Former Employee - Audit Associate
    Former Employee - Audit Associate

I worked at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work life balance. Not a ton of hard deadlines. Relaxed dress code. Managers are great. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

The experience isn't going to get you very far. Wouldn't really even consider it auditing. Very niche. Company doesn't feel like it's doing very well due to legislative issues with new state statutes.

"Audit Associate"

I have been working at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

The atmosphere is laid back, casual dress, you acquire useful skills along the way.

Cons

The work is pretty dull and you are expected to know how to complete projects you have not worked on before. Communication is pretty slim.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent when relaying information and try to create a universal process that everyone can follow.

"Growing Company & Competitive Pay"

I worked at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great base pay to start (small annual raises and bonuses), affordable and top notch benefits and 401k. Accounting Dept. has the best Managing Staff!

Cons

The Unclaimed Property Dept. is poorly managed and overseen by staff not aware of daily happenings in the office.

Advice to Management

Place a Human Resource Specialist in the DE office so folks don't get too out of hand. Power in the wrong hands is harmful to everyone under them.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Wakefield, MA

Pros

Work-life balance and tremendous flexibility. Great culture, benefits and people

Cons

Industry changes, niche market, team structure

Advice to Management

Consistent and transparent message to the workforce regarding long-term stability and vision for the future.

In growth periods, recruit from varied colleges and universities rather than continuously going to the same locations

8. "Great First Job - Not for the long term."

I have been working at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

Work/Life Balance is very fair
    Flexible Hours
    Great co-workers

Cons

Communication between departments can be VERY difficult.
    Due to communication issues when working on time sensitive projects can be very stressful.
    Pay is great for someone starting out of college, however raises that may come with promotions is very minimal.
    Bonuses are very minimal as well.
    No 401K...

Advice to Management

Company policies are meant to be followed.
    Pay your employees what they are worth.
    Greatly improve communication between departments.

9. "Audit Associate"

I have been working at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Non-hostile, non-competitive. Everybody is friendly and takes time to consider your needs both personal and from a training perspective. Salary is fairly good considering the low-difficulty of the work.

Cons

Company is not performing very well right now. Recent amendments to Delaware Unclaimed Property Law have made it more difficult for the company to make money from its primary audit function. It's divergence away from primary GL auditing will keep the company afloat but may cause overall turbulence for incoming and outgoing employees.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job considering the status of the company as a whole. Generally speaking, Typically understanding and relatable. They did not always do a good job of expressing the condition of the company however.

10. "Won't stay here much longer"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at Kelmar Associates LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a candy bowl when you walk in. Every time you go to the bathroom you can grab candy, some times I grab a whole handful!

Cons

I'm not really going to list them. The other reviews all said a lot already...not much more I could add

Advice to Management

The way you treat people really affects how much they enjoy work. Just keep that in mind. A lot of people feel under appreciated and are aware of the things said behind their backs about them personally and professionally.