Kelton Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kelton CEO and Co-Founder Tom Bernthal
Tom Bernthal

1. "Great culture, great place to grow"

I have been working at Kelton full-time

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to grow and gain experience in all stages of a project. Great culture and it's a very flat organization, not subject to the office politics of bigger companies. The client list is growing and there are really interesting projects coming in.

Cons

Sometimes feel strained for resources. During busy times, there can feel like there are bottlenecks and can feel understaffed for the amount of work coming in. To maintain the culture, hiring is very selective and doesn't always keep up with the growth in projects.

2. "Simply the best. Really unique."

I have been working at Kelton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and fantastic people. Fun, supportive, collaborative, a wonderful place to grow. Senior partners work closely to train and teach. Lots of exposure to clients early on and a ton of responsibility if you want it. So proud of the work we do and team we have here.

Cons

Would love to see a new office space in SF and a bigger one in Chicago. Not much to say on cons, the senior management is doing a fantastic job.

Advice to Management

With continued growth, let's not lose this great culture.

3. "Unique culture, great place to learn and work"

I have been working at Kelton full-time

Pros

Cultivating environment structured to promote learning and personal goals. Unique culture and strong sense of community. People who genuinely enjoy their work.

Cons

Potentially moving offices out of Culver City.

"Great people, interesting work, going through changes"

I have been working at Kelton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A solid group of researchers both on quant and qual sides. The work is also interesting with a great list of clients. Flexible work from home policies.

Cons

LA has incredible leadership and the normal office politics are practically non-existent. In the NY office, the politics are suffocating and there is a lot of pettiness and is resonant of a high school clique culture. This is a sad development as it wasn't always this way. For whatever reason culture in NY started to go down over the last year and leadership became isolating. The upside is that there are changes afoot that will hopefully restore some order. Also- forget work/life balance- you work around the clock, weekends, nights, etc. granted you can do it from home easily.

6. "Internship"

Former Employee - Quantitative Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quantitative Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Supportive office culture, collaborative staff, helpful training

Cons

Small and young, still needs to figure out management

Advice to Management

Don't overstretch your high level managers with internship tasks

"Fast growing company with lots of opportunities for advancement"

I have been working at Kelton full-time

Pros

Like many of the other reviews have stated, it's the people at Kelton that make this such a great place to work. Everyone is enthusiastic about the work that they are doing, and it's a really collaborative environment.

We also get to work with amazing brands (like PetSmart, Coca-Cola, and Bloomingdales just to name a few) to help them solve interesting business challenges. I'm never bored at work, and I think our projects are making a real impact.

Kelton provides employees with lots of leadership opportunities. If you have an idea for a new initiative then you just need to put together a plan for the senior management and (more often than not) they'll help you refine it and develop it.

Cons

Kelton isn't a place for people who like "how to" manuals. Clients are always throwing new challenges our way, and we need to think up creative new approaches to meet their needs. That means a lot of quick thinking and trying new things, which not all people are comfortable with. There's also a lot of on-the-job training which I think some people find challenging.

Advice to Management

Slow down...the fast growth means that hiring can't always keep up with the number of projects coming in. When that happens, people get stretched a bit thin.

"Tons of fun, but no one actually understands research here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kelton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think the people at Kelton are great. I have friends here that I know I will stay in touch with for years.

Cons

I have been working at Kelton for almost a year and still have not met anyone who actually knows about research. All my training has been on sales and how to talk to client and make them happy. But there's no focus on doing real, intelligent work based on data.

Advice to Management

Managers and senior staff need to take some basic training on research. That'll help everyone here.

"No one there actually knows anything about research...but they love to sell!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kelton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of happy hours and free food! Cool looking office.

Cons

Management doesn't have any actual research training. They are just salespeople. They will say anything to sell a project.

Advice to Management

Send your staff to some actual research seminars to get some training. You should probably attend some too!

10. "Amazing culture - such an enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Kelton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) The culture first and foremost! One of the top interview considerations is "would I want to sit next to this person on a plane for hours", and that really shows in the culture. Everyone is nice, intelligent and a pleasure to work with. 2) You get tons of hands-on experience with all different types of projects. 3) There's a flat communication hierarchy, so people at all levels are accessible to everyone. 4) The clients. They're well-known brands that provide really interesting project work.

Cons

1) Workloads can get pretty heavy. Must be willing to work hard and have long hours at times. 2) It's definitely not for everyone - those who aren't a cultural fit don't stick around long. 3) If you don't speak up about what type of work you want to be doing, you could get staffed on projects you don't enjoy (...that would be your own fault though)

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. The growth and changes occurring here are exciting - keep them coming!

"Say whatever it takes to sell and try to figure it out later on"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at Kelton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office with free snacks

Cons

Where do I start? The owners will say anything to sell a project and then dump it on their staff who have to figure out how to make it happen. Sometimes it works but lots of time is doesn't and you end up cutting corners and doing whatever it takes to get your report done, even if the numbers aren't really right. No one will ask you how you got it done because they don't care. Just so long as the check comes in the mail.

Advice to Management

Maybe you should learn a thing or two about real research. Cause your misleading clients about what you can do, your experience, and what you can actually discover in research. Also you need to stop taking credit for your staff's work when you didn't actually do anything on the project except come in at the last second and say a few things that we told you to say.